Need help with Coucous...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need help with Coucous...

Coucous, never had it before in my life.. Just basically did the micro version and added salt pepper and butter.. It was okay, almost like grits but way grainier. It didn't do anything for me.. Any idea, on how to make it better. After all, I did buy one container, just to try new things and I can't waste it.
    So help.. Please

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like it made with chicken broth and some butter. I usually serve it as a base for something to go on top like a stew or meat sauce. (I've made ground meat with the McCormick wanna be pack of stroganoff sauce mix and served it on top.)

I'm not a fan of couscous leftovers. It just doesn't work for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We tried couscous, and didn't like it either. We are huge fans of brown rice, though. I won't force my family to eat something we all dislike, sometimes you just have to take the loss. JMHO

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use couscous just like I do rice as a side dish. I always cook it with chicken or beef broth instead of water and some herbs or seasonings. Depending on the flavor I want to end up with and what I'm cooking to have with it, I've added at different times, very small diced carrots, celery, onions, peppers, canned tomatoes, frozen peas and carrots, garlic, olive oil, grated parmesan, mushrooms, etc. to mine while it's cooking.

Try some italian herb blends with chicken broth and maybe some garlic and onions sauted beforehand and added in and serve that with some form of grilled chicken?

It's really good using chicken broth, fresh parsley, a dash or two of any type of seasoning or herb mix that's good with chicken, very finely diced carrots and celery added with the broth or sauted beforehand so they are softened, and served with some roasted chicken. This is my favorite way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Definitely try cooking it in chicken broth or beef broth. I've made it with butter & spaghetti sauce too. My kids LOVE it.