Time Management - How do I get everything done?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I work a full time job and a part time job and spend a lot of time at the gym, too. I know what you mean by not having enough hours in the day.

I use the Flylady system and find great success with it. Some people don't like her, but I think she's great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been doing good with my plan. I am really amazed at how much you can get done in 15 minutes. As for my filing. I have an expandable file with 12 slots in it, one for each month, so all of the month's receipts go in there. I really like it and I can find which month I bought something by looking at my Quickbooks file. Thanks everyone!

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the 15 minute increments also, I find I fit a lot in and still have time for the kids and such. I have also found that dragging myself out of bed 15 minutes earlier helps me get laundry away, otherwise I have a tendency to ignore it, feeling eventually they will wear it so it will come out of the basket then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i know what youre going through. sometimes i come home and find everything everywhere and i feel like i spend my whole day off cleaning, which isnt really a day off at all! i try to tackle one thing at a time. one day laundry, one day dishes, one day sweeping and dusting. -- i havent had huge success with this though.. so i think i'll borrow some of the examples that other people have posted

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you're doing great with the small increments system. I've done the following things over the years (I'm getting ready to give 30 minutes to the kitchen!):

1. Cleaning parties with friends. I kid you not. Three people doing house work takes a fraction of the time. We get to socialize and usually have a nice glass of wine together afterwards. We rotate houses so that everyone is helped.

2. Hire someone. Yes, you heard me. Terribly un-thrifty, but sometimes I feel my time is worth more. I live in CA where the cost of living is crazy and the commute will add 2-3 hours onto my day, but the domestic help is very reasonable. I'll have them do the big, nasty things I don't want to do that need to be done rarely. I swear, it's the best money I've ever spent. I've decided that when I am able to afford regular help, I'm going to get it. It's actually a motivator to spend less each day!

Happy cleaning,
    CF

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And p.s., thanks for the FlyLady link.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got the same problem with trying to keep the house clean and working full-time Monday - Friday. Hubby is retired and I give him a list of things that need to be done during the day for him and the kids to do and of course, he "forgets". So, I started to send him emails from work letting him know what I needed done that day and wouldn't you know, it worked?! He's prints it out and then tells the kids what they need to do and it's usually done by the time I get home.

I do most of my big cleaning on the weekend, which takes me about an hour, but atleast the basics get done during the week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was working full time, I used to do my shopping on my way from work. I was tired from work anyway, so doing the shopping with a list made me very fast for wanting to get home. I menu-planned for the week.

Also, every night before going to bed, I clear up the room: take dirty dishes to the kitchen, straighten the sofa and put everything (books, remote controls, etc.) back in its place. I hate coming down to a messy room in the morning. It also means that my room is ready for company any time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My Time Management (Rough) Schedule

I work a full 40+ hours a week as well and I've learned that you can't have a perfect house, all the time. Its just not humanly possible

What I do every night before bed - which takes about 1/2 hour max:

* picked up the living room and put things back where they belong (dishes upstairs etc)
    * pick out my next day's outfit
    * pack my bag for work and purse etc
    * pack my lunch
    * tidy up the kitchen and wash all dishes AFTER I've packed my lunch

There are days where I will take out all the garbage/recycling to the curb for the next am's pick up. I will also do a 'rountine maintenance' twice a week clean on my bathroom - scrub toilet, sink and mirrors and I empty the garbage. Shower stall gets done once every 2 - 3 weeks.

I used to wait 3 wks to do my laundry but it was a huge chore and took an entire day....I now do it once a week be it one load or 3 if the bf brings his over to help make mine fuller (colours, darks, whites etc). Since I hang them to dry on racks I need to plan my laundry evening well in advance of when I would need specific clothes for work or a social outing.

And I try to squish in a walk or exercise time somewhere after work and before bed along with shopping/errands/groceries on the way home from work if I can.

Thats how I am able to keep a balance....now Im a clutter bug as well so I will try to make a list of goals or things I want done in that week and post that list so I have to see it daily. Or I will pick one project off that list and take a week to do it - tackle it for about 30 mins/day and keep going until its done.

I've also tried to use a calendar print out grid and I marked garbage days on it so I knew when I had to have it out on the curb. Which days were deemed laundry, grocery shopping and bathroom cleaning days. That did work for a bit before I fell off the wagon....all in all...just do what you need to get done and the rest will follow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hi
    these tips are very helpful for me.as i'm always looking for methods to streamline my time management

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

tervsforme
    sorry for digging up an old post but i'm in the same boat now and i also work full time
    these tips are incredible and i will apply it in my daily life as well. the 15 minutes method sound very doable. i also don't feel like doing anything when i get home from office.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12