Negotiating wages...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Negotiating wages...

I have absolutely no experience in this but I have to do it sometime this week. It may be today, depending on how busy my new boss is. You see, I got a promotion at work and was told about it in the beginning of August. My new boss came to me last week and said we'd discuss pay etc. this week. I know that this position with 6 years seniority pays about $16/hr, however, I've only been with the company for 7 months. I'm hoping for $12-13/hr, but DH has told me to ask for $15/hr and talk down to 13. I'm not sure how to do this...any suggestions? I feel rude just asking for a certain wage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess that's how guys often do get better wages, they aren't worried about appearing rude they just are matter of fact.
    I've never been in your situation but I guess I'm thinking your hubby is right. Women worry too much about feelings instead of being more business like.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

here's how it usually goes.
    you'll be pulled privately aside by your boss (sometimes and HR rep. will be there too)... usually in their office.
    they'll discuss the job, the "promotion" that was received, goals, expectations of the 'new' job, etc.
    then you'll be asked about wage you feel you deserve.

don't be shy, don't be reserved. this is a time when a woman needs to be bold and confident.

state that you've done some research on the 'going wage' for that position and have noted that the average (for your state and/or local region) is 15$ (not 16, you want to seem conservative) and hour and that's what you would like to see. However, you are open to bargaining.

This puts the ball in the boss/HR's court to say "too high" or "ok".

You NEVER want to ask for too little... a company LOVES that woman are too shy to ask for what they deserve and feel less competant because of something they impose on themselves (ie, only working 7 mos.). They bank on this psychology.

So, just remember to be confident and KNOW that you are worth what you are asking for... and then, of course, you'll have to follow up by showing you are indeed worth it.

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When the topic comes up, I would say, "You selected me for this position because you felt that I was the best canidate for the position. I feel that my wage/salary should reflect that."

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

little story for you.

My wife was offered a new job..yay!! but this job took her months to find due to the economy being so bad in Michigan. There are many people looking for jobs so the competition is fierce.
    So she was offered the job..yay!! ... and she said she was going to ask for 3 weeks vacation. I was bummed out and scared for her. I tried to talk her out of it. What a dummy I am.

She asked and they said, "no problem". She starts the day after Labor day.

Don't be afraid to ask for what you want or think you should get, the worst they can say is no and give you another figure.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Them that don't ask, don't get.

If you know that senior types get $16, then, "I know the going rate for those w/ experience is $16. I don't have that kind of experience, yet, so I'd be willing to take around $15. How does that sound to you?" works very well indeed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be prepared in case "we'll discuss your pay" means him telling you what your pay WILL BE. They may not "ask" you. So be ready in case they tell you something you don't feel comfortable accepting.

If the negotiations end with you still feeling a bit slighted (say ~13/hour), ask if they will consider a 90-day review with a raise if you're doing a good job.

Good luck and congratulations!!
    Last edited by MerMcE; 08-19-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How did you go?

I'm interested to hear how this went, I work in Govt and so there is no negotiation on wages, you just get what they pay people who do your job.

I imagine that this would be nerve wraking though.

I agree with the other poster though, if you don't ask you wont get, be stong and confident.