Frugal Village Forums banner

I QUIT My Job!!!

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  ABerryia 
#1 ·
This week, I walked into my boss' office and gave notice for my job of ten years. I am going FULL TIME with my awesome side business that I am so passionate about where I get to help professionals reach their full potential through certification and education.

I am TERRIFIED!

But I am also SUPER EXCITED!

I have been thinking about starting my own business for MANY years. In January 2014, I started taking steps to really focus on it and build it up, with the intention that when the time was right, I would transition to it full time.

I had a whole bunch of items I needed to check before I would consider it. I wanted to reach certain income milestone, to pay off some significant debt, and a few other things.

I have had several opportunities arise recently that led me to believe the time was near.

Earlier this week, I decided to put together a list of ways I could make a little more money to offset walking away from my day job. In that hour, I came up with 24 different ways I could expand the business (or do a few minor side gigs if needed).

Yup, it was definitely time. I decided that the stars had aligned.

My husband is on board with this (though understandably a bit nervous). His only request is that I shower every day and get dressed (LOL, he's read too many stories about the self employed) and that the regular bills get paid.

Those are pretty reasonable requests, I guess. LOL

So, I'm doing it! Effective October 16, 2017, I will be working as the Owner of my own business full time.

I've got several other initiatives I'll be rolling out in the next few months including writing projects, seminars, online classes, and more.

I'm so excited to see where this business ends up taking me. (Ha! I know one place! I have been asked to speak in London in March!!!)

I'm truly beyond thrilled to be transitioning to this business full time.

Have an absolutely awesome day and weekend!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations and good luck.

Reactions: MsMarieH
#7 ·
Congratulations and wishing you the best of luck. Reading your posts on the other thread I'm sure you'll succeed.

Reactions: MsMarieH
#15 ·
I would NOT quit without something else lined up unless 100% of the bills are covered in some other way (such as spouse's income). Worse case scenario, you get fired (I assume based on what you wrote that is the worse case scenario) but then you may get a severance package, so you might as well stick it out.

So the question is, what do you want to be doing instead? Finding another job? Starting your own business? Only you can determine the right destiny for yourself. I encourage you to sit down and do a serious strategic plan for where you want to be in five years - then do a SWOT (strengths-weaknesses-opportunies-threats) analysis to figure out where you are now, then a gap analysis to figure out how to get from point A to point B.

Best of luck to you!

As for anyone else who might be wondering how my journey has gone, I'm doing fantastic and my business is doing awesome. I'm getting ready to head to New Zealand and Australia for speaking gigs, I've hit my income milestones on or ahead of schedule for 2019, I've got several great opportunities on the horizon. I am LOVING life!

#13 ·
Are you thinking lay off? What kind of time frame do you think you're looking at?

#14 ·
Would you be able to stick around around at your current job, even if it is bad, til you find someplace else?

Unless you are thinking about self employment or retirement, it is generally best to have something lined up before you go to another job.

Even if you anticipate lay offs, it is probably better to stick around til it happens. An exception would be if the change is something that might look bad on a resume. For example, in some reorganizations some people get assigned to a job that looks like a demotion. In one reorganization I personally know of, if was decided to consolidate offices and have less managers. As a result, many managers were shifted to non-supervisory positions.

#19 ·
The same feeling man, I thought that teaching was my vocation but I get dissappointed when I had some difficulties to get well with teenagers. I decided to quit and try smth new, IT. I was looking for some courses and CISCO was the best option. Athough, to prepare for the examination was really hard work to be done. For this reason CCNP Dumps helped me a lot. I passed! There is the same happiness as to quit a this job. Although, I miss my kids!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.