Average American Spending on Christmas 2019....Is your spending going to be average?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Average American Spending on Christmas 2019....Is your spending going to be average?

I read several interesting articles today about Christmas shopping in the US. Here are the statistics from one of the articles:

Average spending - $1,536 (total with gifts/decorations/food/clothing for the day)

Average spending on gifts- $525 (of this, $139 is for gift cards)

Average spending on spouse- $123

How does your spending compare? Will your spending be close to the average or far away?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I calculated my expenditures and figured out that I'm close.....Which was surprising to me.

Despite my best efforts so far, I'm at $296 for gifts. Sure, I got lots of free stuff and greatly discounted items. So, where did the bulk of it go? I spent $150 on coins for everyone since there seems to be interest this year. That's half of my spending.

I spent $91 on DH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would probably be close on the spouse. He loves "things". Otherwise I don't really buy gifts for my side of the family. Hubby takes care of his side. I buy small items (hand lotion or lip balm) for some women at work, and make biscotti for general gifts.
    I decided last year since I "inherited" so much pretty silver plate that my decor is really greenery, silver, candles, etc. Don't need to buy anything. Don't need any clothing either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We only buy token gifts for my mom. She's 91, lives in a small townhouse, and doesn't need any more stuff. If we know of something she wants, we usually get it, but she's trying to get rid of excess stuff so no point buying unwanted stuff. It's just the 3 of us and we all have dietary restrictions, so no big, elaborate meals. The main point is to be together.

We buy what we want throughout the yr, so Husby and I don't usually exchange gifts. We'd rather save the money for trips. I bought a serger recently for $360, and also a beautiful desk to put it on for $35, and may buy 1 or 2 extra feet for it. That's more than enough of a Christmas for me.

We will probably buy a frozen key lime pie and some crescent rolls for Christmas dinner. We don't usually buy that stuff. Our extra spending on the holiday meal will probably be less than $10. I'm not going to count the entire meal because we eat every day otherwise, which costs something too.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How many people does "average" cover?

I think our spending will be way below those numbers. We don't entertain, swap gifts with family or friends, buy special clothing, or travel. I have enough decorations and gift wrap to last my lifetime.

DH and I exchange a few small gifts. I buy a package of cinnamon rolls for breakfast and some Honey Ham for dinner. Otherwise it is normal cheap food, potatoes, cranberry sauce, green vegetable, I might make a pie from scratch.

I guess I make up for the people who go way overboard into debt every year.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes doesn't say how many people. probably spending more on xmas but not that much more. and more practical things too clothes books etc. or kids gift cards which just replaces money we would have given them. more food depends if kids want to make special treats and if we are throwing a party. doing a lot of online shopping. first xmas without mil so want to make it a bit more special.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, the article didn't say how many people are receiving gifts, but my guess is that since it's an average, it could be for many people or not so many. And the average $ amount will be higher for some and lower for others to calculate the average. It would be interesting if they broke down the amount "per person," like they did with the spouse amount.