Pot roast for tomorrow Help please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pot roast for tomorrow Help please

Ok tomorrow it is pot roast. i got about a 3 lb roast, and i got potatoes and just bought me some carrots. i got onions. and a little garlic. what spices or other ingredients that i might have on hand would spice it up for me. Oh yeah and i got the crock pot ready Remember please. low salt/no salt, i will eat til my tummy hurts then freeze up whatever is left..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I take like 1/4 cup vinegar and about 2tablespoons of good mustard and mix together and pour over my roast. Something my mom always did, and always tastes YUMMY!!! Specially the juice with the veggies... The juice is not vinegary(is that even a word) at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Use low salt ingredients Denny & pace yourself. http://home1.gte.net/vaughnharsh/OAMC/potroast.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You may not have bay leaves on hand -- but I always put one under the roast. My mother always did it that way and it gives it a good flavor. I don't know if you know that you can get lemon pepper that doesn't have salt in it. You have to label read because most do -- they use the salt as the carrier for the lemon flavor. Mrs. Dash used to have a lemon pepper, but they also had other flavors in it. What I use right now is Kitchen Collection brand I get it at the outlet mall. I use it in everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default lemon pepper

I will have to look for the no salt lemon pepper. I have been told to stay away from that spice so didnt know there was a nosalt. woohoo thanks. I do have bayleaves in my spice rack... got a big rack of spices for christma. actually got two of them , one hasnt been opened yet. My kids know i like to cook somewhat....
    I appreciate the link. I see other than the soup mix i basically have everything i need.
    VINEGAR> i have apple cider vinegar. Is that the kind i could use or would that kind not be so good.

Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have all the ingredients necessary for a tasty pot roast. Enjoy!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always add a 1/4th to a 1/2 a can of beer to my roast (and most of my other meats too) and marjoram and dark brown mustard. Just yummy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First I sear my roast in a really hot pan on the stove. Put some carrots and potatoes in the bottom of the crock and place the roast on top. Then deglaze the pan with broth or white wine. Toss some onions in and a squirt of dijon mustard, reduce the liquid a bit and then pour it on top of the roast in the crock. Oh, before I sear the meat I season it up with whatever I have on hand. Today it happened to be herbs de provence, which is a mixture all all sorts of herbs. Sometimes I will just use pepper and garlic powder, sometimes I use montreal steak seasonings. I try to mix it up a bit each time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We like our roast with just a little pepper on it. That, plus the veggies that cook with it in the crockpot, give it a great flavor. And the house smells so gooooooood........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gentledenny View Post
    VINEGAR> i have apple cider vinegar. Is that the kind i could use or would that kind not be so good.
    I have used it before, when out of white vinegar, still YUMMY!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The house smells like onions

well i am sorry, i was late on reading the browning and putting it on a bed of taters. oh well, i just threw it in there, then cut up bunches of taters and carrots and onions and garlic then i poured in some mrs dash orginal blend, marjonin, thyme, bay leaves and pepper. and a cup of water to wash the seasoning down into it a bit. It might not be the best but i bet it will bbe just fine. thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use some low sodium soy sauce on mine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I do my meat (chicken, beef or pork), I clean out my frig of any less than fresh veggies.... you know, the kind of shriveled up and slightly squishy ones. I used celery (include the leaves -- they give wonderful flavor), or green/red peppers, tomatoes (roma, cherry, whatever). I just cut out the bad spots and cup up the rest and throw it in the crockpot. I think the best thing you can use is fresh garlic and onion..... and lots of it!!! Of course you have to include the carrots, but this time of year there's lots of other veggies to use like rutabaga, winter squash (butternut, acorn). You can even add cabbage during the last hour or so of cooking.

Darn it all.... now I'm hungry for roast and won't be able to have it till at least tomorrow. Ugh!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So Denny, How was that roast?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default the roast good but dry

the roast was very dry. but for the first time i listened about the juices in the bottom. I threw some flour in there , turned it up and let it cook for about 30 minutes and with the juice it overshadowed the dryness and made it awesome. Plus i filled 5 of them plastic containers you see on tv. the swivel rack you just turn and holds 3 different sized of plastic containers and the lids. Well i got 5 of them big ones full of pot roast. woohooo. Oh yeah. the pot roast i noticed it was dated oct 16th. a little aged. the sad thing is i have another one in the freezer to use still with the same date. next time i will brown it first. maybe that was problem with dryness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast