Too early? Need ideas for advent calendar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Too early? Need ideas for advent calendar

For the past two years, I have been giving my sister and my mother an advent calendar on Thanksgiving, which they return to me at Christmas. It is a good-sized cabinet, with approx 3.5" x 3.5" drawers, one for each day of December.

I am trying to be creative and not stick the same old stuff in this year (i.e, lip balm, soap, and the like), and I try to fill about 4-5 drawers with candies, and another 2-3 drawers with gift cards or money. But that leaves me with about 18 drawers (x2 cabinets) to fill. Last year, I found some really cool things during my work traveling (which I was doing about three weeks a month). But having been in lock down since March and suspecting that I won't be leaving town much between now and December, I am wracking my brain for unique and fun stuff to put in.

Any ideas appreciated!! My sister is in her 60's, but has a son who is in his 30's, and my mother is going to be 90 this year.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

BedBath has those cute little bottles of hand sanitizer. It's the gift of the year.

How about single serving sizes of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or liquor shots?

You could include a couple well-wrapped home made cookies.

If they garden you could make seed ball for spring.

Do they have pets? Is a cat or dog toy going to be appreciated?

Holiday themed costume jewelry.

votive candles

Candy you already thought of, maybe something special like old fashioned kinds, or home made. Or if they are diabetic, sugar-free candies.

useful items: coin purse, wipes for glasses, batteries, car air freshener, key chain, manicure set, hair ties/clips
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

holiday stamps? festive socks?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great ideas! CH, I got credit last year for putting single-serve Wet Ones and personal-sized hand sanitizers in the drawers. Little did I know how useful they would become! I will definitely be doing the same again, but it won't feel nearly as whimsical as it did last year!! My sister has a huge GSD and some parrots, so I will have to think of something small I can fit in a drawer. Maybe some homemade pet treats. Marthamfi, great idea about the stamps! My mother still sends everything "snail mail," so she will appreciate having some! Maybe I can use one of those services that makes stamps out of your photos and put something personal in there! I did socks last year, so great minds....
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I got polite but obviously uninterested 'thank you's in the past when I've given hand sanitizer. I don't go anywhere without the stuff.

another one: bag clips

For younger (under 30 folks): ear buds, USB charging cord, thumb drive, fitness tracker bracelet

spotted all these at the drug store.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, CH. I come from a family of couch potatoes, so I don't think a fitness tracker would go over well. My nephew is an electronics junkie and also a fan of Comic-con, but I have struck out when I have tried to find related gifts. Bag clips would be fun, especially if I found some cute ones.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, for comic geek fun stuff check JA or HL or Michaels, they have these miniature plastic figures in random bags or boxes near the registers. They have all kids for different movies and comic characters.

examples: https://www.amazon.com/Funko-Marvel-.../dp/B07DCCNHT4

Sometimes book stores have them too, also look for key chains and buttons.

They also do tons of Lego stuff in blind bags, super heroes, movie characters, Star Wars, computer games, Disney, etc. Try Target and Walmart.

If you have GameStop or Vintage Stock in your area, try them. They'll have lots of gifts or you could get a gift card.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are some ideas:

1)subscription to: a magazine, coffee club, food service like Hello Fresh or Gobble (for free magazine subscriptions, go to "RewardBee" and do a quick survey and you can get a subscription to choose from and send it to whomever you want. I use them all the time!)

2)wool mittens or hat

3) A small GPS tracker for keys, a purse or the dog! ( I got one for less than $9 on Amazon called "Key finder Smart Tracker")

4) A squishy stress ball

5) If someone uses yarn or does crafts, maybe thread or floss or glitter glue

6) old coins or junk silver coins

7) make-up or earrings

8) pack of writing cards and envelopes? People make them on etsy or ebay.

9) House Cleaning service (molly maid?)

10) Lottery tickets with a cool plastic scratcher (some places give out the scratchers for free)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Squishy stress balls are probably in short supply right now!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about an IOU for a lunch out, in a safe location.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    For the past two years, I have been giving my sister and my mother an advent calendar on Thanksgiving, which they return to me at Christmas. It is a good-sized cabinet, with approx 3.5" x 3.5" drawers, one for each day of December.

I am trying to be creative and not stick the same old stuff in this year (i.e, lip balm, soap, and the like), and I try to fill about 4-5 drawers with candies, and another 2-3 drawers with gift cards or money. But that leaves me with about 18 drawers (x2 cabinets) to fill. Last year, I found some really cool things during my work traveling (which I was doing about three weeks a month). But having been in lock down since March and suspecting that I won't be leaving town much between now and December, I am wracking my brain for unique and fun stuff to put in.

Any ideas appreciated!! My sister is in her 60's, but has a son who is in his 30's, and my mother is going to be 90 this year.
    I got one, one year that had different kinds of tea bags behind each door. It was wonderful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you want dozens of ideas from people who celebrate Christmas all year long, join this site (My Merry Christmas.) People from all around the world visit and it's very active every day. If you want a free premium membership with all the benefits use this link.

https://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/?referrer=14751
    Kim
    The Lord will provide