Craft Ideas to do with the kids that costs as close to nothing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Craft Ideas to do with the kids that costs as close to nothing

Ok so I am trying to do weekly if not daily craft time with a 3 yr old and a 5yr old and quickly running out of ideas. So far we have done

This week end I am throwing out my last craft in my head of making stadium seats with newspapers which I learned in girl scouts.

Can anyone save me please with some ideas?
    The only criteria is they cost as close to nothing as possible.

Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

http://www.dltk-kids.com/type/tp_roll.htm toliet paper tube crafts

http://www.cinergy.com/envirofun/trash_to_treasure.htm Several good ideas

http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/crafts.html Some of these are free, some are only available through the paid site

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/paperplate/ Paperplate crafts -- lots of other stuff if you search the rest of the site

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Jello Finger Paint

This is a really cheap one. You can get a pack of jello at the dollar store around here 4 or 5 for $1. You could do several different colors for cheap!

Jello Finger Paint

What you need:
    • Any kind of flavored jello
    • Boiling water
    What to do:
    Mix jello into boiling water until it is a goo consistency for fingerpaint. Use normal fingerpainting material or glossy paper. Kids love the smell and feel of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. Toilet paper binoculars. My kids love these. I let them either tape or glue two together (tape makes them last longer), and then paint them.

2. Macaroni anything...necklaces, pictures, etc. (Great for the boxes of macaroni that I always have in the back of the cupboard, that are kind of stale).

3. One man band. Make instruments out of stuff you find around the house. Dry beans in a container make a great shaker, kleenex box and rubberbands make a great guitar, old coffee cans and wooden spoons make good drums.

4. Cornstarch and water. When you mix it together it makes a really cool goo. (and a box of cornstarch is under a buck). I put it in a 9x13 cake pan, give the kids a bunch of utensils and set them at the kitchen table and they play for hours. And when the "goo" dries, it turns to powder and wipes up really easily.

5. Painting with crayons & watercolors. My 7 year old loves this, Make a drawing with crayons, then filll in with water colors. The crayon acts as a seperator for the colors.

6. Homemade windsocks with construction paper and/or crepe paper.

7. potato stamping. You'll have to cut the potatoes into shapes, but once you do they can do all the stamping!

Normally, at the beginning of the summer I head to the library and hit the kids section. They have a TON of books on kid's crafts. We bring them home and the kids pick out the things they want to do, and we make notes and play from our list all summer long.

This year we are doing a "Mommy Daycamp" for our kids. Myself and a bunch of SAHM's are going to get together every Friday at the park and each week two different mom's are in charge of the day. They are in charge of snacks & crafts. It's way cheaper than sending the kids to day camp and they will get the same benefit of playing with the other kids and doing fun things!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We're doing a "Mommy day camp" for our third year running. I have to say it is often one of the highlights of my summer.

Great ideas, guys. I've tried making a calendar of of these activities. Once I get it completed, I'll post it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

www.familyfun.com always has some great ideas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you I am going to start checking those sites and saving toliet paper rolls that we go through like water

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

honestly, think of stuff you have you dont use much!

straws, pipe cleaners, paper of all types (even tissue paper!), rubber bands, markers, crayons, outside dirt can be used as clay.

hm play do: http://www.recipezaar.com/124462

paper rolls, paper bags, boxes can be turned into toys/cars/etc.

make hm "flash" cards (fun and educational).

make a "fort" with couch cushions and some blankets and serve lunch in there!

there's always fun pasta and glue, glitter, etc.

good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found a recipe to make silly putty here:

Ingredients:

* One bottle of Elmer's glue
    * 1 tablespoon of Powdered Borax
    * 1 cup of Water
    * Various Food colorings of your choice
    * One measuring cup
    * An empty plastic soda container
    * One small plastic zip-loc bag

Step by Step:

1. Initially mix the Borax powder with the water together in the soda bottle.

2. Place the soda bottle cap on and shake the bottle vigorously ensuring the Borax has completely dissolved.

3. Place 1 tablespoon of the Elmer's glue into the plastic bag.

4. Add one teaspoon of tap water.

5. You may now add one or two drops of your favorite food coloring.

6. Add 1 tablespoon of the mixed Borax to your Zip-loc bag and then seal it.

7. Proceed to massage the mixture in the bag for a few moments.

The contents of the bag will slowly take on the silly putty texture. Whenever you may remove your putty from the Zip-loc in a single clump begin rolling it in your hands and fingers. The more that you can roll the imitation putty in your fingers then the more it will resemble the real thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You have already got great ideas here, but I just wanted to post one of our favorites. It is especially good when you have an almost empty bottle of craft paint. Add water to the paint bottle, shake it up, pour it into a dish, add dish detergent and blow into it with a straw. You should get colorful bubbles. The kiddos love it. Then, either plop a piece of paper on top to get cool bubble patterns, or gently scoop up the bubbes with hands and lay on paper.

The 'bubble paintings' are great by themselves, but also make neat backgrounds for cut out fish and seaweed. We use tinfoil and old magazine pages quite a bit. Yarn and tissue paper make good seaweed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This post has got me totally motivated! I think I am going to print out some calendars and try to "map out" our activities! Have a couple of activities planned for each day, so when the kids complain that they are bored, I can just pick an activity off the calendar!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my boys were tiny, we did "thing" pictures.

You get "things" and they could be anything from a cut up sponge (bought in a bag at the dollar store and I would cut up the ones that were too deformed to use), cut up balloons (for older kids), cut up balloon strings (inchish long strips), cut up colored paper (like the ads you get in the paper or as junk mail or the ends and pieces of construction paper from another project), or cut up poster board. I would throw in some cotton balls to the mix.

You put glue out on yogurt lids (about a quarter sized circle). I would give them cheap paint brushes and a piece of construction paper. I would put a bowl of "things" on the table.

They would pick a "thing" and paint some glue on it and stick it to their piece of construction paper. They loved making these pictures. Usually, it wound up to be a picture of random "things". But, I have heard of girls (I have all boys) making actual "pictures".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I have already posted on this thread, but it's a great thread and I wanted to add just a bit more!

Today my kids played outside for 3 solid hours! I had brought out fabric scraps, string and scissors. They made an awesome campsite for their playmobile toys. They took twigs from the yard to make tent frames (tied together w/ string) and covered them w/ fabric for their tents. They arranged stones and leaves to add to the campsite feel. They used a small food container to make a 'pond'. They had so much fun! (until the wind started blowing and the clouds rolled in!) Anyway, they have told me about their future plans! They are so excited! So, I realize, just taking toys outside and playing with them in new ways is a lot of fun. I know there's not a lot of crafting involved, but the tents are pretty crafty.

Another thing we did today, was to take the net bags that produce sometimes come in, and use it as a stamp for fish scales. The kids watercolored a piece of paper, drew some designs w/ marker, and then dipped the net bags in paint to make some scaly prints. Then they cut out a fish shape and added a few more details with marker.

Tomorrow we are doing some paper mache. That's always fun and inexpensive. Last year we made paper mache heads, added a scrap fabric body to make a puppet. We then painted an old white sheet (I just picked another one up at the thrift store for 50 cents) to make a cool background for a play (we cut out a rectangle from the center and hung it up on the clothesline).

Thank you for the thread! I am inspired to do more crafting w/ the kiddos this summer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Boyz View Post
    This post has got me totally motivated! I think I am going to print out some calendars and try to "map out" our activities! Have a couple of activities planned for each day, so when the kids complain that they are bored, I can just pick an activity off the calendar!
    I just remebered, when my kiddos were younger we made a 'boredom buster' jar. (I think we got the idea from family fun) Anyway, we wrote different activities (build a lego house, paint a fish, make a clay monster etc.) on scrapes of paper, and then put all of the papers in a jar. Whenever the kiddos said they were bored, I told them to draw out of the 'boredom buster' jar. It worked great! I had forgotten about that one, I think I'll do it again this summer, with a bit of an upgrade for the older kids! They'll like it much better than my usual response... 'If your bored, I have a lot of jobs for you to do!"

A calendar is a great idea as well, but I do not posess the best organizational skills! LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow totally awsome ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast