Thinking about going back to work
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,898
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Thinking about going back to work

    I've been home for 6 years now, and as much as I like being away from the stress of working, I'm really bored. I know when we move into the new house in the fall that I will have a ton of projects to distract me, and maybe I'm just noticing the boredom more now because there is so little to do. I never planned or expected to be a SAHM, but after it happened I said I would never go back to work. It was so good to be away from the stress, especially the ordeal of arranging for childcare.

    The kids are going to school in the fall, and still will need me home in the morning and afternoon. I think the little one only has half days until Christmas, so that's only a couple hours in the morning that I'm available. I just can't deal with the daycare thing, so I will have to be here when they get home.

    I figured there was no way I could find a job that would work around my home schedule, so, I thought I would do some volunteer work at a local museum. I saw on their website that they needed researchers, contacted them and they said that once set up I could just work whenever. Then I got this thought that maybe I could also work on my own as a paid researcher (not a huge demand for this, but there is some, you can be put on a contact list at the archives).

    Anyway, we went to sign our mortgage application on Tuesday, and while we were there I was joking with the mortgage rep about coming to work as his assistant. By the time I left the office I don't think either of us was joking anymore. Now I'm all in turmoil trying to decide if I should call him. At first it seemed out of the question, then he asked if I would consider part time, that I could set my own schedule and maybe work from home later if they were comfortable with me (at this point I thought maybe I had drifted off into a fantasy). It's downtown, which means expensive parking and transportation and if I was only doing a few hours a day it would barely cover my costs. The pay isn't great - but then I was planning to work for nothing at the museum. So here I am, considering taking a job that won't do much more than disrupt the house - and yet part of me really, really wants it. As much as I hate to admit it, I miss the bank.

    Sorry, I'm rambling, but I'm trying to sort this out and need a sounding board.

  2. #2
    Competent Cheapskate
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Age
    50
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    So here I am, considering taking a job that won't do much more than disrupt the house - and yet part of me really, really wants it.
    Hi monkeywrangler71!

    Soundboard? From your post, I can totally feel how this decision is tugging you two ways. Seems like you are weighing the potential personal benefits of getting out of the house against the cost of the family disruption. That's a tough one. You are not rambling... It's healthy to think out loud. What are your thoughts since your last post?

    Peace

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    not here
    Posts
    4,575
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    What is the loss if you try it out? You find out it's not what you thought.

    What does the husband think?
    ~Russ

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Registered User Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,930
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    If this doesn't disrupt your household in any way - I say go for it and try it out as Russ suggested. Maybe ask if they'll cover your parking? I mean you're only there for a couple of hours right?

    Why don't you call him up and ask for specifics and try to work things out - so you truly have a better idea of what is expected and find out what will and will not be covered?

    A few hours/day is worth it to me. If I could be a stay at home mom (when the time comes) and be able to work a few hours/day to keep me from boredom and bring in a few bucks, I'd sooo be game!

    As an alternative - can you volunteer or be a p/t helper at your child(ren)s school?

  6. #5
    Registered User Momto5RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,053
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    you say they will let you work around kids schedules ??

    what about when the kids have 1/2 days ..are sick - have days off that arent regular non working holidays.. have extended days off Christmas vacation etc .

    how far away are you from the kids school at this job will it be a stressful thing for you if theres unexpected traffic and get to school late for pick up ( i am not sure how many kid sor how old they are ).

    will you be in on mortgage closings helping with papers etc because i woudl worry about a 12n appt showing up at 1 and then setting everything back an hour including your leaving .

    you would have to make i known you need to leave at such and such a time no matter what .

    alot of time jobs will claim they will flex with you and then work on unflexing you so to say, just to see if they can get you to do what they want .



    just telling you things that add stress to my work day

    i do home healthcare - i do enoigh work that i could be considered PT get benefits - paid days off paid sick time etc - but i am nervous about the above things so i stay per deim where i control my schedule better ..take on patients to case manage at my own discression - i stay within 5-8 miles or less of my home or my kids school - even the office is less then 10 miles or 15 min from my kids school.

    most stressfull things for me were not the not being home during day to food shop - or prep meals early - or clean and do laundry but the few times i got stuck at a patients house further away then i go now and wasnt sure if i could get to the school in time .

    My 13 yo is there at the same school for the 9 yo but it just upsets him and stresses him in a way that affects the whole rest of his day if i am just a few minutes late .

    since i can schedule my patients myself ... i can stop early on 1/2 days or slow down when i know a holiday week is coming up and let my 16 yo babysit a few hours - but not as much as i usually work.

  7. #6
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,898
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMom123 View Post
    Hi monkeywrangler71!
    What are your thoughts since your last post?

    Peace
    Waffling back and forth

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What does the husband think?
    He thinks that me working will somehow make life easier for him - but he's not thought it through very clearly. His job will continue to be as overwhelming as always, regardless of what I'm doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Maybe ask if they'll cover your parking? I mean you're only there for a couple of hours right?

    As an alternative - can you volunteer or be a p/t helper at your child(ren)s school?
    They won't cover parking.
    I definitely don't want to be in the school, I need to be around adults now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Momto5RN View Post
    you say they will let you work around kids schedules ??

    what about when the kids have 1/2 days ..are sick - have days off that arent regular non working holidays.. have extended days off Christmas vacation etc .

    how far away are you from the kids school at this job will it be a stressful thing for you if theres unexpected traffic and get to school late for pick up ( i am not sure how many kid sor how old they are ).

    will you be in on mortgage closings helping with papers etc because i woudl worry about a 12n appt showing up at 1 and then setting everything back an hour including your leaving .

    you would have to make i known you need to leave at such and such a time no matter what .

    alot of time jobs will claim they will flex with you and then work on unflexing you so to say, just to see if they can get you to do what they want .



    just telling you things that add stress to my work day

    i do home healthcare - i do enoigh work that i could be considered PT get benefits - paid days off paid sick time etc - but i am nervous about the above things so i stay per deim where i control my schedule better ..take on patients to case manage at my own discression - i stay within 5-8 miles or less of my home or my kids school - even the office is less then 10 miles or 15 min from my kids school.

    most stressfull things for me were not the not being home during day to food shop - or prep meals early - or clean and do laundry but the few times i got stuck at a patients house further away then i go now and wasnt sure if i could get to the school in time .

    My 13 yo is there at the same school for the 9 yo but it just upsets him and stresses him in a way that affects the whole rest of his day if i am just a few minutes late .

    since i can schedule my patients myself ... i can stop early on 1/2 days or slow down when i know a holiday week is coming up and let my 16 yo babysit a few hours - but not as much as i usually work.
    Thank you, lots of points to think about. He just needs admin work done, no clients, but I'm not sure exactly what and whether there would be stuff that has to be finished on a certain day or if it's just to help keep him caught up. The kids would take the bus, so my biggest fear would be not getting there on time to meet it, and I would definitely panic if there was traffic in my way.

  8. #7
    Registered User knitnmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Is there a college nearby where you might be able to take a class or two? Maybe something that really interests you? I do medical transcription at home and I really can't beat the flexibility thing. I went to school on-line when my kids were smaller and then found a job as an independent contractor.

    Just a few more thoughts....
    Tami

  9. #8
     is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I kind of know how you feel. I was laid off right after my son was born, and even though I stayed home with him for 6 months, I ended up bored and missing adult interaction.

    I'd probably give it a try, but hey, that's what I did (I went back to work). Financially we come out ahead, but it's not a whole heck of a lot, and were certainly could afford it if I didn't. But I have found that I'm a much happier and more productive person when I work outside the home.

  10. #9
    Registered User mek42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Age
    45
    Posts
    867
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    What is your education? With a masters degree you could teach at community college as an adjunct. Day classes are hardest to fill, as most adjuncts do teaching as a second job in the evening.

Similar Threads

  1. Going back to work!
    By WV_mom_of2 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
  2. first day back to work :)
    By pita1213 in forum Careers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 01:37 PM
  3. I'm thinking of starting to work for myself
    By sunnysideup in forum Careers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM
  4. Going back to work p/t
    By Cricket1 in forum Careers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 08:31 PM
  5. I am going back to work
    By bee9984 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 11:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •