Christmas 2019 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas 2019

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

@msmarie, that sounds beautiful. I have a tree from when I was single (not all that long ago) but we have never had room for it in this house. It's a slim model, but still as big as an armchair and we only have room for one of those in the living room. So instead we decorate the kitchen table: fancy table cloth and place mats, small tree at one end with lights and small gifts underneath. We only buy for each other, and even then we are well beyond the point of "needing" anything. We don't get out much in Dec unless friends come to visit. Family never does. DH doesn't like driving around in holiday traffic or mingling in crowds.

In exchange for getting extra days off this summer for our trips DH is covering his entire dept at Christmas and New Year's. He likes it, it's a quiet time for the business. He gets ~2 weeks of nobody bothering him, and usually doesn't even have work to do.

I used to do a lot of baking, but have really backed off the last several years. Neither of us need to be eating cookies. I still have cranberry muffins and some kind of cookie from last year in the freezer.

This year my silver sneakers group is having a holiday party with a "re-gift" exchange. We will have a potluck, too. Possibly the quilt guild will do something similar, haven't heard yet. We had a nice New Year's party with friends last year, would like to repeat that. Food, movies, responsible drinking. That's about it for my social schedule.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

marie l like that too. more about activities and getting together with the people you love. there are lots of great lights and free events around to take in here. we did for the first time for years last year our xmas eve open house. people like that. first xmas without mil so less drama cus of sil ..but sad because no mil. I just keep collecting things for bday and xmas. because starting today bdays until jan. mil was feb and fil jan but now gone so shorter season. we also have lots of other bdays too.

we will see too because sometimes lovely surprises come up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we were younger, we lived near family and used to visit each other every holiday. One aunt would have a party and all the relatives would go there for fun. Since getting married and having kids, we moved because we needed jobs. Our moves have taken us further away from family and we don't see anyone very much anymore. Holidays are tough to get away from work since it's a busy time in retail. Most years, I wasn't allowed time off. So, we relax and cook for the holidays. We have taken a tour to see holiday lights and I decorate a bit. We call relatives and chat. One day I hope to travel someplace to see how Christmas is done in that town (or Disney).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a $25 Google play GC from swagbucks for DS1.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH mentioned he needed some t-shirts for the gym.

I noticed that DH and DS2 have been sharing socks, even though they wear different sizes....I went online to Champion/Hanes and found sale items, free shipping (any order) and $10 off. I ended up getting DH 3 t-shirts and 12 pr. socks. I got DS2 7 pr. socks.

I got DS2 a lego Harry Potter set at Barnes & Noble for his stocking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When the kids were little, I'd take photos of them and make calendars. After high school, trying to get a photo is difficult. I was only able to get a handful. So, instead of a calendar, I made magnets at Shutterfly with a 40% discount. I hope the grandparents/aunt like them.

I got some more coins from ebay for coin books. I got a Lego online game for DS1. I have no idea what it is, really, but it looked quite popular on ebay and ebay sellers ran out. So, I got it from Amazon.

I asked my sis if she wants to exchange gifts for the kids only and set a dollar limit. She agreed. She's not one to adhere to dollar limits, however. And that makes me upset since she overspends. This year may be different due to job issues and as adults, we don't really need anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got another Swagbucks GC and got DS1 a Sonic figure (he collects sonic items) that is like a Mr Potatohead where his features can be changed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bought dd couple of figurines dragon wrapped around d n d dice handmade and cat thing from craft fair. have a stash of things in the gift box for xmas and bdays. bought a harry potter grab bag so necklaces, etc assorted things. geeky other things. dh got a pillow for a friend. no idea what to get dh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I joined another forum dedicated to all things Christmas. It's been so uplifting. The members do a Christmas card exchange each year and I signed up for it. So far, there are about 30 signed up but the cutoff isn't until mid-November. I bought some postage stamps and a bunch of Christmas Cards off e-bay.

The other thing I'm doing and did last year was to organize a condo cookie exchange. We all bake our favorite recipes, then have a "party" to exchange cookies. We hold back half of them and give them to our local first responders. Last year we had enough to give our 4-man maintenance crew a dozen each. I think they ate them that day
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sounds like fun. realized hadn't looked at book outlet since last year so got a bunch of books for xmas. good deals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ive finished shopping. I went frugal for some, except my BF; even so I got him a coat on sale. I bought less than last year, spent less than last year used cash for everything. I still probably spent too much around 30 per adult , except Jack I spent too much!! I feel like I need to get my kids more but that may just be guilt... they don't live with me and I spent so much last year... Jack and I do one gift a year pretty much, we don't do birthday gifts valentines etc but have been far from frugal...time to start

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was able to get DS2 a Digimon action figure using Swagbux on ebay. Spent about $15.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did more shopping again...DS1 got: mechanical back massager pad, XL socks, crew hair gel, $30 Amazon card
    DS2 got: crew hair gel, a newer transforming Digimon figure

Items came from ebay, Amazon, Target and my CC rewards points. I spent a total of $37 for the above.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

11/3 For several years i bought gifts for whole family and who ever they brought with them i made sure they would have a gift by having things stored away.Then the immediate family that attended every year started drawing names then they decided not to do that and i told them not to buy for me for i could not buy for all any more some still did.One reason i Quit buying for everyone some of the inlaws and outlaws grandchildren spouses
    plus they never bought for one parent Wasn't the thing they wanted plus they was the one that never bought me anything but that was ok wanted them to spend on their on family.decided if i can going buy for my children and one grown grandchild and spouse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12