Afterschool care, what to charge??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Afterschool care, what to charge??

My neighbors across the street would like me to watch their 3 school-aged children after school every day. They would come over to my house (I have 2 kids under the age of 3).
    They are in an after-school program at a daycare center, but the parents don't like the new owner.
    How much should I charge? I'm thinking I'll have them every day from after school until 6pm.
    He said it would be an hourly rate, but I could probably also get a flat daily or weekly rate if I suggested it.

Help!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

angelynnb - sounds like you're doing this out of your home as a favour type thing and am I wrong in assuming that you're not a licensed care provider with an approved home? Do some sleuthing, call around to others offering home care and ask what they'd charge for a few hours after school etc. Go from there

Also, please get something in writing including the rate of pay, how and when you will be paid, how many hours you're going to watch the kids, do you need to pick them up? Do you need to feed them? Factor those things in and make sure everything is covered. Cover yourself.

I think an hourly rate sounds reasonable - this way if he's late some nights you get compensated. Also add a clause that you will do a trial run of 2 wks to a month first to see if YOU can handle the extra kids. If you can't...you won't be bound to caring for them. Sometimes your sanity isn't worth the money.

Thats some adjustment to handle!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great advice Libby!! Is there a fallback if you and/or your children are ill? Please let us know what you find out - I am sure that rates differ all around the country!! Good luck!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How much does the after school program charge? I would knock a few bucks off that. Three kids from about 3ish to 6ish five days a week...40 to 45 weekly at a flat rate and have them pay on Monday for the week and not Friday. Is that too cheap? I forgot how much this stuff cost.

Even if a kid is sick and not there, you still charge a flat rate. Better than hourly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is that per child Palooka? Would be pretty cheap if so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$20 a day sounds about average here for new jersey...Unless you are feeding them dinner. And this is for all 3. No one can, or will pay this per child. Even though if you were watching 1 child this is what you still should charge, but once people see thats what you want PER child, its always a no go...Or atleast in my experiances.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Is that per child Palooka? Would be pretty cheap if so.
    No, that is for all three weekly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    How much does the after school program charge? I would knock a few bucks off that. Three kids from about 3ish to 6ish five days a week...40 to 45 weekly at a flat rate and have them pay on Monday for the week and not Friday. Is that too cheap? I forgot how much this stuff cost.

Even if a kid is sick and not there, you still charge a flat rate. Better than hourly.
    Yeah, thats to cheap if its 5 days a week...but then again, I am not sure where the OP is located. Some states (like WV) I was making $3 an hour for 3 kids...thats what it came out to be hourly but it was a flat weekly rate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

$75-$100 weekly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's about 3 hours a day about 15 hours per week. I say 75 tops!

I think the OP should ask around and google her area. And yes it depends on if she is feeding them. After school day care usually doesn't include dinner, maybe a snack and it's all tax deductible if it's done right.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    It's about 3 hours a day about 15 hours per week. I say 75 tops!

I think the OP should ask around and google her area. And yes it depends on if she is feeding them. After school day care usually doesn't include dinner, maybe a snack and it's all tax deductible if it's done right.
    $75 sounds good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lets see what she comes back with after she's called local caregivers to see what they'd charge for those hours x 3 kids w/o dinner.

Surely an afternoon snack would be in order, no? Especially if she's not serving dinner. I mean what do you do when one child is sick, you still take them in? What do you do when the dad is running late or really late? Will you have to feed them, bathe them and have them lay on the couch/bed/floor at bedtime until he gets there? Will she be expected to take them pick them up from pre-k? Will she be registered as a 'safe person w/photo' to do so? (some schools require this here b/c kids are easily lured away by strangers) What about dropping them places or is she expected to take them with her? Car seats - is there even a car involved. What to do in an emergency - who takes his kids while she tends to her emergency? I know I'm being extreme here but I just like to have my bases covered. If I were in this situation I'd be documenting everything with 2 signed copies. (if this was a one time thing, no worries but this is ongoing and legit) Hmm....is this under the table or will she have to pay taxes and claim (extra) income?

KWIM? Lots of things/scenarios to think of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not sure where you live...i pay a sitter $10/hr no matter what. that is the going rate.

charge in 15 minute increments. use the seven minute rule. so, it the childen get picked up at 6:08pm, they get charged up til 6:15. if they get picked up 6:06pm, they only get charged til 6pm. that way it evens out.

i say charge about $15/hr as there are three children. if they are eating your snacks, add a $15 charge every friday at pickup time.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally, I would find out what their daycare centre charges now for the after school program and decide my rate after that.

I'm thinking $10 per hour for three kids sounds reasonable especially if you're going to give them a snack to tide them over to supper. But then again I don't know what the daycare centre charges.

Once you set your rate, make a contract stating the rate and when they are to pay. In my home childcare contract, I have all the parents pay at the beginning of the week for the week. I get paid for their children's sick days regardless of whether they come or not. Figure out all the details before accepting this family. Make it a professional business arrangement. If you become friends with them, they'll think they can ask for favours or barter down your price....so my word of caution is don't become friends (other than a friendly business parternship) with them. KWIM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll be calling around to several day care places in the area today. I'll let you know what I find.

A little more on the situation: The children are from ages 6 to 10. The father is going to be working from home, but still needs his space until 6pm. Them being at my home will allow him the quiet and ease knowing I can come over if there are any issues or emergencies. That would also help with the "sick child" scenario.
    I agree with the flat rate per week or per day. Seems like it would be less stressful than figuring out minutes! I will be sending them home at the same time every day. So really there shouldn't be a problem with late pick up.
    I know 3 children and under is still legal in the state of Georgia (with no license). It would be paid in cash, I believe. Do I declare this money on my tax return? (What is the honest thing to do?)
    I'm worried if I come to him with a contract, it will embarass him. Is there a neighbor-friendly contract online some where?

Sorry, lots more questions. But you guys are so helpful!

BTW- I would probably watch them early on days school is let out early or teacher work days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast