To downgrade or not?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default To downgrade or not?

Hi everyone,

Currently I work full time as an assistant manger, I make $14.50 an hour, 40 hour weeks, the pay is great for me. I just DO NOT like the job and the scheduling has me overwhelmed with working sometimes 9 days in a row and makes me feel like I have NO time for anything, including family.

I am contemplating finding a new job (I have an upcoming interview) for a part-time position with less pay I am sure, but it's a job I had 7 years ago and I loved it!

With my budget in mind, I would just need to bring home around $900-$1000 a month to make ends meet with a little left over to save BUT I would have time for family my pets, my home, etc...

Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm all for doing what makes you happy. I would maybe want a little more cushion if I was counting on only my income. However there are lots of ways to get a bit of extra cash on the side. Is there anyway if your current job really wanted to keep you they would give you a better schedule that allows more time for your family. I managed a salon years ago and 6 months of working 14 days on 1 off was the reason I stepped down and went PT. It also gave me more time to do the things that saved us $.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried talking to my manager and asked about possibly only 4 days a week and she said Asst. Managers are required to work 40. I know I would have a cushion since my DH works as well and I can do stuff on the side without a problem if needed. I just need time for me and the family.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since your not the only income as long as you can afford it I would do what makes you happy. In my book family comes first. Thats the reason I quit being a salon manager many years ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The hubby on the other hand doesn't want me to go part-time and that's another issue in itself. He just doesn't understand my whole way of thinking. I know I can be frugal and cut corners like I've done for years (as many of you know). I know that if I am happy he will be as well, just trying to convince him might take some time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are trying to pay debt I don't think that not liking a good paying job is a legitimate reason to quit. However judging by your username you have children? How much is daycare costing you? I think for most people after you subtract all the expenses that you could save if you were at home, there probably is not that much difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All my children are grown, I've been here since I had smaller children. I dont pay daycare and the only debt I have is my car and my one credit card. We do have a mortgage but the hubby pays that with his paychecks and the other necessities we need as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh almost forgot, I think you have to be happy and like your job to make you want to go in, JMHO.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tracy, I know you can tighten your belt and do this! You actually were the reason I joined FV. You had some pictures of your decorating with primatives and I could not look at them since I was not a member so I joined!! What I remember most was your super duper low grocery bill! I wonder now what your budget is and if you eat the same way ( lots of pink beans and chicken legs . It is odd the things I remember I know! I can walk in the other room and forget what I went to get.....LOL

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMomof3 View Post
    Oh almost forgot, I think you have to be happy and like your job to make you want to go in, JMHO.
    Yep, I totally agree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

AWE TDN! Wow you remember that? lol... Yes we do still eat rice, beans and chicken A LOT, but we also make pastas (which last us days) and other cheap long lasting type meals where we don't mind having leftovers. I do still decorate with primitives too but I have then learned to make my own candles (it's cheaper and always scented how I want and I make my own dolls and flea markets are my favorite to find goodies to keep as is or even refinish them! But I also know I CAN do this!

I firmly believe that money shouldn't be the reason to stay at a job, if you DO NOT like to go into a job everyday then your going to be miserable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey everyone, just an update.... I am no longer at the job I disliked YAY! I am cleaning houses part-time to bring in some extra cash and course being frugal and watching what I spend. I do have another job lined up possibly next week I start, it is full-time but a set schedule Sunday-Wednesday 7:30am-6pm (Yes 10 hour days) but it's what I need when it comes to a set schedule. Pay is good but the health benefits are amazing, super plus.