Cooking for two.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Cooking for two.

It's so wierd not having ds here to cook for everyday. I'm really having trouble adjusting the amounts that I cook. Well, actually, I don't even want to cook anymore....

I got out my recipe books looking for something new and different but I haven't cooked from recipes for ages and I'm overwhelmed.

I never really enjoyed cooking but I did it to feed my family and now it seems so different with just me and dh to feed. I've cut way back on the amount of meat I cook but we still are having lots of left overs.

Any great ideas for switching over to cooking for two or even one since dh doesn't like most of the stuff that I do. I've always fixed me and kids one thing and him something different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't help you with the picky eating hubby but I can steer you in the direction of our FV forum on this very subject!
    Please do cook for yourself Carolyn, you are so worth it!

It'll be just Jack & I at the dinnertable soon so I'll be scaling back my "makes mega ammounts" recipes.
    One tip is to freeze & label leftovers. This way you can eat them up without having to eat the same thing all week.

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...s=&forumid=172

ssn01
    Tourist

Carolyn,

I'm in a similar boat myself. I've gotta bf who's pickier than I am (tho he says I'm the picky one *lol*).

Here's the funny part, his son will put away anything I put on the table. He's 11 - still w/in the picky eating age range.

Some info on me, I'm allergic to MSG, soy, am lactose intolerant AND I'm a vegetarian.
    So read as: no meat, no chinese/asian, no soy based (protein) products and definitely no dairy (tho for ice cream I take the lactase enzyme... gotta have icecream!!).

BF doesnt like most veggies, but he'll eat salad veggies. Only cooked veggies he'll eat (or knows that he'll eat) are potatoes & corn.

They dont eat much meat either... which is easy for me and if they do... i tell them to go to a restaurant or something *lol*

But, bf is terrified of new things (as apparently his parents didnt branch out in the food area)... so I end up pureeing a lotta things into spaghetti sauces... which gives variety.
    There are the mystery chuncks (tomatoes, muchrooms, olives, peppers, zucchini... use your imagination)... they dont even notice. It's sauce on pasta to them.

I make veggie soup a lot (that's the only thing w/multi veggies bf will eat)... so I add bunches of things he says he doesnt like... for nutrition's sake!

It's all about being created... but I do love to cook. So it's frustrating and interesting for me to "go into my lab & see what I can concoct next" *mwa-hahaha*

I'd say use the palm of your hand idea when it comes to portions. It's said that the palm of your hand is one serving size (equal to about how much your stomach can hold... and if you're really hungry... double it!).

I hope that's helped a little. Feel free to contact me if ya want any ideas...

Sue!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks girls! These are some great ideas. If it were just me I think I would eat a bowl of cereal every night, LOL. Dh likes variety and doesn't mind if I try something new but he doesn't care for any kind of fish or seafood and only likes BBQ chicken on the grill. He also is a meat, potatoe, veggie guy and likes a big meal at the end of the day on most days. He detests mushrooms of any kind and I love them, lol. He doesn't care for chineese food which I adore! Dh loves all of the hamburger helper stuff and I get sick to my stomach just smelling it. The kids always liked it too so on the nights I cooked HB, I would make myself a sandwich or eat leftovers. He also likes Manwich which I can't even stand to smell!

I can't eat corn or anything with skin or nuts due to diverticulitis and I can't eat spicy stuff due to acid reflux. I like plain food with barely any seasoning.

It sure is different learning to cook again.