I need your advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I need your advice.

I have posted in the past, that my job is driving me crazy. I work in retail, I have worked retail for the last 10 years or so. The store I work at has a management style that could be described as using bully tactics. Piting one employee against another, making sales demands that are really not possible, cutting hours and scheduals that are constantly changing, and the store is so short staffed that the when you are working you are expected to do the work of 2 people. Physically it is exhausting. They now have a new way of doing the schedule, by way of a computer program. this program just plugs in people when they are needed the most. Since I am full time, to get my hours based on need, I am scheduled for 4 nights a week, for the next month. I tried to speak to the man who does the schedule, explaining that I
    didnt think I would be working 4 nights a week, and that when I was hired I explained I didnt want to work more than 1 night a week, and that was agreed upon, or so I thought. He told me that to get my hours, I would have to work the new schedule. I feel so stressed at work, that it is starting to affect me at home. It doesnt appear that the situation is going to change in the near future.

I left my other job several months ago. Mostly due to the schedule. I really didnt like working the 2 nights required, plus I was offered more money from this new job.

I dont know what got into me, but the other day I called the Human Resources person at my old job. I inquired about coming back. She said that they would love to have me. We have an appointment later in the week. I am sure they would meet my new salary, or at least come close. I would like to be able to get a job in an office or something outside retail, but I cant. I have been in retail so long, that according to most non retail Human Resource personnel, I have no marketable job skills. Unless I go back to school. Right now that is not an option, since I will need to carry the health insurance benefits for at least the next six months, while my dh builds his new business.

Should I go back to the old place? I am somewhat confused. Is is just a case of the grass being greener. One problem with going back is the schedule, although I know I wasnt crazy about it, at least I wont have to work as many nights. Physically it isnt as exhausting, and the sales demands are not as bad. The conditions are generally better than where I am working now.

I also think I am going to be a little embarassed going back, when I have to answer all the questions.
    What would you do?

Last edited by jinx; 04-07-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm...it doesn't sound like you're sold on going back to the old place and you don't want to be at your current place. I've done this same thing before (I happen to work retail, too)and it didn't work out for me b/c when I got back to the old place, I remembered why I left in the first place!!

Do you think it might be time to try something new? Something other than retail, if possible? Maybe just a different store? I know retail doesn't typically pay that well, so you may have to take a decrease going to a new job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with whatever you decide!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know eventually I will have to try something new. I have applied for jobs outside retail. It is very hard to make the transition. Even for entry level. I will have to back to school and learn things, like Microsoft office. but right now that isnt possible, with the new business and all. The old place will let me start the signority I left with, and will give me benefits right away. I feel it's a case of "better the devil you know"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is there a local community run organisation which gives free "office skills" courses for people in your position? We have something like that here in Australia, for those who can't afford to go back to school and want to learn new skills after office hours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't listen to anyone who says you don't have marketable job skills, including yourself. Sit down make yourself a list of your skills, wants and needs. Even if you have to stay in retail to make a living that doesn't mean you can't strive for something different.
    I did this very thing for two years and at times it is the only thing that kept me going back to a job I hated. People were rude there, always short-staffed uggggggg it was horrible. On top of that I was 'ganged' up on by a group of employees. I was followed, damage done to my car....police where involved. It went on and on.
    That retail job may only be a speck on your career and only there to help you to 'see' you need a change and appreciate whatever change comes your way.
    Please don't give up hope. Hope can carry us through.
    Please remember to be good to yourself even when others are not.

Sincerely

Julieb

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't listen to anyone who says you don't have marketable job skills, including yourself. Sit down make yourself a list of your skills, wants and needs. Even if you have to stay in retail to make a living that doesn't mean you can't strive for something different.
    I did this very thing for two years and at times it is the only thing that kept me going back to a job I hated. People were rude there, always short-staffed uggggggg it was horrible. On top of that I was 'ganged' up on by a group of employees. I was followed, damage done to my car....police where involved. It went on and on.
    That retail job may only be a speck on your career and only there to help you to 'see' you need a change and appreciate whatever change comes your way.
    Please don't give up hope. Hope can carry us through.
    Please remember to be good to yourself even when others are not.

Sincerely

Julieb