Gravy from stock
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Gravy from stock

~I discovered some time ago that you don't need a roast to make a savory gravy that tastes very close to "the real thing". With a simple little trick, regular broth can be made into a gravy that does not taste like salty thickened water. This is a real dollar stretcher since even weak homemade stock from a few bones, or a few fatty chicken breast clippings, or vegetable peels and ends can make a gravy that is a satisfying replacement for meat at a meatless dinner.
    All you need to do is put about 1/2 cup of your stock in a sauce pan and reduce it until it's almost completely dry and browning. I add another 1/4 cup and reduce and brown again, and then do that one more time. You do have to watch it carefully since you want it to be nearly dry but not scorched. Once you're satisfied with the color, add more broth and your thickening mixture. Season and thicken.
    I used 2 cups of "freebie" broth last night along with $.30 worth of frozen and fresh veggies and $.50 worth of garlic cheese drop dumplings to make a fantastic casserole at about $.20-$.25 a serving. I threw leftover turkey in DH's side but mine was completely satisfying and filling without it.
    I just thought there would be some folks here who would like more options for their stock than just soups. And it's virtually fat free which is another big plus.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ooo... An updated version of broth gravy!! How way cool!

I always use gravy or white sauce in place of canned soups in casseroles. This will definately help out my casseroles.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks!

I would love to know how you make and cook the dumplings??

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~For my dumplings, I use a modified biscuit recipe from the Better Homes and Garden's red & white cookbook. It's basically the Biscuit Supreme recipe(which is made with butter instead of shortening)with reduced sugar, add a sprinkle of garlic powder and a handful of shredded cheese before adding in the milk. And up the milk just enough to make the dough slightly too sticky to handle. Just eyeball it after measuring our what the recipe call for. Drop onto prepared wet ingredients already in your casserole dish and bake at 400* for 20 minutes. Super simple. I use half the recipe(1 cup of flour scale) for a 9X9 baking dish.~