12/16/16 Debt reduction -savings thread - Page 13
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well in our case, we have windows leaking when it rains, getting mold growing on the sills, and we can feel the drafts when we are near the windows. The house is 16 years old and they were fairly cheap builder's model windows in the first place. It's definitely time.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

went and paid the utilities incl garbage thru the end of the year (on budget plans),wrote a check for his life ins. too,got all the cats vetted and the dog just needs a HW test,all the CC's paid off,Got 6 mo. put away emergencies (upcoming unemployment??),did a lot of repairs to the van incl new tires,still over stocked for winter foods. Paid the season balance for lawn services

Need to fix a spring and strut on the van
    oil changes for both vehicles
    finish stocking in pet food,salt,litter
    car ins for Nov-May (set aside)

hopeing to take the old van thru winter but looking at Honda Odyssey or Town and Country for a new one. ??
    Still holding debt free scraping along w/ unemployment looming again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just paid a chunk on the Ohio House - $5,747.99.
    Next month I should finally be below $30,000.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Livin Large View Post
    Just paid a chunk on the Ohio House - $5,747.99.
    Next month I should finally be below $30,000.
    Isn't it awesome to pass those $X0,000 numbers? I find passing them to be very motivational.

I have added some debt, with 0% interest (new couch, shower renovation), which I hope to pay off over the next few months.

For the debt I am tracking, I have sent off several payments. I have paid down $18,580.80 so far this year. I think I'll hit my goal of $25,000 paid down by the end of the year.

I feel like I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I plan to pay off all the debt except our mortgage next year. In the last two years, I've paid off 2/3 of it, so that's doable I think.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You ladies are all impressive. I just paid my basic cell phone and Dh's life ins. thru Dec. We are still struggling w/ the van. Got new tires,fixed a tie rod,and 2 brakes lines. Come to find I need a spring and prob. at least 1 strut. I am looking for a newer used vehicle like another van to haul the dogs nad such.
    DH has been traveling 60% and its wearing on us. The bills are cheaper running 1 car,feeding just me and sometimes DD. They are going between canceling his project and running it out thru June?? So I still live a bit close to the vest regarding money.
    I have managed to get all the animals vaccinated and HW tested. Have some food and always thinking about more. Good on HW pills.
    winterizing-need a new furnace filter but already changed the water
    Lawn-went to a service this year and i am so pleased. 1-2 mows left.
    Got Halloween settled today
    I am cautiously opimistic about things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW2- In a pinch you can vacuum the furnace filter and get some extra use out of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

paid off 2 of DH's medical bills, and just 2 payments left on the heat pump for it to be paid in full. DH's Roth is on schedule to be maxed out before the end of the year. All in all, things going OK here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aunt Bee-we have a fancy set up w/ a $30 or more filter. Its this weird accordian style deal and I think it wouldn't work. but thanks. We do vaccumn the unit and havent had a guy in for years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What do you guys think Dave Ramsey would say with the idea of using a HELOC to pay for your mortgage?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well,skirted disaster. Furnace broke down while Dh was out of town for 3 weeks. I went 3 days w/o just using space heaters. Well worth it. It was just a belt for $10. He vaccumned it out and changed the filter for $42. So $52 sure beat a service call.
    Got $10,000 cash saved for the new/used van. I think i want the Town and Country. I have decided to fix the broken spring assembly tomorrow and drag this out thru winter. I really want to pay cash for the new vehicle w. Dh's iffy contract work.

Aiscott01-what are the advantages? disadvantages. Make a list. How faar into the mortgage are you,what the mortgage rate? could you refinance for a lesser rate? Would it be better to invest than fast pay a mortgage? What are the HELOC rates?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

got the roth fully funded for this year. now on to extra in savings accts. still on schedule to pay off a loan early. things going ok. had a call in to get heat looked at. furnace did not come on when we turned it on for the season. power outages when it flickers on and off caused it to seize up. they had to reset it. so now let there be heat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far in 2016 I have paid off $20,458.61. My goal is to pay off $25K, so will put some extra payments in this month if possible.

My plan is to have all debt on record today (except for home mortgage) paid off by the end of 2017. I feel good about being able to do it. We'll see.

Let's finish the year strong, folks!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This was a rocky year. I saved about $40,000 and stayed out of debt even through a furnace breakdown and Dh'd surgery. Still havent replaced the furnace or bought a vehicle. DD moved out recently and that should save money. Got the tax bill for winter yesterday and will drop it in the mail today when I go out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All in all this has been a good year - paid off just short of $27,000 in debt, bought a used truck and used RV - paid cash for both and paid the $11,000 the IRS said I owed when they audited my 2013 taxes....12 months later they are auditing my 2015 taxes....Grrrrrrr..... Oh, I almost forgot that with my December payments my total debt is under $200,000, Emotionally that's a huge milestone.

2017 looks to be a good year! Moving to save $550/month in rent and utilities, will be able to have a big garden, chickens and rabbits for meat and eggs, going to plant fruit trees, blueberries, raspberries, There are wild blackberries I can forage, dh plans getting rid of the turtles in her pond and stocking it with fish, DH will be doing work for his sister and has work at his nieces house too $1,[email protected],000/month extra income for at least the first 6 months.
    Last edited by Livin Large; 12-03-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Paid off the couch/recliner we bought this July that we had financed on a 0% interest loan. Woo hoo!

Paid off the credit card I had paid for my ancestry.com membership on (billed and paid before the statement was even issued). Got a 30% discount on the membership through a special sale they offered.

Paid down $500 against the last credit card we have a balance on - which was used with a 0% interest rate to finance our shower remodel this summer. $3000 left to pay on that one.

I'm definitely hoping to pay some extra this month against our debt. I really do see light at the end of the tunnel and feel great hope for getting all our debt as of today (except mortgage) paid off by end of 2017. Unfortunately we'll also add debt in 2017 as we desperately need to replace our windows. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast