cabbage recipes?
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default cabbage recipes?

I've got half a large cabbage to use up and it is too cold for coleslaw. Any ideas? Looking for something hot (not spicy) and easy to make.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I saute mine with onions and apples to have with pork chops or chicken, even my boyfriend loves it, and he says he doesn't like cooked cabbage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Roasted cabbage is really good. Cut into big chunkc, little olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast @ 400 until soft. Yum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I've got half a large cabbage to use up and it is too cold for coleslaw. Any ideas? Looking for something hot (not spicy) and easy to make.
    When I first read this, I was going to ask you what the 'temp. of the cabbage' had to do with coleslaw............DUH.......got it now!!

I saved this one from here...........before all the recipes went to graveyard heaven........and have not tried it but thought it looked like it had some great potential...........was going to add kielbasa to mine. The gal that posted it----can't think of her name right now---hasn't posted in a while, but used to post some great recipes.......sorry I didn't save more! I would add some sort of meat, am sure I would have to add more spices---of some sort---and would use cider vinegar instead of white---but I never cook/can/bake with white vinegar.

German Red Cabbage

Description:
    My Mom's tradition: whoever finds the bay leave on their plate cleans the kitchen!

Ingredients:
    1 medium red cabbage shredded

1 small onion chopped

2 small or 1 large apple chopped – I prefer McIntosh apples

1/3 c sugar

1/3 white vinegar

1 tbs butter

1 tsp salt

2 bay leaves

Instructions:
    To a large pot add butter, melt, add onions and cook until tender

Add shredded cabbage and apples, cook for about 5 minutes

Add sugar, vinegar, salt and bay leaves

Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minute

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cabbage hash: Coarsely chop the cabbage. Dice up some bacon and fry it, then add a chopped onion along with the cabbage and continue cooking till veggies are tender. That's the basic version. I often use that to clean out the fridge. You can add most any firm veggie and use sliced kielbasa, cubed ham, browned ground meats, or whatever is handy instead of the bacon. Add a little veggie oil before cooking if you're using a lower fat meat, or just use water in the pan. Add coarse ground black pepper, some sesame oil if you like, butter, etc, etc, any or all that sounds good. Serve with rice if you want. You get the idea.

Cabbage Soup

1/2 head of cabbage, coarsely chopped
    1 tall can tomato juice
    1 lb. hamburger, browned
    1 onion, chopped
    1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    Place all but beans in soup pot and bring to simmer. Simmer till veggies are done. Add beans and heat through. This can be done in a Crock-Pot. Add beans toward the end. This soup freezes well. Good add-ins are cooked pasta or rice. It really doesn't need any more spices but you can add black pepper or Tabasco or whatever sounds good. For extra zip, sub zesty V-8 juice for the tomato juice. You can also add crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes for more texture. Shredded Cheddar is good as a garnish, and of course serving with crackers or a hearty bread is a nice touch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brennasmom View Post
    Roasted cabbage is really good. Cut into big chunkc, little olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast @ 400 until soft. Yum!
    I'm going to have to try this, sounds extremely easy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

love braised cabbage! yum. search the net you will find a good recipe - mine is from all about braising. yummy and house smells divine!

i like to slice thinly....then melt one pat of butter, and some canola oil, sautee an onion or two, add some cayenne pepper and black pepper, add some garlic and sautee a bit more, then slowly add cabbage and sautee altogether til done. very good! i know you said not spicy, but i think it would be just fine minus the caynne...i also add some hout sauce to the onions. it is good and easy. and, if you need more liquid, use water so that this turns out to be a 1/2 way healthy recipe!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to cut the cabbage and put in the bottom of my slowcooker then I slice potatoes and layer it on top of the cabbage,slice an onion and lay on top of the potatos,cut up smoked sausage and put on top of that and pour a can of cream of mushroom soup and 1/4 can of milk over it and cook it when the potatoes are cooked top with cheese and let it melt...My granddaughter calls it squeeky bubbles..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    I'm going to have to try this, sounds extremely easy!

It is. Easy and quick!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We like to sautee cabbage with garlic OR to liven it up, dice up some bacon, fry it up then drain on paper towels. Keep the grease in the pan and sautee the cabbage in it then re-add bacon. YUM!!

The roasted cabbage sounds like it roasted brussells sprouts to me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, I hope that original half cabbage is long gone!

Here are a couple of ideas that I use.

A stir fry/steam with coarsely sliced/shredded cabbage, garlic, grated ginger, sesame oil and soy sauce. This can be a side or a main dish if you add a little meat and serve it over white rice.

The second is a recipe from Gladys Taber, of Stillmeadow, that I have adapted over the years.

Stillmeadow Pork Chops and Cabbage

2-4 inexpensive pork steaks or chops
    1 onion
    1/2 head fresh cabbage
    milk or cream
    Salt, pepper and a few caraway seeds

Brown the pork in a little oil. Roughly slice or chop the cabbage and onion. Put the prepared onion and cabbage into a large ovenproof casserole, with a tight fitting lid. Add the seasonings and top with the browned pork. Pour in the milk or cream until you see it coming up the side of the casserole, not quite covering the cabbage. Put the lid on, place the casserole on a baking sheet and pop it into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour.

This is great on a cold winter night with baked potatoes and applesauce or an apple dessert.

If you are not familiar with Gladys Taber please give the old gal a google, her books always made me feel like a neighbor and friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know this thread is older but SD that cabbage soup is on my list for this weekend.