Robin (or anybody) crock pot question?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Robin (or anybody) crock pot question?

What is a crock pot? ROFL.

In defence of British people this is probably not lanuage barrier but Beverley doesn't/can't cook anything kind of problem LOL.

I'm guessing from FlyLady talking about them 24/7 that it's like my Mum's slow cooker - a casserole dish that plugs in, instead of it going in the oven???? Although I've never been interested enough to pay much attention

So IF I'm right, the next question would be - My mum's is quite tiny (and I've never seen one bigger) and I have 4 adults and 3 children living at home - is that going to be big enough to feed us all?

Also (I KNOW I'm dumb - don't ROFL ) If you have them on all day (mum does) doesn't that use LOADS of electricity??? And what's the difference between that and a casserole.

I should shut up actually until I've found out what a crock pot is exactly LOL.

This is all going to be the hardest thing for me I haven't cooked in years, I don't like doing it, I don't like food shopping, I can't cook toast without getting in trouble AND I'm on a strict budget!!!!!

Oh boy I'm gonna have to learn FAST!

I really AM menu planner stupid - DH has always cooked around here - I've been spoiled, I'm not looking forward to this AT ALL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes Bev, a crockpot and slow cooker are the same things. I dont think the electricity could be hardly anything at all. Especially when you copmpare the cost of the energy that it would take to do the same job on top of the stove.

It is a priceless tool and without much effort at all.

They come in many sizes, here in the states you can get a big one, enough to feed my family of four with two bottomless pits of teenage boys.

The only work involved is some prep to get things going. If you are going to cook something, put the meat or beans on in at least 1./2 full of broth or water then add some onions, celery or whatever you Brittys love with your meat. Dried onion soup is a great flavoring. Chickens, cheap roasts, cheap steak cuts, even ground meat with sauces can cook in these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is a slow cooker.

I have a 5.5 quart. It is big enough for 5 of us. I used to have a 4 quart that wasn't quite big enough for 5. CJ posted a site where you can look up slow cooker/crockpot recipes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bev,
    A crockpot is a slow cooker. Here in the states we can get them in larger sizes.

Here's a link for you to Amazon.com UK
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=kitchen-uk&field-keywords=slow%20cookers&bq=1/ref=sr_aps_all/026-4251977-0250846"]Amazon.co.uk: slow cookers - Kitchen & Home[/ame]

You might get lucky and find one at a boot sale or thrift store. I have 2 of them. One is a medium sized one and the other is huge. They use very little energy compared to the stovetop or oven and they can make the most tough cuts of meat tender!

I'd suggest going to your library and checking out cookbooks on slowcookers or doing a search online.

Good luck Bev! I know you can do this!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh Wow I'm glad I bought that up!

My mum is here for new years eve (I didn't think to ask HER before my friends LOL)

Anyway I just said to her 'If you leave your slow cooker on all day doesn't that cost loads?' (apparently it's about the same as a light bulb - so that's good)

So, back to the subject lol - she say's 'oh I don't use one anymore since Dad died, my small one is broken and the 'other' one is massive'

Guess who just inherited a crock pot then?

Now I have to learn how to use one LOL.

What a result! - I think? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have one that is over 5 qts (unsure if it's 6 or 7 qt) and is a bit too large for our little family. Mine is an oval similar to the posted above. I'm using mine today and love it.

I'm going to go back to a tall one rather than a long and low one next time. I have found my taller one heated better than this one. I wanted the removeable crock inside, but I think the entire crockpot heats differently and won't do that again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No one will ever go wrong with using a crockpot. I've had one for years and years and would never be without one.

Mine is a 6 qt. and the crock comes out. I find it much easier to clean and I don't have a problem with it heating properly. I cook almost everything I can think of in one. I actually plan on getting another one.

Bev, they save so much energy its amazing. Put a roast in their, a bit of water and some onion soup mix and leave it for the day. By supper you have such tender meat. The really neat thing about crockpots is that you can buy the cheaper cuts of meat and they come out tender because they cook slowly.

Have fun with your new crockpot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CJ,
    Michelle once mentioned maybe I needed to have it completely full for it to heat the way I expected it to. This could very well be true because I never completely fill it because it's so large. Do you fill yours? Might be my problem with it.

I do love that I can remove the crock and wash it or even use it to store in the fridge. I just wish it heated faster than my other. It might just be the fact that it's larger that it takes longer too.

I need more than 5 hours whenever I cook anything. In my little one 5 hours would cook anything the way I wanted it.

In defense of the larger one, I do love that I can fit larger roasts etc in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not wanting to seem as if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs LOL, as I honestly can't make toast without burning it or having it like warm bread LOL but Mum said you have to put stuff in it warm like gravy etc.

Is that helpful or shall I bury my head again LOL.

And while I'm talking rubbish - I saw C.J. talking to someone on another post about baking bread, I also have a bread maker I've never personally used LOL - but I can buy a loaf of bread here for 19p economy (shops own make) I could never make it for under £1 Not that I WANT to be making ANYTHING that's uneccessary anyway ROFL.

I wonder if Jan 05 I'll be master kitchen chef who loves cooking - Naaa that's probably REALLY pushing my luck LOLOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can make so much. You could do a search for crockpot recipes just here on the forums and come up with tons. I make my roasts in it, chicken meals, sauce, chili, soups, chicken and dumplings, etc. I love it year round too. It's great to start something in the morning and not think about it all day too.

I'm on a mission to use mine more to cut down on our utility bill, so will be trying some recipes and will post my results.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bev: I LOVE crockpot cooking because it is practically a no-fail way to cook. You can put in any kind of meat with a little liquid and have a decent meal.

I put things in warm, cold, or even frozen (like chicken pieces straight from the freezer) and haven't ever had a problem.

Here's two easy suppers to get you started:

Ham-- put in a 5lb ham and fill crockpot with root beer. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until warm.

Roast- put a 4-5lb roast in crockpot, add one bottle of beer & one envelope onion soup mix. Cook on low all day (6-8 hours). Serve on rolls with onions and peppers, using the juice as a dip ("au jous").

Have fun with your new crockpots!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sara, you might need to get a new one. The burner element might not be working right. I can cook just a chicken in mine and it only takes a couple of hours. I put mine in the porch during the summer and that way it never heats up the house and I cook chicken in it often.

Mine will actually bring chili to a rolling boil or soup when I fill it right up.

I have a Hamilton Beach and have never had the problem your having with yours Sara.

Bev, I always put cold things in mine, even frozen roasts. It just heats it slower, but it cooks it very well. I seldom thaw my roasts when I cook them. Reason - I often forget to take it out of the freezer!! When I make chili, everything that goes into it is cold, same with soup, stew. I have to say here, it has to be a good one and one that the burner is working right. I picked up an older style model at a yard sale and it didn't cook worth a beans. I gave it away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations Bev on "inheriting" your crockpot! You will love it!!! I use both of mine frequently. They have the removable inner crock and it does make for much easier cleaning. I got rid of my 3rd one that didn't have the removable inside pot. Here's a tip to speed u the cooking a bit. You can put the removable inner pot with all the ingredients in it in your microwave to get things heated up to begin with. I do this all the time and it really does help cut down ont he total cooking time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't even know you could cook things from frozen! I thought that killed you - ok stop laughing

And while I'm fessing up - how long have I been a member? I didn't know I could search for things either LOL!!!!

I could still starve to death - spending all day here now reading searched for posts LOL

This 'might' be fun - I'm trying to be positive about the whole kitchen thing coming up too fast for my liking

Thanks for all your input - I'm honestly gonna be USELESS at this without LOTS of help

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bev, you can cook almost anything frozen. You just have to make sure its cooked before you eat it.

The search button it up at the top of the page. Type in crockpot and see what comes up. You'll be surprised. There is one that has lots of crockpot recipes. I know you can find it.

You might also want to do a search for crockpot recipes on the net in the UK. I know some of your measurements are different than ours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast