Help! Pop-ups or Spyware problem....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Help! Pop-ups or Spyware problem....

~Last night three "ads" popped up despite having our blocker on. We have FireFox and Avast security. Avast detected viruses so it shut down the computer, restarted and scanned. I removed several viruses "To Chest" whatever that means. That was the recommended action. Everything then seemed fine. But just now those same ads just popped up again. The ads are full page. One tries to open up as a Word document but I don't have the version of Word for it to open. One pops up in an Explorer box even though I'm browsing with FF. Ack! What should I do?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok do you know how to boot your computer in safe mode?

Shut down completely, then restart it. Then as the computer is powering up, tap the F8 key repeatedly (1 time per second is fine) until you get a new screen. One option on the screen will be to boot in Safe Mode with Networking. Do that.

Once you get back into Windows (it'll look wierd), go to this page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

Download and install Windows Defender, and let it clean up your system.

When you reboot again, a lot more of the junk should be gone.

This may only be a starting point, but its a very important product to install, and its free.

BTW print this before you start doing what I just told you to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah sadly even some blocker programs (or browsers with built-in blockers like Firefox) can't block many pop-ups. Windows Defender is pretty great for that type of stuff. You can also try having the modem hooked into a router that has a firewall built into it also. That works for us. We have a Linksys Wireless router that we set up port forwarding and such on and has a built-in firewall to it. It wasn't too expensive and can be used even with one computer. We have two computers so that's why we have one.

Good luck on getting rid of those pesky pop-ups!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use Firefox with Sandboxie (free software - google it). Sandboxie was developed by programmers who worked with computer viruses (intentionally infecting their computers inorder to create patches to fix them). The programmers wanted a way to infect their computers and yet re-fresh and have no problems with a simple click.

Sandboxie is like a cat litter box, once you get something unpleasant you just dump your internet memory box and you have a fresh computer to work with. Since installing this we no longer have an anti-virus (they use up processing power anyways).

Another little tip that helps alot of viruses and ad ware leave you alone is to set up a separate user account for internet use. Often viruses assume you are using the default admin account and write viruses to access your computer from that account. If you log in under a different account to use the internet and save the admin account for when you want to download a known/desired program (ex: adobe). Then you have to log-out of your user acct. and back in as admin to get the program on your computer, it is a bit of a pain, but it also means that other programs can't be automatically downloaded.

We have a ton of other free software helps - my hubby is an IT administrator, so if you are still having problems I can forward your questions to him. Good luck getting rid of the pop-ups.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Thanks for the responses everyone! Greebo, I did what you suggested but when I tried to open the downloaded Defender program a window popped up that said "The Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". I chose "Owner" instead of "Administrator" during safe mode start up. Do I need to restart and choose Administrator to open and run the program? There is definitely something sneaky on my puter. When I shut down I saw an 'end program' box for a hidden window: ShellCon something....urg.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, you need to log into your computer as the computer administrator. The "owner" user account has limited abilities in safe mode.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I'm logged in as the Administrator and it still says the same thing. Wahhhh! Where do I go to change my 'policies"?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greebo if I do this too will I loose all my remembered pass words and what not? I have something I need to clean up on my computer but I am one of those people who can't remember a pass word to save my life.
    Despite all the hours I spend on this machine I know absolutely nothing about it. I keep asking my hubby to clean this thing up for me but he has yet to do and lets just say it's time to be proactive about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    Greebo if I do this too will I loose all my remembered pass words and what not? I have something I need to clean up on my computer but I am one of those people who can't remember a pass word to save my life.
    Despite all the hours I spend on this machine I know absolutely nothing about it. I keep asking my hubby to clean this thing up for me but he has yet to do and lets just say it's time to be proactive about it.
    You shouldn't, but I can't make any absolute guarantees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In order for me to use this site, the last few days, I have had to use firefox. If I try to load it in windows, then I get an illegal and the window shuts down.
    I have been going into internet options, once a day now, and deleting temp cookies. That's where the sneaky ones have been going to. Not just into the regular cookie file either.
    I had to take this computer to the computer guy a few months ago. He asked me where I got all this spy ware on my machine. No clue, I told him. He dumped a lot of cookies that day. I could not even open my windows program. I don't just click on any old links...I check them out by hightlighting them first to see where they go.
    First time in 10 years, that I had to take my machine in for some help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    In order for me to use this site, the last few days, I have had to use firefox. If I try to load it in windows, then I get an illegal and the window shuts down.
    I have been going into internet options, once a day now, and deleting temp cookies. That's where the sneaky ones have been going to. Not just into the regular cookie file either.
    I had to take this computer to the computer guy a few months ago. He asked me where I got all this spy ware on my machine. No clue, I told him. He dumped a lot of cookies that day. I could not even open my windows program. I don't just click on any old links...I check them out by hightlighting them first to see where they go.
    First time in 10 years, that I had to take my machine in for some help.
    I can browse frugalvillage fine with Internet explorer and firefox.
    Possible spyware/malware or an application that is not behaving correctly on your computer. I would recommend NOT using internet explorer.
    Last edited by Gabe; 01-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can use internet explorer for other websites. Works fine.

I cannot use it for frugal village though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

To each his/her own.

It helps if you provide more information on your browser you are having issues with.
    (ex: version of explorer)
    Last edited by Gabe; 01-02-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just to state the obvious here.
    WARNING CLICKING THIS LINK WITH EXPLORER WILL RENDER YOUR COMPUTER SLOW and you might need to reboot.

http://www.crashie.com/

If you click that link it will exploit a problem with the browser that still is not fixed by Microsoft.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have win98 , version 6.0, on a ten yr old computer, compaq presario. I had dial up for 9 yrs plus. Finally got DSL through the phone company this year.
    Without DSL, I cannot load or function on this site.
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 01-02-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast