Help with roast.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Help with roast.

I have an almost 4 lb. sirloin tip roast I want to cook in my crockpot on friday. I'm going to cook some carrots with it and make mashed potatoes on the side. Once the roast is cooked how do I thicken the juice for gravy? I'd like to make a nice thick gravy for the potatoes. Company is coming and I'd like this to be a really good meal. Anyone that knows how to make killer beef gravy please help me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I do a roast in the crockpot and want to make gravy...I always add some beef boullion to the crockpot. It adds alot of flavor when it is time to make the gravy. Once you take the meat out, I usually pour the juice into a small saucepan and add my thickener (usually flour mixed with a little cold water - shaken well) to the saucepan. I put it on the stove on medium heat, stirring often.

Everyone always seems to love my gravy and I think the boullion helps alot! Good luck and let us know how it goes tonight!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I put extra vegetables in, cut up an onion into small pieces, shred a carrot or two on the grater, an entire stalk of celery, cut up some mushrooms, whatever you have. I use tomato sauce or puree with my roast for extra flavor, too.

When it is done, remove the roast and the vegetables you plan to serve, leaving some of the extra veggies. Take the extra veg and some of the cooking liquid and puree it. Add more cooking liquid to get the consistency you want. You will have the BEST gravy ever! No lumps, no floury pasty taste. And it's healthy because it's all vegetables!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the idea of pureeing the veggies! That sounds good and healthy! I normally just pour the drippings into a sauce pan, add some water and either flour or cornstarch (I believe it is 2 tbs of flour or 1 tbs of cornstarch for every cup of liquid) then boil it up until it is as thick as you like, stirring constantly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use onion soup mix in with the roast. As the roast is resting, I reduce (just a little)the cooking liquid on the stove top. Mix 2 tsp of corn starch with 2 tsp of water. Mix that in with the liquid. The gravy will thicken up pretty quick so make sure it is not over heat when you mix in the cornstarch slurry(water mix).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also put the drippings into a saucepan, add flour and any needed seasonings like salt and pepper and boil it until it is the consistency that I want. I love the idea for pureeing the veggies. I have never thought of that before!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use either the cornstarch or mix some butter/margarine and flour into a paste and then add to the liquid to thicken

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did my roast last night and to make gravy I put liquid in sauce pan, added corn starch. Boy oh boy was that good! Thanks all for suggestins and help. Think I'll try the extra veggies next time and puree them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i am going to puree some veggies next time. sounds yummy. great tip