Craft Ideas for 5 yo?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Craft Ideas for 5 yo?

I'm lacking creative ideas and activities for little girls. I have 2 in my house for 10 hours a day for the month of august and 1/2 days for the school year. I need some ideas! But things that are frugal in doing. Not expensive components. Themed ideas are great! I'm trying to gather ideas for that too. But I might just expand on what they are doing at school when it starts. Both are in Kindergarten, my dd is younger and a perfectionist of the 2, so nothing that is too intricate or she'll be very frustrated.

We have playdough, coloring and painting available.

I'm looking at themes:
    Back to School
    Fall/Thanksgiving(October here)
    Hallowe'en
    Winter
    Christmas
    Animals
    Valentines
    Spring/Easter
    Mothers day/gardening/nature
    Fathers day/summer/safety
    Dinosaurs
    Ocean
    Culture(the kids are going to french school, so we'll explore french culture and french canadian culture, both have some Ukranian heritage, so we'll look at Ukranian foods, Ukranian Christmas). etc.

I've never beena homeschooler, so I am liking in ideas here

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gee, all i was given was a brush and a can of water to go paint the concrete! LOL

Can they do something like make their own sit-a-pons by gluing some fabric together and stuffing it with some scrap cloth? They can then decorate it and be very proud of making their own "place" to sit.

I love measuring and cooking at that age it involves simple counting and they can easily help with some clean up. Perhaps making/baking a treat once a week that is simple. Have it planned for monday and the girls can have them as snacks for the week. Cereal mixes, trail mixes, jello, pudding, I'm sure there are lots of resources from others here on things like that. Bread sticks are fun to make too. You make the dough and they can roll out logs and shape them as they want.

How about a braided rug. Tearing scrap fabric, learning how to braid and then stitching it into a round with a plastic darning needle and some yarn. It could be a twice a week activity so they have a project they can come back to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ceashels, HAHA!

I was embroiderying at that age..lol. But all kids are different.

Part of why activites are important is I do childcare, I've been caring for infants and toddlers who are content with just that.... but it can make the day very very long. The little one I watch is very restless, part of having been in care with some one who has entertained her, we'll be teaching her to play independantly more and more, but a planned activity a day is a good thing.

Thanks for those ideas! They are great. I even have a bag of rags that can be used!! Something they can do for a short period a couple times a week, or even daily if they want to. How would you secure the end? So that it's easier to do?

Love the getting snacks ready, great idea! And a once a week "cooking" session.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I watch kids all the time...lol...
    I have used the box method with all my playsets.
    A shoe box with stampers, a box with playdough, a box with potatoe head stuff, a box of cars, a box of crayons, with books...kinda get the idea? and then when they play they get their thing out and must stay with it for 15-20 minutes before they get a change. It has worked over the years. Afterwhile they get so used to playing that the playsets get used all the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son LOVES to make little houses for rocks (or whatever) out of shoe boxes and construction paper or PlayDoh.