Do you/your family eat ethnic/unusal foods?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Do you/your family eat ethnic/unusal foods?

Do you try to get your family to try new flavors?

For example, I bought a Mexican papaya at the store. It wasn't CHEAP -- $1/lb, and it was about 3.5 lbs.

But, after giving everyone a taste, I'm the only one who likes it. :raspberry Well, I'm happily eating it -- with a little splenda on it.

But it bugs me that the family turns their noses up at things that taste a LITTLE different from normal American fare. I mean, this Mexican papaya isn't THAT different from cantaloupe -- and DH loves cantaloupe. It takes about the same amount of effort to clean as a cantaloupe.

Same thing w/ salmon -- I'm the only one who will eat it. Healthy and not too expensive (I get wonderfule fillets for $3/lb through the SHARE co-op).

I bought one Mexican squash this week too. DH and DD commented on its looks. But I suspect that, once again, I'll be the only one to eat it.

I'd like to get more fruits/veggies/ethnic foods into our diet. And living fairly close to Mexico, I think we can get some unusual foods cheaply. (For example, if the Mexican papaya at the local grocery store worked out, I'd probably find a cheaper source at one of Mexican groceries in Albuquerque.)

OTOH, I bought some TAMARINO. Dry pods, with pulp and seeds inside. A woman who had come from Bolivia gave us a sample -- and I liked it. Sweet and sour and ... something else. Once I tasted it, the flavor haunted me pleasantly for hours. Anyway, the local grocery store carries them -- at $2.99/lb !!! But I bought 2 pods (0.1 lb) for $0.29. A small taste (about a half-pod) gave me a great flavor kick. And DD, who loves sour candy, tried some -- she ate it right up.

Anyway, it's kind of expensive to get the family to even try some of these new foods. But I want them to accept new tastes.

Especially, if I can find cheap, healthy ethnic foods. It'll be worth educating their palettes.

My next purchase: We're going to try prickly pear cactus!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We eat "ethnic" a lot here. Native American background, so a lot of our everyday foods, others consider ethnic.

Buffalo
    Fried squash blossoms
    fry bread
    pine nuts
    pine needle tea
    dandelions - fried flowers, tea from the roots, salad from the crowns, coffee from the roots, etc.
    lamb's quarters
    acorns

We also like to try foods from other ethnic backgrounds-- where I work we have a huge ethnic fair once a year. . . . each ethnic group picks 1 foods to serve at their booth, and a presentation (large teaching hospital with a huge multicultural staff)

ssn01
    Tourist

ALL the time.

american food disgusts me and tends to make me very ill unfortunately.
    So i live off of fresh foods, no meat & lots of imported grains (as american grains simply cannot compare!).

Sue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love to shop for different foods at our local Vietnamese market. i just discovered seaweed and love to cook it into my organic oats

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Being in a multi-cultural marriage, yes. Dh is Cuban/Chinese so we eat a lot of Cuban fare. He also went to Japan a couple years ago and has been obsessed since, so we eat a lot of Asian. His good friend was Indian (country) and we love that food. Alex always boasts that she is the only kid in her class who will eat sushi or calamari. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can I please come eat with you guys???? I just love food and will give anything a try. SO and DD on the other hand, don't like anything and they refuse to try new stuff. Of course, they are both skinny and I'm not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eat food from all over. Both my DSs are chefs and they cook delicious chinese, thai, indian, mexican food. My DH is german so I cook german food for him that we all eat. and living here in Australia, we are on the edge of asia, so we often try food from other countries which is freely available here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow everyone's lists are making me hungry!

I have to eat out to eat anything "unusal." My roomies don't like Indian or Vietnamese food but I love it.

I have to say Forestdale that you are LUCKY to have so many chefs in the family. I was drooling reading your post.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We love Mexican and Italian foods. DH loves anything that is spicy. He has eaten food from Korea. I haven't. DS#1 and I also love Chinese food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont buy many "different" foods,for the fear of it wasting,but love to eat out at italian,mexican,and chinese places. If it looks or smells good,I'll at least try it...
    Never tried any other ethnic foods.

Are the tamarino those little green thingys? Looks kinda like a small green tomato with leaves on them..? or are those something else..?

My favorite food has got to be Mexican. When I'm grocery shopping,I watch the mexicans and see what they buy LOL
    They buy a lot of tomatoes,jalapenos (sp) and cheese. I'd love to get some authenic mexican recipes.

Dh's friend (from his previous job) married a mexican girl and she cooks some good stuff. Makes everything homemade. She doesn't speak much english,but is learning.Once she gets to where she understands me more I'm asking for some recipes

Sorry for the ramble

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

tammy, you should swap english lessons for mexican cooking lessons.

Mopsie, i like vietnamese food too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tammy,
    I think you are thinking about tomatillos. Tamarino are brown pods with a brown covered seeds. We used to eat them right off the trees in Hawaii.

I grew up in a multicultural community also (you can't get much more multicultural than Hawaii folks!) and was also blessed to be raised at a resort with some of the best chefs around cooking foods from all over the world. Because of this, serving multicultural foods is as natural as breathing to me. Heck, I even had sushi at my wedding reception!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda--I should!! She didn't speak ANY english at all. She came straight from Mexico (she was illegal)and was working for Jason's mom and they later got married.
    She was taking some classes (Jason was taking mexican classes) and did learn some English. She understands some things but she'll often just shake her head yes lol Jason has told her not to do that if she doesn't know what people are saying.There's no telling what she's said yes to.
    They each know a little of each language to understand each other.

Thats it Debbie...I guess the other just reminded me of tamatillos.
    What do tamatillos taste like? I always just figured the mexicans here put them in salsa lol

Now sushi--I won't try

My dad and brother eat sardines.When I was pregnant with Ashley (before I got married) My brother left a open can on the counter,in the sun,and man did those things ever stink up the house. I would gag everytime I walked in the kitchen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew up in the service my dad was in the navy we always ate different things, I still do. It's funny my dh thought my family members were all gourmet cooks when we were first married. When the fact is my parents had lived in that many places, picking up on the cultural foods.

Debbie we also lived in Hawaii for about 3 years.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does soul food count as ethnic? lol That's my favorite!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast