need to use up some brie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default need to use up some brie

I bought several wheels of Brie around Christmas, when it was on sale at Aldi because I usually take it to holiday gatherings. Well, two of those were cancelled due to bad weather and the third one we are ordering pizza for instead. I still have two left and need to use them up by the end of this month...any ideas? Should I freeze them and try to use them in baking later? There's not a lot of non-appetizer recipes for brie that I've been able to find.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have used mine as part of lunch. I thow some preserves on it and heat it in the microwave, then slice a bunch of apples, celery. carrots and ham to serve with crackers or crusty bread.

I would imagine though it would be good in a cheese sauce, but you would want to cut off the rind.

I've never frozen a wheel of brie, but I do have a wheel of camembert sitting in my fridge too. I'll probably pull that out for today or tomorrows lunch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This one from recipelink.com sounds wonderful.

Chicken with Brie
    rec.food.cooking/April Jones (2001)
    Servings: 4

Here is recipe that I really like. A cranberry chutney would be very good as a topping and would be easy to create.

4 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
    1/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
    4 Tbsp. butter
    1 Tbsp. oil
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup cream
    6 ounces Brie, rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1/2 cup Granny Smith apple, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted

Place the chicken between plastic wrap and pound to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Dip each piece into the seasoned flour.

Heat a 12-inch skillet. Add butter and oil. When foaming add floured chicken breasts. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add wine and cream to pan. Cover and simmer 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove chicken and check for doneness, set aside and keep warm.

Allow liquid to reduce to 1/2 cup over med-high heat. Reduce the heat so sauce simmers. Add the chicken breasts back into the pan, coat with sauce.

Add brie and shake pan over heat until the cheese is melted and sauce to smooth.

Place chicken on a heated serving platter. Add the pecans and apples to the sauce and pour over chicken. Garnish with a few pecan and apple pieces if desired

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mmm Brie. I don't think it would freeze well.

This is one of our favorite sandwiches for Brie.

Take a roll, french bread, italian bread...whatever you have. Slice it in half horizontally and open it up. Slightly toast it under the broiler, just a minute or so. Thinly slice the brie (about 1/4" thick") and put that on the lightly broiled bread. Then put that under the broiler for 1 minute or so, until the brie starts to soften and melt. Take out, spread brie around bread a little, then top with thinly sliced ham, prosciutto..what ever meat you have...even thinly sliced roast beef. put that on top and...you've got it, put it back under the broiler for another minute until the meat on top starts to brown.

I serve this with a salad of some sort. DH also puts a little mustard on the side for dipping, depending on what meat is on top.

You could probably make this vegetarian as well, just use roasted peppers and onions in place of the meat!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default cheese

I used up all my "extra" cheese balls and cheese wheels in casserole reciepies, and made a killer macaroni and cheese that I will never be be to reproduce since I am not really sure what all I used up in it, it was really good!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think it'll be a whole year before I'm ready to buy any more brie once I get this all eaten!! Now I need to find a use for the cool little round boxes they come in....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brie does not really have a 'sell by'-date. The French will even appreciate it more if it comes out of its shell almost liquid! It will start smelling horribly / wonderfully, depending on how much you like French cheese.