Is it ok to take a vacation...?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is it ok to take a vacation...?

Our current plan will have our first commitment paid off by January. We would like to take a vacation in February. We will still owe probably about $10000 to Commitment 2. We will be paying it back on schedule to pay it back by Oct/Nov 2014. We will by February have about $5000 in our savings EF (BS1&3).

So at that time, without any unforeseen issue, we will have $5K savings and $10K debt. We would like to take a vacation for about $500, taking it out of February's savings payment. (So instead of putting $1000 to savings we would put $500 and use the other $500 for vacation). I would also work hard between now and then to make extra income so I can afford to take the time off work as I'm self employed.

For the backstory there are more posts I've made here, but to make it short, the first commitment almost paid off was a charity pledge we had made that was our priority not to backtrack on after our circumstances changed. We are building the FFEF and repaying debt at the same time because the debt is to my father and we have to save at the same time to shield from having to borrow again, and he requested that we do it that way. We borrowed 15K when we had to drain our FFEF *and* spend that much more before we could pick it back up, all for circumstances completely out of our control.

Due to my high risk pregnancy and then having DS around, we haven't been able to take a vacation of any kind in what will be more than 2 years by February. We both work out of the home and the only way to truly "get away from work" is to disconnect by going somewhere without access to work - so we're not as much looking for that luxury vacation as we are a low tech getaway.

So, I'm looking for other's insights - we really want to do this but at the same time, don't want to be hurting ourselves in the long run. But, burning out by not taking vacation also lowers the total income because when I'm burned out I have a really hard time making money and having the motivation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really only you can answer that. It depends on your priority. We did take a cash vacation during debt pay off. For us it was knew exactly how much longer debt payoff would take doing it. For us it was worth it but for others it might not be.

Maybe you can keep working hard on your plan and reevaluate where you are closer to February??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see nothing wrong in taking a vacation as long as you are on track.....you have to refresh the body and most times, you will come back ready to tackle anything.....I say go for it!!! Have fun!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We did. We took short cash-only sanity breaks when we could afford to do so without failing to pay on any of our other bills.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You have to have something to look forward to. A holiday can be something exciting to work towards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would do it. Keep to a budget and enjoy yourself.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say go for it! Keep it low cost, pay cash and enjoy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really? You haven't taken a vacation for two years?!?! Wow, you must be worn out.

Yeah, due to circumstances beyond our control, we haven't had a vacation since 2009.

If you want a "low tech get away" there is a little thing called "an off switch".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We took one years ago during debt payoff. It was planned, it was in cash, and we knew it would push our debt-free date back a bit. And that was okay with us.

Only you can answer if it's right for you guys. I see nothing wrong with a planned vacation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree it's really your call. You know your circumstances best, and also how badly you need a break.

$500 really isn't that much money, and it sounds like you're covering your bills and sticking to your budget. I'd say go for it! It's not like you're planning a $50,000 global cruise and flinging your financial responsibilties to the wind.

Have a great time! Then come back with smiles on your faces and get back to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's fine as long as you budget/plan for it! We have taken a low budget vacation the last 2 years! We almost always keep a vacation envelope in our budget. We usually budget $5-$25 weekly. Plan for it and enjoy!!