Crochet Yo-Yo Tutorial
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Exclamation Crochet Yo-Yo Tutorial

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Yo-Yo-Crochet-Wendy-Harbaugh/dp/1596353147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279762734&sr=8-1-catcorr"]Amazon.com: Learn to Yo-Yo Crochet (9781596353145): Wendy Harbaugh: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@61mWKTPL0sL[/ame]

I have done this tutorial with different colored yarns in the sequence to make the stitches. I will be referring to each color in the pictures. I have tried to do this taking less pictures. So if you do not understand, please ask. In all pictures I will be referring to, will go from top to bottom.

Yo-Yo Tutorial

The pattern for this may be found at
    http://members.aol.com/crochetalong/yoyoghans.html 

Chain 4, join with a slip stitch to the first chain to form a ring.

Top Yellow - Make a slip knot and chain 4

The black mark is where you will insert your hook to make your slip stitch to close the ring.

To do a slip stitch (sl st) Insert hook where indicated in the pattern. Yarn over and pull through both loops on hook.

Middle Purple - Slip stitch is completed, a ring is formed.

Round 1: Chain 3 to count as the first double crochet (dc),

Bottom White - Chain 3 (this will always count as your first double crochet) The black mark shows you where you will insert your hook into the center of the ring to make your second double crochet.
    Last edited by Gabe; 07-21-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Round 1 continued 11 Double Crochet (dc) into ring.

Top Yellow - Yarn over (yo) and insert your hook into the center of the ring. Yarn over and pull up through. (3 loops on hook)

Middle Purple - Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. (2 loops remain on hook)

Bottom White - Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. Double crochet completed. (1 loop on hook)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In this next picture I have done all 11 double crochets into the ring. I have marked every other stitch so you can see how to count them. The first one starts on the left at the arrow and is the top of the beginning chain 3 that counts as your first double crochet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This next part isn’t written into the pattern.

Slip stitch to the top of the beginning chain 3, fasten off.

Top White - I have marked where you will insert your hook to do the slip stitch. I have also marked the bottom of the chain 3 so you can see where it starts.

Bottom Purple - Slip stitch complete, chain 1, cut your yarn leaving a 5” tail and pull through the loop. Snug it up so it won’t come undone.

Weave in both ends (the starting tail end in the center of the yo-yo and the ending tail)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Next I am going to show you how to do the ‘flower petals’ or little loops (call them whatever you want) that go around each yo-yo. I am not going to show you how to attach them to each other, as I think the lady did a very good job of showing this. You can find the Flat Braid Joining here and the Net Stitch Joining here. If you need any help with either of these, just ask.

Join main color with a single crochet (sc) in any double crochet (dc), chain (ch) 3, (single crochet in the next double crochet, chain 3) 11 times.

Top White - Make a slip knot and place on your hook. Insert hook (under both loops of the stitch) in any double crochet. I would go over a couple of double crochets away from where you just ended making the yo-yo to stagger the knots,

Middle Yellow - Yarn over (yo) and pull through. (2 loops on hook)

Bottom White - Yarn over (yo) and pull through both loops on hook. Single crochet completed. (1 loop on hook)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Top White - Chain (ch) 3.

Middle Yellow - Insert hook into the next stitch (remember to go under both loops of the stitch) Yarn over (yo) and pull through. (2 loops on the hook)

Bottom White - Yarn over (yo) and pull through both loops on the hook. Single crochet completed. (1 loop on the hook)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do those last 3 steps all around the yo-yo. You should have 11 chain 3 loops completed and a chain 3 now on your hook, which takes us to the next picture.

Join with a slip stitch (sl st) to the first single crochet (sc). Fasten off.

Top White - I have marked in black where you will insert your hook into the top of the single crochet to join with a slip stitch (sl st). The arrow is also pointing to it.

Bottom Yellow - Slip stitch (sl st) completed. Chain 1, cut your yarn leaving a 5” tail, pull through the loop and snug up.