Cattle Rustler's Hash

Recipe Description
This is a great casserole that I have made a few different ways. The recipe is from a late 70's set by Southern Living
Preparation Steps:
Thaw hamburger, does anyone not keep it frozen? I use a cast iron dutch oven for this recipe as you have to put it in the oven for awhile.
Level of Difficulty:
Easy
Time Needed:
1 hr
Ingredients:
1 small package Macaroni
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 c finely cut onion
2 TBSP Chili blend (powder)
1 tsp salt
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
Serves:
Directions:
Cook the macaroni according to package directions and drain. Brown the beef in an ovenproof skillet, then push to one side and add the onion. Cook until limp but not brown. Add the chili blend, salt and tomato sauce and mix well. Cover skillet and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the macaroni to the beef mixture, then top with the cheese. Spread the soup over the top. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. 6 servings

I substitute an equal amount of white sauce for the soup sometimes; I also use a pint of home canned tomatoes in lieu of the tomato sauce. I use a box of the cheap mac and cheese for the package of macaroni. I just sprinkle the cheese powder over the mixture before I add the macaroni. I will also use half hamburger and half sausage occasionally.

I have not tried TVP or chicken with this, but I bet it would be good.