Is there an income stigma with coupons?
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Is there an income stigma with coupons?

Food for thought:

https://www.williamsondailynews.com/...7999e093e.html

" Are you ever embarrassed at using coupons? Do you think they make you look low-income at the store? "
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think so. Usually the checkout clerk seems impressed. Some ask me where I got a particular coupon (like the free rotisserie chicken at Safeway a couple of years ago.) If they seem interested I make a point to tell them how I appreciate the store helping me w/ my household budget $$$.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never noticed it, although we don't use a lot of coupons.

Where we seem to get "attitude" is when we bring our canvas bags. WM clerks seem particularly snotty about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought it was interesting that she said higher income households were more likely to use coupons than lower income households. I think that's because the lower income shoppers are more likely to buy generic. I think there may be more stigma associated with generic/store brand products than with coupons.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I've never noticed it, although we don't use a lot of coupons.

Where we seem to get "attitude" is when we bring our canvas bags. WM clerks seem particularly snotty about it.
    Our local WM has announced that when they run out of single use bags, that's it. Both states in our area have passed laws banning the bags, not implemented yet but will be in the future.

PS - I couldn't care less if anyone thinks I am "low-income" for using coupons. I am not likely to ever see them again.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I noticed last time we were in WM, they're selling reusable bags. They have them right on their round racks at the checkouts.

I think eliminating plastic bags would be a good thing overall. We reuse them for lots of things though, so would have to adjust. We don't get tons of bags because of using canvas most of the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started another thread on plastic bags. There's more at stake than just eliminating garbage.

Nearly everyone sells re-useable bags now, they're trendy. Even Joann's has them. I have so many I've been given free as promotions I've started leaving the extras in my shopping cart when I leave the store. Except for at Aldi, I don't see many people using them.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I turn down the free reusable bags. I've never had one that lasted very long, and they don't seem to be able to handle heavy stuff. Don't think they're very washable, either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use many coupons, mainly because they are rarely for items I use. If I can find a coupon for what I need, then I'll use it. I can't think of any times people have looked down on me, although I have had some friends joke around with me if I use a coupon for a meal or drinks or something. They aren't being negative about it, and generally think it's smart. As far as the bags, I've never had any negative reactions to them, no matter where I use them. Mine last me years, some more than a decade, and I wash them all easily.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I typically just shop on the Safeway website and schedule a delivery or pickup depending on my availability. Best part about doing this is the site lets you know what items have coupons and promos available.