Buying a new pc question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Buying a new pc question

I am considering buying a new pc with the new Windows Vista. I could use more memory and my PC is 6 years old and has a few minor glitches.

So, how does one get all the info moved from one PC to a new Operating System?
    I mean documents, pictures etc...
    I would think one would back up to a disk and reload to new pc.
    Just wondering if the new OS recognizes the old OS and simply upgrade the files etc...
    What I do not want is two different Operating Systems on one PC.

Thanks for any advice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would assume that all file types supported with your OS will be supported by Windows Vista, but I'm not sure. When I got my new computer, I was moving from Windows 95 to Windows XP and I had no problems. Perhaps you can look on the Windows website for Vista info?? For moving files, a direct link between computers is quickest, but it's hard to set up if you don't know what you're doing (at least I found it to be; I finally had to get my brother to do it for me). If you have a DVD burner on your old computer, that will make file transfer much quicker, as you can move 4GB at a time instead of 700MB on a CD. Another file transfer option is a memory key, which is a portable hard drive that plugs into a USB port and then you can just drag&drop files onto it. HTH...getting a new computer is super exciting and fun and I hope it works out well for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do u have a cd or dvd burner with the old puter? then u could burn all the files u needed on cd then put back on new puter.
    or u could if u had or borrow from someone a SanDisk 2.0GB Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive (its a mini hard drive ) comes in 512mb, 1 GB, 2 GB. Theyre great to have. Im getting one this spring plus more ram and a video card. Starting this month with hubby to put away fro it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?

Quote Originally Posted by chatterweb View Post
    So, how does one get all the info moved from one PC to a new Operating System?
    I mean documents, pictures etc...
    I would think one would back up to a disk and reload to new pc.

Thanks for any advice!
    Windows XP has something called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard designed to do that kind of thing. Search Helpto see if Windows Vista has the same thing. If it does that should help you a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like you've received some answers, but I have some caution. We students are being cautioned not to move over to Vista yet. It's so new, things are still being worked out.

Also, if it's just that you don't have enough memory/space, you can upgrade. Considerably cheaper than buying a whole new computer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ordered a new computer for work from Dell last week, and they have already switched their desktops to Windows Vista, so I guess I'm going to learn how to use it whether I want to or not. I really didn't want to have it on my new computer, but my work jerked me around for so long before I could order that now I'm stuck with it. I hope it works okay, or else

Has anyone used Windows Vista yet? How is it compared to XP?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DH and I each just bought new laptops with Windows Vista. We love them first of all. Ok love is strong but they have some really neat features. You should have no problem moving your files but some of your software may not work. Windows Vista does have something built in that helps you find patches and such to get programs going that aren't Vista compatable. However, the software maker has to have the patches available. I do taxes and my tax program will not work correctly with Windows Vista. Thankfully we still have a desktop running XP. There are some websites that I have gone to that don't work correctly. DH's company warned people to not switch to Vista but he has had no problems with their software. Some of the problems come when you don't get enough memory. Vista is a memory hog so make sure that you get enough. At least 1.5 GB but 2 if you can. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AheeK View Post
    I ordered a new computer for work from Dell last week, and they have already switched their desktops to Windows Vista, so I guess I'm going to learn how to use it whether I want to or not. I really didn't want to have it on my new computer, but my work jerked me around for so long before I could order that now I'm stuck with it. I hope it works okay, or else

Has anyone used Windows Vista yet? How is it compared to XP?
    I purchased a new computer from Dell last month and it has Windows Vista on it. I thought it would be confusing, but I really like it. It comes with some neat features and I think you are going to like it once you get used to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whew, that's great to hear! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ordered the Belkin Vista for transferring files from Costco.
    But, I think I am going to return it. It did not have great reviews.

Now, I am thinking of buying an external hard drive for my new PC.

I am going to try to get all of this done by Sunday.
    We are going to visit my Grandparents in the high desert.
    I am giving my Grandfather my old pc. He is so excited!
    It is still really good, an Emachine Windows XP from 2001.

1 more question: Can I give him the new keyboard and mouse for my old pc and keep my old keyboard and my old mouse for my new pc?

I think I can, the plug is exactly the same.

My old mouse (which I love) is a Microsoft intellipoint, so I may want to make sure it is compatable with Vista. I have a cd for the program still...

But it should be, since laser mice are popular, right?

TIA from a not s o savvy PC person!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey..

I just got my new Dell with windows Vista on it last week, and while it is nice I would suggest waiting if you can. Vista still has a lot of compatibility issues (at least it does for me) because it is so new. It is something you can deal with, but if you have a lot of programs that you use on your computer regularly, then you may want to see if they'll even work with Vista and if not then either wait a while until more software gets updated for Vista or at least keep your old computer with your programs on it. It's just sort of a hassle to have a new OS that is not compatable with everything, in my opinion.

As far as file transfering goes, you've gotten some good advice. If I were you I would burn my pictures onto a cd and leave them there. That way you'll save the memory space on your new computer, but will still have your pictures. You can always copy a picture onto your computer for the background or something if you want. But that's just my opinion and what I did with all of my pictures. Just make sure you label the cd's

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even if you do store your pictures on your hard drive, I highly recommend also backing them up on CDs. My hard drive crashed about a year ago and I almost lost ALL my pictures for the last three years. I was able to recover them, but it was so scary thinking I'd lost them all. Always back up everything on your hard drive!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob baronmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Vista has a program to transfer files on it. You need that direct connect cable. You can get them at Radio Shack or Walmart, but they are $35-39. I didn't see the need to spend that money for a cable I was going to use one time, so I just saved the information that I wanted to keep on a portable drive. Then loaded everything that way. I am not thrilled with Vista so far. I had one computer crash after 4 days, and had to get another. Hopefully you will not have any problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by chatterweb View Post
    1 more question: Can I give him the new keyboard and mouse for my old pc and keep my old keyboard and my old mouse for my new pc?

I think I can, the plug is exactly the same.
    Sure, don't see why not. If they are both PS2 or both USB (ok, if the plug is same) then yes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi!!! I am now on my new pc with windows vista!

I hooked up my old mouse and keyboard right when I started the new computer.

It worked with no problems.

I also installed my old printer with no problems. I did not even have to use a disk or program.

I like Vista. It is very efficient, so far.
    I even downloaded my favorite anit virus program and uninstalled the Norton that was on the hard drive.
    I decided to transfer my documents and pics to a cd and upload them onto the new PC. It worked just fine.
    Anyways, thanks for all the help and I think my PC is a better one than the PC my mom got. Even thought they are both HP, her system is slower than mine. IOHO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast