Living on beans and rice
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Living on beans and rice

I have never cut my eating budget since I am a muscular 240 pound 6'3" guy and I need to get all of my nutrients otherwise I would crave more food and spend even more than I would have. Plus the food budget is not even a problem... I can see if you have a large family who goes out to restaurants ordering steak and lobster every night... the food budget is not worth the sacrifice. I managed to stay debt free and still eat at every restaurant you can think of. I am sure the savings would probably put me a few extra months ahead but I rather be satisfied and full of energy. Speaking of food I may go out and eat something now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just a couple of thoughts. The term beans and rice isnt really a diet suggestion, more of a way of living. Down grade to an old beater instead of leasing or buying a new car every few years. Shop at thrift stores instead purchasing new clothes from the mall. Rent a movie from Redbox instead of going out to the theater. Thats what is implied with the term.

However, there are plenty of families that need ro reconsider their food budget, and not just people eating steak and lobster every day. Cutting out the high cost of convenience foods and focusing on purchasing quality whole foods that require some preparation can save an average sized family a good deal of money. Living frugally doesnt mean that you walk around hungry after each meal. Plenty of frugal meals out there to leave you feeling satisfied.
    Last edited by tmffv; 07-08-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Oops

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beans and rice isn't sacrificing for us. We either eat beans and rice or beans and cornbread every single day of our lives. Usually twice a day. In fact, if we are visiting family and don't have beans for a couple of days, we start suffering withdrawals and can't wait to get home and eat some! It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

I remember one fall, DH and his brother were working in TN and we were staying in a motel. We had to eat out every meal. I thought I would starve to death and couldn't wait to get home and make some of my good beans and cornbread. DH felt the same way. We didn't eat the restaurant beans because we don't eat meat and they all had ham in them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I couldn't imagine buying steak and lobster at a restaurant. Those are horribly overpriced and I can cook them better at home. But we don't buy either unless its a special occasion because its still too pricey for me. On my birthday we will get a huge feed of lobster and pig out. *drool*

We eat steak every 2 months or so.

We don't eat beans. Never liked them and no one else in the family does either. We eat rice once or twice a week.

I took rice and beans as the metaphor on how to live your frugal life. I might not eat beans, but I eat whatever else I find at a cheap price and stretch my food to the fullest. But no...I don't eat beans.

But I do have to rework my food budget. I've reworked some plans for the rest of the year and I want to stretch our money. So food budget is getting cut!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband used to travel for business constantly and, being a busy mom at home meant I indulged in eating out quite frequently, too. Not only does eating out frequently put a strain on your budget, but I can attest that it is awful for your health. My husband's cholesterol DROPPED from over 400 to 120 because he started to eat at home.

Besides, Dave says the "gazelle intensity" of "rice and beans" is for when you're paying off debt - a step you are beyond.

Eat out if you want. We all are responsible for our own decisions and even Dave isn't going to force you to do something you want to do. Your post does nothing to counter Dave's argument that curbing spending in every area is the best way to get on the road to financial responsibility.

Besides, there are professional football players out there who are bigger than you and are also vegetarians. Again, you have no basis for "needing" restaurant steak and lobster. Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the thought process of rice and beans as a way of living. I also re-evaluated my food budget, not in the terms of cutting back but in the terms of realizing what I was spending money on.

Ie: Family of 4. If we go to McDonald's and each get a meal with a soda, the kids a happy meal, yadda yadda i'm looking at about $20 bucks for a dinner of 4. I can go to the store, get lobster tail for 9.99/lb, and have lobster with potatoes and garden veggies for about the same price. And i'm passing this up, why?

Yeah. Makes ya think. I can have a great steak dinner easily under $20 for my family of four when I buy steak on sale, why would I instead eat junk from the fast food place? And resturants are good and fun, but it's expensive.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    Beans and rice isn't sacrificing for us. We either eat beans and rice or beans and cornbread every single day of our lives. Usually twice a day. In fact, if we are visiting family and don't have beans for a couple of days, we start suffering withdrawals and can't wait to get home and eat some! It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

I remember one fall, DH and his brother were working in TN and we were staying in a motel. We had to eat out every meal. I thought I would starve to death and couldn't wait to get home and make some of my good beans and cornbread. DH felt the same way. We didn't eat the restaurant beans because we don't eat meat and they all had ham in them.
    I would love to know how you make your beans tasty without meat.....I don't eat meat either and mine are kind of bland. I love good beans and cornbread!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TamiDN, I don't soak them. I think that takes the good flavor out of them. I cook them two ways but prefer the crockpot method. I clean and wash them, put them in the crockpot with cool water and cook on low all night. I add salt after they're soft, the next morning and cook for another hour or so them put on "keep warm" until lunchtime. They're a rich dark brown (the pintos, that is!) and full of flavor.

I also cook them in a pressure cooker. I put 4 cups of dried beans in the pot and add water to the fill mark and cook for one hour. Then I cool down, open the pot, add water to the fill mark again and salt, cook under pressure for about 15 minutes again.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    TamiDN, I don't soak them. I think that takes the good flavor out of them. I cook them two ways but prefer the crockpot method. I clean and wash them, put them in the crockpot with cool water and cook on low all night. I add salt after they're soft, the next morning and cook for another hour or so them put on "keep warm" until lunchtime. They're a rich dark brown (the pintos, that is!) and full of flavor.

I also cook them in a pressure cooker. I put 4 cups of dried beans in the pot and add water to the fill mark and cook for one hour. Then I cool down, open the pot, add water to the fill mark again and salt, cook under pressure for about 15 minutes again.
    Thank-you!

I didn't mean to hijack the thread.........I had no constructive comments to add to what was already said......for me beans is not a sacrifice at all either.......everyone makes their own choices as to what is important to them.