help needed re:laptop computer
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default help needed re:laptop computer

I have my heart set on getting a laptop computer and have been working a lot of extra hours to get the money and not put it on the credit card I just paid off this year. I've never had a laptop and just barely understand them (sorta)
    I know that along with the laptop I need to buy a wireless card and router and also a case.
    Is there anything else I will need?
    My connection on my desktop is cable internet (from Suddenlink-formerly Charter) I feel the laptop is going to save me some money in the end because I plan on taking enough cable channels off to enable me to get rid of the digitial box (this will be hard for me since I've always had a lot of cable channels) But I think there will be enough on to watch--if I have to make a choice from a smaller selection and I am also planning on watching some tv shows that are available on the net for free. I also think that if I can sit on the couch and be online that I won't be as attached to my cable tv. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe I've been paying it for all these years. Unfortunately, I do have to keep cable to keep my cable internet--if another cable company would come in to my town, I would be running to transfer service.
    My second question is:
    does anyone know of any good deals/rebates that would make this purchase a nice/good laptop at the least possible expense. My main concerns with it are just being online and having the memory/ram? to surf quickly and watch video. My main activities on the internet are surfing for freebies/blogging/posting in forums/playing online games (sites like grab,iwin & popo) and watching video. I'm not so concerned with having all the microsoft software (such as word/office etc) or extra software such as games,etc. I use firefox browser on my desktop as my primary browser (for everything unless a site has to function in internet explorer) and can download free programs that work similar to word--I want to try Nanowrimo (national novel writers month) this year and think it would be nice to have a laptop for that too. So I'm going to store a lot of info too (but I guess you can get outside things that plug in that I can do that with)

I'm computer literate to an extent but some things I haven't tried or learned yet. Any two cents anyone would like to put in would be appreciated---I know this is a long windy post (sorry) but likewise any small tip or long-winded reply will be very much appreciated. I want to have some good knowledge when I'm considering a purchase and you guys always seem to have that know how!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Computers are a hobby of mine, so maybe I can help you out, at least a little bit.

To get a good deal, I would suggest checking Tigerdirect You can get a GREAT deal especially if you watch for rebates.

I know that along with the laptop I need to buy a wireless card and router and also a case.
    If you are purchasing a brand new laptop, a wireless card will already be installed. Ask the sales person to be sure, but there is no reason why it wouldn't come with the laptop.

I'm not so concerned with having all the microsoft software (such as word/office etc) or extra software such as games,etc
    Try open office Open Office if you think might want to use a spreadsheet program or any of the other Microsoft-type programs. It's a good free replacement for pricey Microsoft programs.

So I'm going to store a lot of info too (but I guess you can get outside things that plug in that I can do that with)
    You will probably want to purchase a jump drive for this. Again, I would look on Tigerdirect. Sometimes you can get one for around $5 after rebate.

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions or want more information. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for that OpenOffice tip!

My trial version of Microsoft Office that came on my new laptop just expired and while I can LOOK at the files I have in there, I can't do anything WITH them--not even copy lol. OpenOffice fixed that problem n now I'm not sure I'm going to get Microsoft Office on this 'puter after all. Very coolie!!

~Thanks again

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just checked out the open office site. What a great deal. i have microsoft office but it was expensive. I wish I new about the site then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know!! I'm tempted to blog about it, I'm so excited LOL!

~~