Frugal Things To Do For Christmas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal Things To Do For Christmas

I wrote this a few years ago on another forum in response to a single mom bemoaning the fact that she couldn’t give her child a “dream” Christmas during the upcoming holiday season. This was my response to her.

The greatest joys of Christmas don't come under the Christmas tree. That is only one very tiny part of the joyous season and it certainly shouldn't be the most important. This is a wonderful opportunity to show your children how blessed your family is - with love!!! Create precious memories, not useless garbage that will be thrown out and forgotten in months.

Here's 25 ideas to get you started! How about if you do these traditional fun things this Christmas:

1. Check out from the library a DVD of Christmas songs to sing with your kids. You can even make your own instruments with two paper plates stapled together with some dry beans or popcorn kernels in the middle. Have the kids decorate the plates to look Christmas'y before you staple them.

2. Watch the tv listings for traditional Christmas shows to enjoy together as a family: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Reindeer, etc. I have a couple of blogs I watch at that time of year that list EVERY tv show/movie related to Christmas with channels and times so it's easy to see what is where/when.

3. Check out from the library or rent a few Christmas movies (don't forget classics like It's a Wonderful Life!) and pop some popcorn.

4. Read the Christmas story together from a children's Bible.

5. Build a snowman together. No snow? Build one with cardboard boxes or pillows and use construction paper to create eyes / nose / mouth.

6. Bake a batch of Christmas cookies and decorate them together. Then go together to deliver them to the neighbors and sing them Christmas carols.

7. Find some large pine cones and decorate them with silver spray paint and glue or decorate with peanut butter and bird seed and put them outside for the birds.

8. Make a Christmas tree by putting one together with green construction paper taped to your wall. Have your kids make construction paper link chains and construction paper ornaments. Tin foil wrapped on cardboard can also make cute ornaments. Heck, use tuna fish can lids or popsicle sticks to create ornaments.

9. Attend a church service together, especially one with a children's nativity play.

10. See what free shows are being offered in your area - malls, schools, park districts, libraries, senior centers, village halls, etc. often offer free entertainment during the holiday season.

11. Have your kids hand draw Christmas cards to share with family and friends.

12. Make some Christmas themed family game nights - pictionary with all Christmas words, bingo with Christmas pictures, make matching games with computer clip art and make it all holiday themed.

13. Make homemade fudge (it's actually pretty cheap to make) and popcorn balls.

14. Build a big bonfire and sit outside after dark to enjoy it.

15. Teach your kids how to cut out paper snowflakes.

16. On Christmas eve, leave out carrots and lettuce for the reindeer and cookies and milk for Santa. Sneak around outside the kids windows and shake some bells so the kids think they hear reindeer.

17. Make some hot cocoa the old fashioned way with cocoa, sugar, and milk. Top it off with marshmallows and/or whipped cream.

18. Make some spiced apple cider or eggnog.

19. Make pancakes shaped like little gingerbread men.

20. Use a paper plate, construction paper and cotton balls to make Santa faces for crafts.

21. Have the kids decorate construction paper placemats to decorate your holiday table.

22. Print out iron on transfers from the internet and put them on inexpensive tshirts and have the kids paint them.

23. Drive around your neighborhoods to see all the Christmas lights after dark.

24. Have your kids put on a sock puppet Christmas show (decorate the socks with cut out felt and yarn).

25. Write your kids letters from Santa and have them mailed from the North Pole. Here's the website for 2015 with the image you can print on your envelope. 2015 North Pole Postmark / North Pole Cancellation

Check the internet for lots more ideas. Here's a few sites to get you started, but there's tons more:
    Christmas Activities for Kids
    Domestic-Church.Com: Fridge Art (strongly religious themed site)

You can look at your circumstance as a horrible thing to be faced or you can consider it an opportunity to shine and show your children what the true meaning of the holiday is all about. Your attitude will determine how your children remember these times.
    Last edited by MsMarieH; 06-17-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love these ideas! Definitely going to try a few out. Making my own gifts this year, too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We did 19/20 I think. Sock puppets just get me. We always walked down to the small town Christmas tree lighting,made wall hangings of canning jar lids w/ bands and cut out last years cards. You thread felt thru the band.

you can make a tree on the wall w/ construction paper if you cant have a real one

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The years I didn't have a tree I draped holiday lights in a triangle shape and made a virtual tree. I didn't have to water it or vacuum up pine needles, either.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH-cat jungle gyms!lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great list!

I remember doing some of those things over the years, nice memories!

These days I put out a small 1970's ceramic tree with lights and treat myself to the biggest poinsettia that I can find.

I also like to start a giant amaryllis bulb and watch it grow during the weeks after Christmas.

I remember my mother and grandmother always used up the scraps of yarn to make mittens for the "mitten tree" at church or doll clothes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Every Thanksgiving since I was a kid my mother has each woman bring a craft to teach and the supplies for the other women & kids to do. After dinner we clear the tables and do crafts then we have dessert. It's a great time with the little ones and the guys sometimes join in too otherwise they hang in the living room watching football.