How to resize a picture & not lose quality and make it as an avatar?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How to resize a picture & not lose quality and make it as an avatar?

How to resize a picture?

Well this depends on what software you will be using to resize it. I will use Jasc Paint Shop Pro as an example.
    You can download a 60 day trial of Paint Shop Pro here:
    ftp://ftp.jasc.com/pub/psp801ev.exe

It is a big program it is 55MB.

Frugalvillage.com has a limit on the size of the avatar. The maximum size you can use for your avatar is 300 pixels by 300 pixels.

The image below is the limit for avatars (300 pixel by 300pixel):

Ok...let's open our picture with PSP. (PaintShop Pro)
    After starting PSP click on file then open.

This will bring you to this. Select your picture then click on the open button

After your picture is open. We will slect the selection tool on the left. Then we will select with wich portion of the picture we want to work with.

After you have selected part of your picture. Go to Image and chose crop selection. This will basically crop your image so we discard the left over of the picture we do not need. The reason I am doing this is because I want to be able to have the best quality of the portion of the picture I will work with. I could of resized the whole picture but then again the overall quality and resolution of the picture would not be as good. For example, Zachary would be smaller and we would have all that stuff in the backgound.

After we cropped the picture we will resize it. Go to image again on the top menu and then select resize.

This will bring you to the following screen. We will change the dropped down box to pixel. Percentage is not as effective when you need to resize a picture to a specific size.

Since the image that I am resizing is taller than large. I will put the 300 pixel on the height aspect of the picture. If you do not want to distort your picture make sure that the option at bottoms is checked (lock aspect ratio in this instance) Click on ok once you have determine the size you would like your picture.

Let's have an actual view of the picture as it should be. Go into zoom and zoom to 100%. This will let you view the picture at the actual size that it currently is at.

Lets save our work! Go into file save as.

Lets give a name to our picture. If you do not want to play with the quality of the compression you can save the picture with the default compression.

If you need to have a better quality of the picture (this also means that your picture will be bigger in terms of kilobytes) You can chose options and this will bring you to the current screen. Then you can adjust what you would like in terms of compression and optimization. Please note that with higher compression means more loss of quality but a smaller size of picture in terms of kilobytes. The less compression you use the bigger your file will be.

And that about covers it. If you have any questions please post below. If you would like me to do a tutorial with a different program please give me the program name below.

This is the actual size of the picture that is the end result of this exercise.

-Gabe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Adobe Photodelux 4 for my pictures, probably because it's quite idiot proof LOL.

But I read this anyway because I just bought PSP 7 and after installing it and going - I haven't looked at it since.

I am going to try this later because it looks fairly easy (HAHAHAHAHAHA - like uploading my page ) But I got a bit lost at the saving part and compression and stuff

I really appreciate this though because although I have a programme that I CAN use, I just want to learn PSP.

Oh and your post title - I thought YOU were asking US how to re-size a photo!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just two things? - Obviously I DID IT!!!

But when you are re-sizing my screen doesn't look the same? I was lucky that it said pixels already, and it was checked but I don't seem to have a drop down menu to make a choice?

And also I don't have zoom 100% - Mine says zoom in by one or zoom in by 10 (I think? I can't remember now LOL) and then zoom out by the same two numbers. One was definately one of them.

It doesn't matter because I still did this tutorial but I'm just saying incase it makes a difference later that my PSP looks different.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH GABE. I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO LEARN THIS FOR A LONG TIME. I USE ADOBE PHOTO DELUXE TOO. BUT, NOW THAT I KNOW HOW MANY PIXELS I CAN USE....I CAN DO THIS.
    AND NOW THAT I KNOW, I'M SURE I'LL CHANGE MY AVATAR MORE OFTEN....LOL.