Frugal Village Forums banner

5 lb box of chicken livers what would you do?

8K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  amyd 
#1 ·
So the other day I was in Food Lion and huge noticed a box of Tyson chicken livers in the frozen section. I thought about it a few times and finally went back through before I left the store and got it.

What I thought, was that it was a box of breaded, frozen chicken livers.

What I got was a 5 lb block of frozen livers. I will have to defrost the whole block or use a chain saw to cut it up.

anyways, I have decided to put it in the fridge to thaw and then spend a day of cooking them into recipes and freezing the final product.

What would you make?

Also, as a heads up, if you buy a 5 lb box of chicken livers, make sure they say "breaded".

Thanks

#3 ·
maybe its from being in the medical field and things i see and what it reminds me of but i cant cook / eat liver or use turkey necks it skeeves me out lol

so i wouldnt have bought it and if someone gave it to me i would have donated it somehow .

i hope someoen who is liver friendly has a great answer for you though !!

Reactions: Josephhgoins
#5 ·
#6 ·
lol I really expected to see some positive responses from FV'ers.... no offense intended people, but you all are such a diverse group that I fully expected to be the first one to be going "Ewww, gross." Guess not.. :lol:

Do livers go in stuffing? Can you freeze stuffing if so?

I know they sell breaded, fried ones down here at a few of the fast food joints. I guess fried and then frozen might be :puke:

You're on your own with this one lol. Sorry.

#7 ·
hahaha .. sorry ... coming up on Thanksgiving here in Canada .... would really hope if you use it in stuffing that you warn your guests .. or don't tell them til much after :p ....

#13 ·
Yeah, I have more animals than any "normal " person so no dehydrator needed. I would just divide it into plastic bags and freeze.
lol. When I was a little girl we used to get the best stuffing,very peppery, at a place called "Nickerson Farms" in Fowlerville ,MI. I just loved it. It had liver in it. Which my Dmom had to tell me. Never ate it again. But I have to say I also never hear of any other organ meat in stuffing either. To each hid own though. Every year we throw out that fatty piece at the bottom of the turkey.Name?? DSIL,also French says her family fights over who gets it. Well,she can always have ours!!

mndtrp-Halloween treats? What are you related the "The Muensters" or something??

#14 ·
Wrapped in bacon and broiled!!! Excellent party snack!

Chopped chicken liver it can be frozen and I like mine with some caramelized onions please. :)

Oh, deep fried like the Amish do at the local market. To DIE for!

nice score. :D

#15 ·
LOL, well I know gizzards, hearts, and necks go in stuffing (right? lol>>

not in my stuffing LOL
i know those parts are often boiled to make broths thought

Reactions: druthb00
#17 ·
I'm originally from Louisiana. We make rice dressing from chicken liver. we also use to wrap chicken liver with bacon and dredge in flour and fry.

#19 ·
#22 ·
I would plain-cook the whole 5 pounds, freeze them in small bags, and use them whenever a recipe or your own taste needs them. Google recipes for chicken liver and I bet you'll come up with tasty recipes and ideas.

#26 ·
Mushrooms & chicken livers are a favorite here: about 1 lb mushrooms to 1 lb of livers. Also, make "dirty" rice, the dirty portion of dirty rice is liver.

If it were me? I'd probably thaw them partially, put them in 1 lb packages and then go from there...mostly I'd probably make dirty rice, as rice freezes better than mushrooms.

Try these:
Do you have any meal ideas for OAMC (Once A Month Cooking)? - FoodAQ-About Food & Health

Other ideas: rumaki (bacon wrapped livers) or pate.

Judi

#32 ·
Actually I do remember my grandfather putting chopped chicken livers in the filling (stuffing).

Personally I probably would never had bought such a big box of chicken livers in the first place.

I would think once they are thawed in the fridge you could portion some out and refreeze them.

I would probably fry some up with MASS amounts of fried onions and eat them that way. Make a pate out of some of them. Would make a fun horedevor and have some people over for appetizers and drinks. Go ahead and bread some of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.