Christmas gifts you can't use?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Christmas gifts you can't use?

What do you do with them?

An acquaintance/student I helped teach English gave me a bottle of ice cider...about a $25 value. I cannot drink any of it, according to the pharmacist, because it messes with the absorption of my prescription medicine. Causes it to absorb into my system faster, possibly triggering an overdose. Now, what do I do with this bottle of ice cider???

I'm thinking of re-gifting it, but I do not normally give away $25 worth of alcohol to people. In fact, alcohol as a gift is kind of on my taboo list.

I thought about serving it up at an upcoming potluck I'm hosting, but the lady who gave it to me might be there. Plus there's not enough for everyone.

Maybe I should just give it someone who does enjoy cider ... Though most of my friends do not drink...at least that I know of... Hmm...there is one, but she too was given a bottle of this ice cider by the same lady.

Argh! What to do?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would time my medication and drink it. But I like to live dangerously. I know I can have a drink and skip my evening meds and be ok.

Here's a page that explains how long alcohol stays in your body. Depending on how long you go between doses, the strength of the alcohol, and how much you drink, it's very possible you can enjoy that gift and not kill your liver.

How long does alcohol stay in your blood? - Health questions - NHS Choices
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No,I would never drink it. I dont like to push the envelope w/ meds. Who would it make the most happy w/o issues. Maybe you could play a party game w/ it for a prize. (as long as that person wont be there).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for input. Drinking it is not an option. I cannot skip my meds...period. I'm not worried about liver damage. I'm worried about brain damage.

I decided to phone a friend I know who has friends who drink alcohol. I am gifting it to her so she can gift it forward. She is the lady who already has a bottle of this stuff from the same lady I got mine from. I know times are tight for her right now, so gifting it to her will help her with her Christmas "shopping".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Or you could consider the domestic equivalent of what such alcohol would do to your insides - doing the same thing to your drains, and pour it down, a little at a time - to clear the blockages!!!!!! No waste, very practical and you could then tell the person who gave you it that it had "gone down very well".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Excellent solution. I usually re-gift anything I cannot use. My neighbor gave us a box of chocolate truffles. I am using them for the work Christmas party on Friday. Another neighbor gave us a pasta gift basket. It has homemade pasta sauce, pesto sauce and noodles but we don't eat pasta. I'm trying to figure out to whom that should be given.

I also received an all-weather Columbia brand jacket from my company from which I just resigned (very odd that they sent me a gift). Something I definitely would not use. It's a nice jacket and all and surprisingly does NOT have a company logo or anything on it, but it's not really my style and doesn't fit my husband. I might donate that one or ask my daughter's boyfriends if they would like it.

I think re-gifting is much better than just collecting dust at home. I know it is taboo for some, but I'd rather the gift not go to waste and I do appreciate anyone thinking about me enough to buy me a gift.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Toffeekit! That thought hadn't crossed my mind! It might make a good drain cleaner at 10.5% alcohol, but the sugar in it...oh my!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think its ok to regift anything you won't use, but clue the new recipient in if they are acquainted with the original giver. That way its unlikely there will be any awkward moments such as the new recipient mentioning it to the original giver or it being seen at a social gathering, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a good idea in this case. She knows where it came from and will probably gift it to family rather than someone else at church.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually offer what I don't use to friends or donate. I tell people not to give me gifts and it's working.

Someone gave me a scented candle. I have very strong feelings about the toxins in this particular brand so I threw it out.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of scented candles either...mainly because I'm allergic to most of them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When people give me things I don't want I do the following in order, working my way down the list until something works:

return
    regift/give away
    donate
    recycle/compost/trash

I have no problem not receiving gifts, and I have no problem getting rid of gifts I don't want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I bought a bunch of kids toys at Dollar general. They had some nice BOGO ninja turtle,princess, and some Frozen puzzles. We always go to the sportsman club party where they collect Toys for Tots. Well,Dh was sick and we missed it. I am weird about just dumping it at a store somewhere. So it was in my car.
    I went to the Dollar Tree yesterday and there was the cutest little 3 yr. old there dressed in all frozen stuff. Really personable and smart. I asked her mom and she took it all. I got a kick out of that donation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's the unexpected donations that make Christmas for me. Seems every year someone comes along who is in real need.

This year we have a young South Korean mom and DD on their own for Christmas. Her DH is working 9 hours away for the next 2 weeks. They say they are bored, but I think they are really sad and missing her DH. They were here this afternoon to pick up something left behind after the potluck. The mother was a bit embarrassed and did not know enough English but managed to ask me if I would mind if she and her DD came and played Rummikub with me tonight. Well, I was going shopping so told her not till after 7:30, when I got home. In the end she sent me an email bailing and saying she thought it was too late to be out and that Hubby and I needed a rest too. Hmm...

I talked to DH about the situation. We decided to invite them for our Christmas Eve dinner, church service, and riding around town looking at lights...a tradition for us.

I took it upon myself to invite them over tomorrow to bake and decorate a gingerbread house. When the mother told the DD, the DD jumped up and yelled "Yahoo!" Who would have thought $15 worth of groceries and an afternoon of fun would excite an 11 year old so much? I am going to have a blast tomorrow with this.