What are your favorite leftovers?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What are your favorite leftovers?

What are your favorite leftovers?

I'm trying to figure out a more creative way of meal planning that takes leftovers into account.

For example: I'll make a pork loin and that's great for dinner one night, the next night it's still good but after that we're not really going to want to eat pork loin again. I can freeze it but one day it struck me that I could make pulled-pork bbq sandwiches with it, so I did. It transformed the left-over pork into something that tasted completely different by adding bbq sauce and a bun.

I'm thinking I might be able to do something similar by making a big batch of black beans & rice, then take the leftovers and make spicy black bean burgers with them.

I could use some more ideas. What do you do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chicken is really the easiest for me to turn into other dishes, especially a roasted bird.

chicken tacos
    bbq chicken
    stir fry
    enchiladas
    soups
    salads
    pizza topping

It's almost endless what you can do with chicken.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Almost any leftover meat can be put into a casserole with rice, noodles, or pasta shapes and a can of cream soup (celery, chicken, mushroom, etc) and your choice of vegetables (broccoli, peas, carrots, etc) and baked until hot and bubbly. Add breadcrumbs or crackers on top for extra crunch. There are as many variations as there are grandmothers, you can do a web search if you need a recipe to follow.

I like to use leftover chicken in a pot pie, with a cream filling and crust on top. I like to put leftover beef into empanadas, which you can make with store bought pie crust. Both are also good shredded for tacos, either soft or crunchy. I prefer a pork shoulder for pulled pork, but as you found out almost anything is good in bbq sauce.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Take leftover meat, chop it, add some oil to a cast iron pan, slice up some onion, carrots, whatever you have for spare veggies, then coarsely chop a few cups of cabbage and fry the whole mess up till the veggies are tender-crisp. Serve with soy sauce, if desired. And lots of freshly ground, coarse black pepper. Or better yet, some of that gourmet pepper blend with those sweet red peppercorns in it. This works great for cleaning all those little dabs of leftovers out of the fridge, because most anything tastes good in it. It's good if to throw in some leftover rice, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All the above suggestions are great, mine is meager because I only cook once in a while. I save leftover taco meat heat it up and mix it with mac and cheese that has the real cheese not powder, very good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Leftover pasta with tomato sauce (with or without meatballs/sausage) is better the second time around. Two days later, re-heat leftovers in a frying pan with a little water, a little more sauce and evoo, it tastes delicious. Put grated cheese on it, if you must .