recipe for easy chocolate covered cherries?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default recipe for easy chocolate covered cherries?

my boss gave me a gallon of marichino cherries last night, i saw a recipe at walmart that included powdered sugar, milk, and chocolate chips, and almond bark. but now i can not find the recipe. it needs to be easy as i don't own a candy thermomater

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is the recipe I use, it is for peppermint patties and cherries, but you could just do all cherries.

11-1/3 cups icing sugar(2bags I think)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1-1/2 cups butter(I use margarine)

Mix well and split dough in half.

Peppermint Patties
    Add peppermint extract to half the dough. Roll out and cut into small circles(I use a baby food jar lid). Place on baking sheets lined with wax paper and chill. Once chilled dip in melted chocolate.

Cherries
    Shape small amounts of dough around cherries. Put on trays with wax paper. Chill then dip in chocolate.

Store in a cool dry place.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 cup margarine, softened
    1 Tbs milk
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    2 eight oz jars maraschino cherries, well-drained
    2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    2 Tbs shortening

<DIR><DIR>
    In mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, milk and almond extract. Mix well.
    Knead into a large ball. Roll into 1-inch balls and flatten each into a 2-inch circle. Wrap around cherries and lightly roll in hands. Place on baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
    Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours
    or overnight. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl. Dip cherries in chocolate. Set on waxed paper to harden.
    Store in covered container in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Taste best at room temperature, but always good.

</DIR></DIR>

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks! dani do you use chocolate chips, or almond bark? and do you let yours sit for 2 weeks?

thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used the melting chocolates and chocolate chips, whichever is cheaper. I chill them in the freezer for about 15min before dipping them in chocolate.The longest I've kept them is 3 weeks but that's only because they all got eaten.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

can i ask what are melting chocolates?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They are pieces of chocolate that are round(about the size of a quarter) and flat. I've only found them in the bulk sections of superstores or in stores like Micheals(craft store) or Nutters(bulk and natural food store).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danni View Post
    They are pieces of chocolate that are round(about the size of a quarter) and flat. I've only found them in the bulk sections of superstores or in stores like Micheals(craft store) or Nutters(bulk and natural food store).
    You can also find them at AC Moore and party stores. HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is intriguing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

now I know what to do with the cherries I have soaking in 151 rum!

make chocolate covered cherries! well for Christjmas 2009 which is what... 364 days away?

Registered User old_lady_in_the_shoe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read somewhere about a lady that soaked her cherries in cherry flavored brandy for 24 hours then dipped them in chocolate...
    not that sounds like a treat!!! yum!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For a while in college I worked for a chocolatier. Dipped cherries are very easy. Drain your cherries. Blot them, you want them kind of dry or the chocolate will not stick.

Melt your chocolate. Any kind of solid chocolate is fine, Hershey bars, melting chips, baking chocolate, chips, whatever. Don't add anything to it. I would say to temper it, but that can be very hard for the home cook, and it probably doesn't matter as much to you as it does when you run a business.

Have a tray with parchment or waxed paper on it. Dip your cherries. Ideally you have stems to hold them by. If not you can use toothpicks or small forks. Let a lot of the chocolate drain off, you do not want a big ugly pool under your cherries. Place them on the paper to firm up. If you want a thicker coating, dip them a 2nd time after they cool.

Let the chocolate cool at room temp. I do not suggest putting them in the fridge to cool because moisture can condense on them. After they completely harden they can be left at room temp or stored in the fridge, if they last that long.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Registered User cocoasensations's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    For a while in college I worked for a chocolatier. Dipped cherries are very easy. Drain your cherries. Blot them, you want them kind of dry or the chocolate will not stick.

Melt your chocolate. Any kind of solid chocolate is fine, Hershey bars, melting chips, baking chocolate, chips, whatever. Don't add anything to it. I would say to temper it, but that can be very hard for the home cook, and it probably doesn't matter as much to you as it does when you run a business.

Have a tray with parchment or waxed paper on it. Dip your cherries. Ideally you have stems to hold them by. If not you can use toothpicks or small forks. Let a lot of the chocolate drain off, you do not want a big ugly pool under your cherries. Place them on the paper to firm up. If you want a thicker coating, dip them a 2nd time after they cool.

Let the chocolate cool at room temp. I do not suggest putting them in the fridge to cool because moisture can condense on them. After they completely harden they can be left at room temp or stored in the fridge, if they last that long.
    Thanks for sharing this Contrary Housewife!...I would try this at home if I have time and I will tell you the result if ever!...Very much thank you...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad this got pulled from the archives and bumped up because I have always wanted to do this!! Mahalo plenty!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just the cherries (with stems, if possible) and chocolate is all you need. You can add a splash of a liqueur like Grand Marnier or something like that if you want. You can also add paraffin or beeswax to make the chocolate more "shiny" if you like...but it is really not necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast