antivirus software. I WAS using Norton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default antivirus software. I WAS using Norton

I got my computer back yesterday after my computer technician rebuilt it.  I had a virus attack that allowed windows to load but nothing else.  The last thing I did before it died completely was to use my PestPatrol to scan for viruses.  It picked up lots of infected ebay files.  So, the conclusion we came to was that I picked up the virus by browsing on ebay. The technician told me he has other compouters waiting to be fixed that show the same symptoms as mine and the owners were also using ebay.

A bit of history - I've had this computer for six months, so it's not an ancient machine.  I was "protected" with Norton Antivirus 2005.  It updated daily, I also updated all the critical Windows updates.  I use Mailwasher for extra email security.  I bought my first computer in 1988 and have had probably 20 computers over the years, so I'm not a novice.

This is my protection system now.  It's all free software (for home use).  AVAST + Microsoft Antispy + ADAware + Spybot 1.4 + XP firewall.  Here is the link to AVAST:

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

Microsoft Antispy is a Beta version but it's not buggy and it's safe to use, link:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

ADAware and spybot:   http://www.adwarekillers.com/

Mailwasher:  www.mailwasher.net/

I hope the above helps protect you from viruses. 

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought maybe you were looking for a program and was going to recommend Avast- I just heard a Consumer Reports minute on XM (radio) and they said Avast was one of the top 3, and it is free. I downloaded 2 days ago, and liked it, but lost internet connectivity so removed it in case it was related.

It is a nice program, though, particularly for free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you got your PC fixed. I never heard of AVAST but it looks good. Thanks for the info.

My friend told me about SKYPE one of her friends used this program & messed up there computer. I've been to the site just to see what it was but never downloaded anything there.

I use Norton (came w/PC & Ad-aware on Avant Browser since using IE I always got lots of pop-ups then while doing the scan on Ad-aware I get the VX2 reg key malware. I think this is what's causing the annoying gambling pop-ups from AURORA then all of a sudden I get the blinking grandstreet interactive site & the whole screen gets all messed up saying my virtual memory is low. I didn't have as many windows open as usual so I couldn't figure this out.

I found a message board while trying to find out about grandstreetinteractive & someone said this program is very good for removing things

XoftSpy 2005 Edition
    The Latest in Anti-Spyware & Adware Technology

http://www.paretologic.com/xoftspy/?hop=spyremove2

The Solution: Download the latest version of XoftSpy right now. Within just a few minutes you will be able to completely clean your computer of all these invasive threats! Your computer will be clean and will run alot faster - Your Privacy will be Protected!

I have to find out about the wireless connection not always connecting & making it more secure.

Sometimes I'll be online typing out a reply & as it's getting sent I get the blue screen saying to check my connection.

Also get a Network Cable is unplugged

somehow it must be the firewall blocking me.

I heard about Lucid Link but not sure how it works yet! Do I have to download it on my notebook or the desktop?

The Tech Guru
    (New York-WABC, August 10, 2005) - This segment brings you quick, easy-to-use information each Saturday morning at 7:45 on TV and on Friday night right here on 7online.com.

As I recently discovered on the streets of Manhattan using free software and some tech folks, more than half of Wi-Fi (wireless Internet) networks do not use the simplest, built-in protection that comes with their routers.
    WEP, which enables password protection, is easy to turn on and the minimum you should be using. Otherwise you leave your data and your network exposed to nosy neighbors and random strangers.

One step better - much better, actually - is to use a more sophisticated program like LucidLink.com.

There's a free, downloadable version for personal use or businesses up to three simultaneous wireless users that everyone should try (it's a $99 value).

If you are a business customer, you should try their other packages. They bring full protection at a modest price.

RESOURCES:

http://www.lucidlink.com/
    LucidLink.com

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wifi[/ame]
    Wi-Fi tips from Wikipedia

Write to [email protected] with your thoughts.

~ANDREA~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Link to Ad-Aware

http://www.lavasoft.de/news/product/info/

Lavasoft Announces the Launch of Ad-Aware SE 1.06 - An Improved Update of the Award-winning Software

Lavasoft is extensively known for delivering the most up-to-date antispyware technology to corporate and home users. In the launch of version 1.06, Lavasoft introduces a new extensive revision to the Threat Assessment Chart (TAC) which has been improved with a more fine grained technical analysis of the target criteria, which aids users to better understand why applications are detected by Ad-Aware.

With the 1.06 update you can be certain to receive the best protection available against disturbing privacy threats with faster scanning and more efficient Code Sequence Identification (CSI) capabilities in both Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch.

For a complete list of updates and changes, click here.
    http://www.lavasoft.de/news/product/...6changelog.pdf

Ad-Aware SE Plus and Professional editions
    If you are a registered user of Ad-Aware SE you are entitled to this download at no additional cost. Please use your download link, username, and password supplied in the upgrade notice you received when Ad-Aware SE was first released.

For those that had difficulty receiving the original notification and were subsequently sent new download information from our help desk, please reuse the same information to download the latest build.

If you require new download information please locate your purchase reference/order number and send it, along with your download request and the applicable Ad-Aware SE edition you purchased (Plus and/or Professional) by using this form.

If you can not locate your purchase reference/order number please contact Element5 or visit Lavasoft Customer Center.

Ad-Aware Personal
    To download the latest Ad-Aware SE Personal (freeware) build please go to our downloads page and choose the appropriate mirror site.

Note: The installer will recognize a previous installation of Ad-Aware and will prompt you to uninstall it prior to completing the installation of the new build.

~ANDREA~