YUMMY! Overnight Crock Pot Oatmeal
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up YUMMY! Overnight Crock Pot Oatmeal

Steel-cut Oatmeal with Raisins (1.5qt-3qt crock pot)

-3/4 cup steel-cut oats

-1/4 cup raisin (or dried cherries, dried blueberries, dried cranberries or dried craisins- sweetened dried cranberries)

-zest of one orange or tangerine

-pinch of mace

-3 cups water

1) Combine the oats, dried fruit, zest, mace and water in CP. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours (or HIGH for 3-4 hours), until thick and creamy.

Variations> Use the measurements in the above recipe for the steel-cut oats & water portion of the variation recipes.

Cinnamon-Apple Oatmeal

1) Combine oats, ½ tsp apple spice (or use ground cinnamon with a pinch of cloves, nutmeg & allspice), pinch of salt, water and 4 rings of dried apple (chopped) in the slow cooker.

2) Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours (or HIGH for 3-4 hours), until thick and creamy.

3) Stir well, add 1.5 T butter and 2 T brown sugar and scoop into bowls.

Creamy Oatmeal with Lots of Dried Fruit

1) Combine oats, water, ½ cup of half & half (or evaporated milk, creamy soy milk), ¼ cup each chopped dried pears & chopped apricots, 2 T currants in the clow cooker.

2) Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours (or HIGH for 3-4 hours), until thick and creamy.

3) Stir well and scoop into bowls adding additional milk or cream if desired.

TIP> Always spray your crock pot with cooking spray to avoid sticking and to make cleanup easier!

Registered User Gotonenerveleft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks.....looks great....will have to try it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have yet to try the steel cut oatmeal but mentioned this in another thread here somewhere but I use a rice cooker.

I just toss 1c reg dry oats with 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 (depending on how you like your oatmeal) into the rice cooker, give'er a swish, plop lid on and press cook once w/o peeking. I cook it plain so everyone can tailor it to their tastes with their own creations/add in's etc after w/o forcing one another to eat it 'one way' only. Its turned out wonderfully each time. Our rice cooker insert has a teflon (?) type coating on it so nothing sticks. If it does...I let it sit with hot water and everything comes clean with ease.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for posting this. I have some steel cut oatmeal that I keep forgetting to prep so that it's ready to eat in the morning. I will print this out and do it tonight. Looks good! And, bonus, someone brought some nice dried pears in to work, so I will snip some of those and use them.

Kara

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the yummy recipes. I've never done oatmeal in the CP before.

Libby, never tried it in the rice cooker either. I've done frozen veggies though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought I'd add in a different way to cook the overnight oatmeal that I use...

Instead of placing everything directly into the slow cooker, I place my ingredients into a sturdy glass bowl, place the bowl inside the slow cooker & then fill my slow cooker with water up to the level of where my ingredients are inside my bowl.
    Be careful pouring it in so that you don't accidently pour it inside the bowl itself.

This helps to give the oats more of a 'steam bath' and they won't have that crusty, crunchy edge & top that sometimes they get from cooking directly in the slow cooker.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...