couponing gone wrong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default couponing gone wrong

Ugh, Winn-Dixie you are my nemesis.

I don't buy much at WD, just don't care for the store but occasionally the deals are worth it.

I bought

6 jars of Vlassic pickles BOGO with .75 off coupons.
    4 boxes of rice crispy cereal BOGO with dollar off two coupons.
    2 cover-girl foundations BOBO with 2.50 off of two coupon
    4 dog treats BOGO with 1.00 of each coupons
    and here's the kicker
    they had a deal for buy two packages of dove soap and get one dove deodorant, suave conditioner, ponds facial wipes and st. Ives lotion all for free.
    I had two .55 off coupons to go with the soap.
    1.00 off on the deodorant and 1.50 off the ponds wipes.

I knew things were not going to go well when the cashier asked to see my coupons before she would begin the transaction. She looked over all of them before she rang anything.Don't know what she was looking for because she did catch anything until she rang them.

Problem number one was my fault, the dog treat coupons had expired the day before. But when I told her I no longer wished to purchase the item she freaked and called her manager over?! Okay, you can't just void it?

Problem number two, the pickles. I had six jars and six coupons.
    The coupon says limit one coupon per purchase. In coupon speak that mean I can only use one coupon per jar, NOT one coupon per transaction. A transaction would be my total purchase , not each item. She had to call for help on that one too.

With the cereal I bought a box of the frosted ones, the picture didn't show those. However is clearly said ANY rice crispy cereal. She let me use the coupon because it scanned but she didn't like it.

And then came the dove deal. Apparently I can't use coupons on the free items. Okay fine then, but by that reasoning then I should not be allowed to use two coupons on any BOGO deal. So why can I use them on some free items and not others?
    When I told her I didn't want to buy any of the dove items if I couldn't use the coupons she froze. She kept repeating to me that I could not use coupons on free items. I told her I clearly understood that and that I did NOT want to buy the items at all. She had to call for help once again! I should mention this is an older woman who has worked at this store for years. She should be able handle all of this without help. She is the only morning cashier so I had to go to her line.
    From now on I go at night when the kids are working.
    You wouldn't believe the mess my receipt is in.I don't feel my total is correct but it's such a mess I can't make head nor tails of it.

I felt like I was a target because of that show.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh! Sounds like a mess!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel for you!!

I had a similiar issue a couple of weeks ago at Walmart. Their policy says that if a coupon is for more than the value of the item, the excess goes to the cart total (i.e. if the item is $1 and you have a coupon for $2 off, then you get $1 credit towards your other purchases). I had coupons for floss for $1 off and it was 88 cents and for $3 off razors that were 2.88. The casher wasn't sure what to do and called her manager over.

He told me they would only give me the .88 off and the 2.88 off because they were giving me the coupon value anyway. I explained that if he took a moment to read the coupon that he would understand that the manufacturers was going to reimburse them for the full value of the coupons and giving me less than that would be fraud. He was very pissy about it and gave in after I stood my ground and said I wasn't leaving unless they gave me the full coupon value.

You would think that as couponing is one of the current "in" things, that stores would spend a few minutes to go over their policy with their employees and get them up to date.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Exactly why I don't even bother...too much hassle to save a couple bucks for me.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't see that any of it was your problem, just a silly older woman who's not smart enough to deal with anything out of the routine.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LynnLC View Post
    Exactly why I don't even bother...too much hassle to save a couple bucks for me.
    90% of the time I have no issues and the savings are more then a couple of bucks. In just this single trip I used 17.00 on coupons. The day previously I used 19.00 dollars worth at Publix.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post

I felt like I was a target because of that show.
    Ann, I am so with you on this! During the 1st episode, me and my dh both got a "sinking" feeling from it. And look what's happening.....I don't know the details yet, but Publix has supposedly changed their coupon policy. I heard too that that Target coupons now state that you can only use one per visit. In other words, you will no longer be able to buy w/coupon more than one of the same item. For me this can literally destroy my way of using coupons, especially since our Publix stores accepts Target coupons!

It's getting scarey! I need to see for myself what these "changes" will bring. But yeah, I don't think that show is helping at all!

Very sad!
    Theresa
    Last edited by mamamia; 05-10-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ann ~ so sorry to hear you had a hard time, but to play devil's advocate here,
    one: the dog treats, that's an obvious one as to why the q's didn't work & why you put them back, but I just want to point out that this cashier may not have "clearance" to void items. Many times the cashier will have to have a "manager's approval" for voids or coupons over a certain limit -

two: pickles - YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I agree with you 100%. If you have 6 jars & 6 q's, you're good.

three: Cereal - I'm with you again, You're right. So many times this happens to me too, they think the item has to match the picture.

four: Dove items - I think this was because the free item rings up as $0. - if it's a BOGO deal, the items ring up at half price, therefore the computer will accept a coupon off that price. If the item rings up at zero, you can't reduce zero.

Just my guess. Maybe next time you could get the manager to explain it for you while they are at the register?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bumplett View Post
    one: the dog treats, that's an obvious one as to why the q's didn't work & why you put them back, but I just want to point out that this cashier may not have "clearance" to void items. Many times the cashier will have to have a "manager's approval" for voids or coupons over a certain limit -
    I have been a cashier for two of our local grocery stores and have never heard of having to get an approval to void an item. This would be a major hassle as things accidentally ring up twice all the time.

two: pickles - YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I agree with you 100%. If you have 6 jars & 6 q's, you're good.

three: Cereal - I'm with you again, You're right. So many times this happens to me too, they think the item has to match the picture.

four: Dove items - I think this was because the free item rings up as $0. - if it's a BOGO deal, the items ring up at half price, therefore the computer will accept a coupon off that price. If the item rings up at zero, you can't reduce zero. At this particular store BOGO items do not scan at half price. It's full price for the first one and zero on the second and yet I can use two coupons no problem. However with the Dove deal it does ring as zero because there is only one of them so I do see the problem.If this had been the explanation I received I would have felt more confident about his refusal to take the coupons, lesson learned. I'll just save those coupons for the three other stores that will let me do that.

I have no issues with following the rules, it's the uncertainty of "what rules will apply on this visit" that gets me. I have been able to use coupons on the free items in the past. It's also the attitude I was getting that upsets me. I was not rude, ugly or upset in any way shape or form and yet I was treated as if I was doing something wrong when I chose not to purchase the items because i wasn't going to get them at the price I anticipated.

Just my guess. Maybe next time you could get the manager to explain it for you while they are at the register?
    He did explain it and I got an unintelligible answer. Thanks for your response. I'm a prepared shopper who try's to keep on top of rule changes but lately it feels like the changes happen faster then I can clip the coupons. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that you're at home and there's no stress/pressure - if you're able to, copy your receipt (if your printer allows) and write all over that sheet. Pair off the reg priced item and the corresponding coupon discount line and go through every scan on your receipt to make sure you weren't 'ripped off' by the cashier b/c she was confused with the coupons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Libby- Brilliant. I don't know why I didn't think to copy it.
    Your "ripped" off remark made me laugh. This poor lady is so anal about being perfect it would probably kill her if I came back to tell she made a mistake.
    I suspect there is a special need with her, she is so robot like.Even her voice and face make no expression. Perhaps aspergers ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I hope there's nothing wrong with her but that she's just stuck in a rut and chooses to not do something about it to get out and just accepts that she's going to be a cashier for the rest of her life? But the photocopy thing - yeah, I've had to do it when the cashiers get all wonky about coupons or promos. I've even gone back with my photocopy to the customer service desk to show them where the error was and they just credit me back - never go back to the cashier thats asking for it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-Sigh- I had a similar experience at Rite Aid this week- Welch's Juice- $2/6, get $1 reward. I bought 2 bottles, had 2 -.55 coupons, the 20 yo cashier began pointing out (politely, I'll give her) 'Ma'am, it says one coupon per purchase, you can't use two'. Yes, I explained, I can, as I'm purchasing two......she did eventually put it through, but what an annoyance, and I was buying 2, not 22! I could tell she still wasn't sure it was right or not.

I blame the show less than the frauds who use fake coupons and mis-use valid ones....though I'm sure the show doesn't help, it appears the vast majority are doing nothing illegal.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That show is not going to be good for normal coupon users. As most of the people on the show OVER DO it IMO. It will be just a matter of time before they have ruined it for most of us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    90% of the time I have no issues and the savings are more then a couple of bucks. In just this single trip I used 17.00 on coupons. The day previously I used 19.00 dollars worth at Publix.

That is good savings , Ann. I'm not as skilled in the coupon dept. They would be paying me to leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast