Chocolate Milk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Milk

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Chocolate Milk

Does anyone have recipe for Chocolate Milk? I know this may sound crazy. I like Chocolate Milk but the "high fructose corn syrup" that is in the Syrups used to mix in the milk are soo bad for you. Is there some way to make a powder (like ovaltine) to put in milk to make it chocolate. I tried to put cocoa powder and sugar in milk one time but it just didn't taste right. Am I missing something or would it just be better to buy ovaltine? Please don't think I am crazy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use a HM syrup.

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 cup water
    2 cups sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the water & cocoa with a whisk. Heat on the stove & add sugar. Stir until it dissolves. Then bring to a boil & reduce heat & boil for 3 minutes (HAS to be 3 minutes at least). Remove from heat & add salt & vanilla. Let cool & put in some sort of container in the fridge.

I haven't bought hershey's syrup for a couple of years.

When added to the milk, it may not mix ad well as a powder, but honestly, we like the flavor better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have one for syrup and i have never tried it so if it turns out nasty dont blame me!

1/2 c unsweetend cocoa
    1 c water
    2 c sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp vanilla

mix cocoa and water with wisk. heat. add sugar until it disolves. bring to rolling boil. reduce to med and boil for 3 mins. remove from heat and add salt and vanilla.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

darn you beat me to it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, you guys are quick. I want to try one tonight. I love Chocolate Milk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, I see now it's the same recipe. Cool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is the same recipe. It has more of a cocoa flavor & not a corn syrup flavor. Tastes more "pure". We like it alot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much. I made the syrup and it is fabulous. I don't see us buying the "high fructose" kind anymore.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

and to think i just went out and bought a new bottle of syrup. argh! im glad it turned out good tho.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How much do you use in a glass of milk? Right now we use Nesquik but I want something with better ingredients. This is just what I was looking for! Right now I use 2 Tbsp per cup (8 oz) milk. How much do you use for syrup?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I"m sorry....can't give you a for sure amount. I just squirt it in until it's as dark as the kids like it.

2 second squirt? Might depend on the bottle you use, too.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're watching our calories but I LOVE chocolate so I make chocolate milk like this:

Put 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 1-2 packets sweet n' low (or whatever calorie free sweetener, sweetness according to taste) in a mug. Add a small amount of boiling water (like 2 tbsp) and stir until everything dissolves. Pour milk in and stir together.

I also make chocolate yogurt in the EXACT same way except instead of stirring in milk at the end, I stir in a container of fat-free plain Greek yogurt. It makes a great snack and it's only about 100 calories. My husband and I both love it.

And, if you just stir in plain boiling water instead of milk/yogurt, you get hot chocolate.

I add a drop or two of any of the following: almond extract, peppermint extract, hazelnut extract, orange extract, blackberry extract, or vanilla extract to get a little more interesting flavor. Also sometimes if I have a little coffee left over in the coffee pot I add that for a mocha flavor.

Just in case someone else out there is like me and needs to watch those calories, these might be helpful ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We drink chocolate flavored Ovaltine and it has lots of vitamins not just calories. Its good too !!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eat a lot of labneh (what Greek yogurt is called in the Middle East) so I'll have to try that sometime. I make my own yogurt and it's pretty thick so it might work with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by greekislandgirl View Post
    We're watching our calories but I LOVE chocolate so I make chocolate milk like this:

Put 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 1-2 packets sweet n' low (or whatever calorie free sweetener, sweetness according to taste) in a mug. Add a small amount of boiling water (like 2 tbsp) and stir until everything dissolves. Pour milk in and stir together.

I also make chocolate yogurt in the EXACT same way except instead of stirring in milk at the end, I stir in a container of fat-free plain Greek yogurt. It makes a great snack and it's only about 100 calories. My husband and I both love it.

And, if you just stir in plain boiling water instead of milk/yogurt, you get hot chocolate.

I add a drop or two of any of the following: almond extract, peppermint extract, hazelnut extract, orange extract, blackberry extract, or vanilla extract to get a little more interesting flavor. Also sometimes if I have a little coffee left over in the coffee pot I add that for a mocha flavor.

Just in case someone else out there is like me and needs to watch those calories, these might be helpful ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast