Christmas traditions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Christmas traditions

Anyone care to share some of their Christmas traditions! What do you do on Christmas eve? When do you open presents? What do you do before Christmas to get everyone excited! Do you do Santa?

As you can tell I am very excited!! Lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now to answer my own questions!

Christmas eve is my favorite! All my family on my moms side we all get together have a pot luck type meal, hang out, all the kids play. The children exchange their gifts, we use to buy for all the kids but we started a few years ago doing a draw so each of them have one to open. Then the adult all sit in a big circle and do our exchange! Everyone buys one gift about 15-20$ worth and we draw numbers usually around 25 of us. Number one picks a present from the pile and opens it then number two gets to pick a present or steal from number one! We go through everyone till the last person gets to pick from everyone's present or open the last one! Its a lot of fun! Then we come home, dd opens one present which is always pjs, she sets out milk and cookies then off to bed! Then me and bf set up her presents from Santa and her stocking! She gets 3 presents from Santa and then her stocking of little stuff books, treats, movie, nail polish, tooth brush, hair things, body wash etc.
    -we open all the rest of our presents Christmas morning, my parents and brothers usually come Over and watch dd open her presents!
    -in the weeks before Christmas we will go to the Santa parade, put the tree up, decorate, make a ginger bread house, bake/decorate sugar cookies, lots of crafts, this year I'm
    Starting something new I read online. I want to do the Christmas elf, and I'm going to do 12 Christmas books. I will wrap 12 books and we will open one a night before bed until Christmas eve, I plan to rewrap the books every year leaving the night before Christmas for Christmas eve!
    - I am always looking for new ideas to try! Can't wait to hear what everyone else does!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley01 View Post
    Anyone care to share some of their Christmas traditions! What do you do on Christmas eve? When do you open presents? What do you do before Christmas to get everyone excited! Do you do Santa?

As you can tell I am very excited!! Lol
    Hhmm...where to start...leading up to Christmas, we watch Christmas movies and sometimes read Christmas stories. We ride around checking out the lights. An absolute requirement is "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"...I love that movie! LOL! Dh decorates the house inside and outside. He does an amazing job! We all work on the tree which usually takes several days to finish.

On Christmas Eve we have dinner at my parents' house. Later we read the story of Jesus' birth from the Bible...each person reads a part and we all light a candle. We also light one for my Grandma who is no longer with us 'cause she took part in our tradition the Christmas before she died. Dh tracks Santa on Norad and the two youngest put out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. We play Dirty Santa that evening also. I've found that it helps because they're so anxious about gifts on Christmas Day and this allows them to open some things early. We open our regular gifts on Christmas Day and once again have dinner at my parents' house.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh you reminded me! We also do the lights and Christmas movies! Dds just at the age she's really enjoying movies so I'm very excited for the grinch this year! Oh and I usually wrap all my presents the same night while I watch the movie elf! Love that movie!!

That's a great Christmas eve tradition! What is dirty santa?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anyone who knows me or has ever read any of my holiday/vacation related posts, chances are they know how we do Christmas.

DH, DD, DS and I go to Disney World from around December 16th or 17th until December 26th or 27th. When we arrive at our resort, we decorate our room with a tree, stockings, gifts, etc...We put lights in our window, a festive rug outside the door, a vinyl sign wishing passersby a Merry Christmas in the window, some type of Christmas decor on the door, etc...Fast forward to Christmas Eve, we spend the day and night at the various parks, going back to the room once the parks close. Christmas morning we get up, open our gifts, call our family at home and head to EPCOT for a special breakfast with the Disney princesses at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall. As a part of the breakfast, we take a family picture with Belle before eating. After breakfast we typically hit the different parks until mid-day. That is when we go back to the room, get a nap and then head back to the parks around 4:00, staying until the parks close down, around midnight. There are lots of other traditions we have while at Disney. Like we always see Beauty and The Beast, we always do the Carousel of Progress as a family, eat at Chef Mickey's, eat at Mama Melrose and then go see Fantasmic, etc...We just don't necessarily do these things on Christmas or Christmas Eve.

When we get home we have another Christmas. We typically arrive home between 10:00 - midnight. Everyone goes to bed and we wake early the next morning to open the gifts from friends and family. After we make our "Thank you" calls, and write "Thank you" notes, we all just veg out and relax.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Neeley that sounds so fun! How many years has your family been doing this? Do you still decorate at home before you leave, or save it all for Disney?

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have worked really hard to establish and maintain Christmas traditions within our own little family unit.

I buy the kids a Hallmark ornament each year. Just a small something that represents them or their likes/dislikes of that year. Dubs has had a Baby's First Christmas, Little Einsteins, Wolverine, Batman, etc. Moo has had a Baby's First and a handprint ornament that she did not cooperate on.When the kids move out and have trees of their own, they'll have a tree full of ornament personalized just for them.

Santa leaves new jammies on Christmas Eve for the kids.

We do snackies and appetizers on Christmas Eve and the kids get to open their new jammies as well as their presents from Z & I and from each other.

Christmas morning is just for us. I refuse to allow anyone over until the kids are done with their Santa presents. I make cinnamon rolls and a breakfast casserole. We eat, kids open presents and play. I make a huge feast for us on Christmas Day, as well as for our neighbor and anyone else that needs a place to go.

I stay up late on Christmas Eve and wrap all the kids' Santa presents. They each get a themed wrapping paper for all their Santa gifts.

And late Christmas Eve, Z and I exchange our gifts to one another. We like doing it privately and have done this ever since our first Christmas together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley01 View Post
    Neeley that sounds so fun! How many years has your family been doing this? Do you still decorate at home before you leave, or save it all for Disney?
    We've been doing it since the kids were 6 and 8, December 2001.

Yes, we still decorate the house. One year I decided not to and the kids were not happy with me. After that, I will always decorate the house. I even put all of the Christmas cards we get from the Christmas card swap here at FV on the tree like decorations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to make a list lol ornaments for dd is something else I've done every Christmas.

Wrapping Santa presents we've never had ours wrapped! Always open with our stockings!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our holidays start off the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We host a family-and-friends get-together (called Thanks-mas) with a big rib roast beef, yorkshire pudding, creamed onions, mashed garlic potatoes, mince pie, plum pudding and hard sauce, pumpkin and yam pies, and whatever others bring. We usually have around 25 folks, although there have been additions to the family this year, so may be more! We watch the Grinch (original 30-minute show with Boris Karloff narrating), and usually a football game is on at some time. After dinner we open gifts. After gifts, we each pick one envelope from my best handmade basket. The envelopes contain gift cards for Walmart and other stores in various denominations, $5 to $50. And there's a scratch-off lottery ticket tied on to each envelope. Everyone gets an envelope, even the little ones. It's fun to see who gets the $50 card, and if anyone wins something on the lottery tickets.
    We've done this for about 12 years now, and everyone looks forward to the day. Those who work on weekends will start asking me around September when the day is so they can be sure to have the day off!
    Most of the work has been done ahead of time, so DH and I enjoy the day, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

christmas traditions have been changing in my extended family as people have been aging and growing up and moving further and further away.

the last couple of years we've had a christmas eve get together which is supposed to be casual, appetizers, and come and go...but my family hasn't quite mastered that yet. lol. sometimes we open gifts christmas eve...sometimes not. i go to church on christmas eve and so does some of my family.

christmas day morning everyone spends with their own families and then christmas day supper is at my aunt and uncles for the big turkey meal. i go to church christmas day as well. it's a nice way to remember the reason for the season amidst all the hype and presents.

last year we went to my mom's apartment for lunch and presents. i don't know if we'll do that again this year. everything gets complicated because we can't bring the dog to the apartment and he ends up spending too much time alone during the holidays.

i've been working on us watching all the star wars movies at christmas time. ds is probably just old enough now that this year it will actually work.

that's about it for traditions. we don't have that many i guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Growing up, we didn't have any traditions. Now that we're all grown up, still no traditions. Just opening the gifts on Christmas Day and a turkey dinner and not necessarily on the day of anymore.

I wonder if DH & I will start a tradition...this will be our first year together under the same roof!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

our Christmas traditions start with Advent we do special Advent things.

We decorate on the day after thanksgiving but decorate the tree on Christmas Eve day.

We make presents, write letters, make treats all fun stuff

My mom comes down on Christmas Eve day ( she spends the night it is the only time she spends the night not just the day when she visits) Little Miss gives up her bed for Grandma and sleeps on our floor in the master bedroom. Not wanting to miss the slumber party Buddy comes to sleep on the floor.

We all dress up for Christmas Eve service normal in the early evening after service we watch Christmas movies.

The children each write a letter to Santa generally thanking him for making the trip and the present. The letter tends to be full of questions too. They leave these out with cookies and milk for Santa.

Santa visits while they are a sleep. He answers the letters and generally praises them for something and remarks on how the have grown up so much since his last visit. You know fatherly advice and praise

Santa leave his gifts unwrapped and waiting at the bottom of the stairs for the children so they can see and play with them when they first wake up. He also leaves three things in the stocking, a toothbrush, a candy bar, and a small trinket surprise.

We all gather around the tree and open presents. (My mom, the children, Hubby, and I)

Then we have breakfast and play with our new things generally there is at least on board game in the mix so there is plenty of family time. There tend to be phone calls from the other side of the family and wonderful phone visits.

Generally around supper or right after my mom leaves to head home. It is a very nice relaxing day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My favorite holiday.. I decorate like crazy. Kids always said "It looks like elves on speed went buzzerk in the house"

When the kids were young, we did the parades, the santa visit, etc.. One Christmas I did the crackers (made my own) thing like in England. Kids loved that so did it the next year. One year I did something from each nationality we are. Not all food cos' one is Norwegian and all I could say was ick when I saw the food

We moved away from my family when the kids were young and I didn't care to have his family around, so we made our own Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I decorate the day after thanksgiving. We have an advent wreath and light a candle each week and read a bible passage. I attend midnight mass on christmas eve. We always have pumpkin pie for breakfast christmas day and turkey for dinner. I love christmas movies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast