What kind of Toaster Oven should I get?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What kind of Toaster Oven should I get?

I have decided to do a big splurge with my tax check and get a new toaster over. I plan on getting a good sound quality name brand product so that I never buy another one. My main reason is to get something that will use less electricity and not heat up my apartment. I am trying to cut waste and I think the toaster oven will help me to that end.

Are there any bells or whistles that yours has that you would recommend me get? Is there a feature that yours has that wasn't worth the money to you? I would like one that is also a convection oven, but I am not sure they make those.

I rarely bake in anything larger than a 8" X 8" pyrex dish, but I think I should look for one that will hold a 9" X 13" dish as well. I do bake cookies, but can easily use a smaller pan.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might make a trip to your local library and check the Consumer Report for their top picks.

Personally, I'd suggest a convection/toaster oven and you might find this link helpful: http://www.consumersearch.com/toaster-ovens/reviews

I'd lean towards a Cuisinart - http://www.cuisinart.com/products/to...s/tob-195.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a convection/toaster oven in the past and it just didn't work for me. I find the simple Black and Decker toaster oven to work just fine for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would not recommend the one I have. It's a great toaster but the oven and broiler do not work well at all. I have to bake things for twice as long as the instructions say, so I rarely bake with it. It is a T Fal Avante Elite.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dh just bought us a new one today....He got the toaster over, convection and rotissiere........... it's just the 2 of us, so I expect to not be using the regular oven and using this more. We rarely (maybe 2 times a year eat out) so the rotissiere feature will add new meals for us. Plus it wasn't much more than the toaster with convection.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't recommend the one with the 3D extension in the back for a pizza tray insert. I can't remember who makes it though, sorry.

My sister complains about it b/c it takes up so much room on the counter top and did not come with a pizza tray insert for it. She's wondering what the point was lol. She uses hers to make toast or to reheat pizza slices or smaller things that should be crispy.

For making pizza, she uses a rectangular cookie sheet in her oven.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't recommend a Euro-Pro. It's hard to toast anything without burning it. It's fine for baking muffins, etc but I don't trust it for baking meat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Vickilynn - what brand is your new one?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oo oo pick me! I LOVE my Oster 6293 (had to grab the manual ). My parents have had theirs for a few years now and when we moved to our new place I had to have one. It is a convection style and I've baked muffins in it as well as whole casseroles, salmon, and 12" pizzas fit in great because the rack is bowed out in the center so it's rounded. My boyfriend and I use it constantly so as not to heat up the oven (or the house). It toasts nicely too, and my parent's one still does after a about 3 years. I broiled some chicken in it the other day and that turned out just fine. Anyway, enough of my ramble. I got mine on overstock for $65 when they were running a 10% off weekend. I think they retail in stores for more like $80 or $90.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a cuisinart with convection last year when our circuit city closed. I love it, use it almost every day. The only thing is the front of the door gets hot so grab the door with your palm up so you don't get burned. It will hold up to a 12 x 12 inch pan. Mine has touch pad buttons, no knobs on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I don't recommend the one with the 3D extension in the back for a pizza tray insert. I can't remember who makes it though, sorry.

My sister complains about it b/c it takes up so much room on the counter top and did not come with a pizza tray insert for it. She's wondering what the point was lol. She uses hers to make toast or to reheat pizza slices or smaller things that should be crispy.

For making pizza, she uses a rectangular cookie sheet in her oven.
    I actually do recommend this one...I have it and love it!
    I use mine everyday....and rarely use my big oven at all anymore.
    Mine is a Black & Decker.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine is just a basic Black and Decker and I've had it for years. Works great. I think people should take more advantage of toaster ovens. They are underrated.

Oh but I made a big mistake one time and forgot that a loaf of bread was sitting on the top when I turned it on. Now there is some pretty plastic design thingy melted on. I just cover it with a cute kitchen towel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Palooka -Are you my twin or something??? lol
    I have the Black and Decker-the older larger one. If you bend the edges of a small cookie sheet up it will fit. This is the 3rd one I have had and I love it.
    I also have made many plasic bread loaf designs because I am an iD 10 T and never learn. We make lots of things in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Vickilynn - what brand is your new one?
    Would you believe I didn't pay any attention to that....dh bought it at Walmart. He cooked frozen biscuits in it this morning. The old toaster oven took forever to bake anything....this one baked in 20 min just like the directions said it should. Can't wait to do a chicken this weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last fall I bought a Cuisinart from Amazon. It sounds like the one KatieInLa2 has. I absolutely love it, and never use my big oven now. I have not cooked meat in it, but that's just because I usually do most of that stove top and rarely used the oven for it anyway. I'm sure it would do it fine.

It comes with a pan about the depth of a jelly roll pan that I have baked cookies on. It also has a broiler insert for it. It's about 12X12. A couple of nights ago I baked a cake from a cake mix in that 12 x 12. It was afraid it would overflow when it started to rise, so I kept an eye on it, but it worked fine.

I also ordered from Amazon a stainless steel baking pan that's about 7" square. It was about $8 if I remember. It has worked beautifully for cornbread, and I've used muffin mix in it and pretended it was a "coffee cake."

It does take up a chunk of counter space (which means it's big enough to be really useful), but I had a small marble topped table I wasn't using, and I have it on that in the dining room, since I have almost no counter space in my small apartment.

I think it's one of the best purchases I have made in living memory. I am totally in love with it. It lets me cook things now like cornbread that I would never make because I just didn't want to heat up the oven for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast