Slow cooker inserts?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Slow cooker inserts?

~I'm wondering if there are any inserts or accessories that can be used in a crock-pot besides cooking bags and the baking insert? I have the baking insert and it works great!
    I'm specifically interested in reusable replacements for aluminum foil balls and strips for lifting roasts and loaves. Does anyone know of any products like that?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nuisance - I use this in my crockpot to keep food elevated from the insert and to let juice/fat drip off. (ie crockpot roasted chicken)

Traditionally its used in a pot (wok) on the stove with boiling water to steam dishes of food. It can be found in a Chinese/Asian grocery store in the houswares dept but can sometimes be hard to find. If possible, take the pic with you to show the store owner?

Would washed out soup cans inserted upside down (with or w/o holes punched in them) work for your need?

ETA: I just reread your post again - did you mean lift as in keep raised? (see above) or lift as in easy removal from the crockpot? If its the latter, would a (silicone) turkey lifter work? Similar to these: this OR this

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no idea but I am interested in the responses to this!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Great ideas Libby, thank you! I'm trying to find the wok steamer inserts on google but they're all flat. :/
    I always use aluminum foil balls for my whole chicken in the crockpot and it's such a waste. I tried my beer can chicken gadget but my crock isn't big enough to stand the chicken up as you would on a smoker or grill.
    I had not seen a completely flexible silicone lifter before. My crock is a circle not an oval and all the rigid racks seem to be ovals. Cool!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about small ramikins or plate turned upside down on the bottom of crockpot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my ovel one came with a rack that you can lift by long handles..I have not seen them in round...I do have one for the pressure cooker that fits in one of mine..that is round..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I've tried the ramekins and plates. That just seems to create a seal on the bottom of the crock with a bubble of air inside which raises the liquid level around the dish. Then the liquid ends up touching the chicken.
    I'm going to look really hard for a round metal rack on my next thrift shop visit. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~Great ideas Libby, thank you! I'm trying to find the wok steamer inserts on google but they're all flat. :/
    I always use aluminum foil balls for my whole chicken in the crockpot and it's such a waste. I tried my beer can chicken gadget but my crock isn't big enough to stand the chicken up as you would on a smoker or grill.
    I had not seen a completely flexible silicone lifter before. My crock is a circle not an oval and all the rigid racks seem to be ovals. Cool!~
    Hmm...the only thing that I could think to be similar - take 3-4 soup/tuna cans and cut both opens so you're left with 'rings' that are as tall as the cans...place bird on top? I guess this would be the equivalent of hm poached egg rings/round cookie cutters?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use an aluminum trivet I got for a quarter. It's about a half inch high. Is that what you mean? You can't lift stuff out with it though.

I've picked up various forms of wire trivets in many sizes over the years. I use them in my cast iron camp ovens. I've also picked up some with legs a couple inches high to use as legs under the DOs that don't have legs. Stuff is out there, so keep looking. It may take a while to find just what you want but if you start thinking outside the box, sometimes ideas come to you when you see something that's not necessarily meant for that purpose.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To keep your chicken off the bottom of the crockpot, use several canning jar rings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you use a soda can for the chicken like you can do on the grill? Set the chicken over the can through the large opening in the bird? Hmmm, now I want to try it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used even-thickness chunks of potato to keep the chicken off the bottom.