12/16/16 Debt reduction -savings thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For the past year I have been determined in paying off credit cards (10, but whose counting). I am ready to continue paying off the balances and being debt free by March of next year. I also have a hard time with the grocery and fast food budget since my husband and I live in two different cities due to his job. I'm hoping by posting here I'll stay motivated and focused.

December Challenges

Grocery Bill ~ Goal: $750

Fast Food ~ Goal: 4 times

Credit Card Debt: Paid $19,514.64 Balance $5,485.36

Medical Balance: $700

Car ~ Goal: $5,000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Time-welcome. That can be diff. when you are seperate. DH worked in Bermuda for awhile. (3 weeks on,weekend home,back again)
    Excellent job on the CC reduction. The groc. does seem high but that very workable. Isued to do bulk cooking and freezing as part of my solution to that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have two college students that live at home and have different hours and long study sessions away from home. I just started working full-time after 15 years (homeschool mom) so it’s become very difficult to cook every day. I know my budget is high and we always manage to go over dramatically so hopefully with the accountability and a different mindset I can make some changes. Thanks for the encouragement!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to join this. Just had to fix our front loading washing machine. Then took my car in for tire rotation and oil change. I needed all new tires and an alignment. When I went to start our expedition this morning it ran but then shut off and wouldn't start back up. Not sure what is wrong with it yet. Completely cleaned out my bef and probably then some. Going to re figure everything and start over in 2016. Starting with taking out my grocery money in cash again. I think that is a huge savings and a way to keep myself accountable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Time-the idea of bulk cooking is just that. My SIL has 2 teenage boys,works full time. She massive shops 1 time a month and the next day cooks all day for the month a preplaned 30 day supply of meals for 4 people. That day is a mad house of chili and burritos and precooked hamb. etc. My Dbro has instructions for every day of meals. So when she comes home every day they want a meal,they have one. Now that she is working she goes out to eat but not when my Dbro was because he was a newspaper reporter and low income. She has a cube freezer,crock pot and breadmaker that are her big tools. They spent $400. a month. We live in Mi. so its cheaper. I spend $600. on 3 w/ stockpiling. I could cut back easily if i wanted too.
    Everyone has to weigh all things and go w/ that. If it isnt working tweek it more. Its a process that morphs as time goes by.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

J12-Sometimes it rains hard in the budget. Try an anticipate instead of react in your budget. And yes easier said than done. I have a certain amt for car repairs built in esp since we have older cars and now 1 new one for the 1st time in years.
    I have it down to what we do every month. Both cars get oil changes the same month every 3-4 months w/ coupon. All our pets are vaccianted in June -Sept. for cats and dogs have their months. Dental 2x a year each person 1 month off. I allow dental budget the month after because after ins. I will owe a bit. I know we spend $116. a month on meds but any extra goes in my $100. a month medical budget. I know Aug. is my life ins.and the home ins. and that May/Nov. are the 6 mon. car/van ins. bills.
    It took a long time and surprises do happen. I just wanted to let you know you can do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm of course joining this challenge. I think for the first part I will post savings goals and after we get our taxes and allocate it accordingly- we can list our debt goals.

We really need to have some savings goals tho. I will think about them hard and come back to post them.

Welcome to the new people joining!!! hi again to all my friends from the last thread.

T2Budget) FW gave you great advice. Look on Pinterest for crockpot meals and once a month mom for ideas on once a month cooking. That way you make your own grab and go food. You can for sure PM me for ideas- I know all about being busy. I feed a family of 5 on $400 a month, DH and I work full time jobs, we both go to school currently, and our kids are 7,4,8 months (she eats baby food so it's in the budget!!)
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah! to my squirrelly ways!!! I was looking for nail clippers and opened a jewelry box I hadnt been into for some time $260. put there when Dh and I were fighting.lol
    Also $20. in quarters.
    Need to get DD to the bank for her rent.
    Then off to Aldis. Broccoli for soup I have but I want Cauliflower for cheese soup.
    peppers for chili. and many other aast. money extenders. Hate their bread,soup and cereal but caesar salald mix $1.99 delicious.

Time-we do a lot of Casserole,soups,spaghetti,and chili. I also make a whole loaf of french toast at a time,cool it and freeze in the bread sleeve. 2x down in the reg. toaster to eat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lots of great suggestions…I’m definitely going to look into bulk cooking and post how it goes.

Warrior - I really like the idea of making french toast but don't you think its cheaper to buy on sale than making and freezing it? just curious

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Boy it was a busy week. I have the majority of my holiday baking done. Yea, considering two days was making lefse. This will save me a lot of money versus buying treats.

I don't know how much my car repair bill is going to be. I am getting an alignment done on monday for $50 after work will pay for that out right. Will probably have to clean out my savings to cover the tires, oil change on my car and new battery cable on the expedition (glad it was just that). Then time to start a new year.

I will have to look at how much I will designate for bill paying/bef saving. Again I think taking out my grocery, splurge and clothing budget will help a lot.

I have been making lots of freezer meals. This has saved me several times over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Time-ok. You have to go 2 ways w/ this thinking. I shop at Aldis to get the best price regular eggs and also clearance on bread. So when I do it you can bet i got the best ing. at the best price I can.
    Then part 2 is mine is better than store bought anyday. And that if you have stuff in reach at home you can nip restaurant/fast food eating out of the budget. My family would rather be home eating my french toast than go to the restaurant. Or have Aunt Jemima or whoever. No tip/no gas. 1 pan washed once. See how it cascades. More time to do other things.
    I used to make casseroles in the morning before they went to school and cool it outside so I could get it in the fridge so the teens came home to dinner and I came home to NO nagging and whining (at least not about food).

I get a sale loaf of bread from Kroger for $.49-.89. and cartons of eggs maybe $2,50 these days. I use non stick pans so no oil or butter. I do thin the 12 eggs (prob. fewer) w/ a bit of milk 1/2 cup. So I estimate $4. for a loaf. 20 slices in a loaf.10 breakfast for a loaf so .40 per breakfast plus syrup/jelly/butter all of which I get on sale. OK .80 for piggy Dh's. So for me no. But i value the HM more than frozen from a store too. You will find thats what works for me and you have to figure out what works for your family. Things lie this were imperative when I had teens and worked.

Made sloppy joes from clearance 1# frozen baggie of ground beef $3.39/2 and clearance buns .89 and canned sloppy joe mix $1. sale. We have enough for Dh to take to lunch Mon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in! We became debt free except the house last year, but continued to use the cc and pay them in full monthly. Well, usually I put too much on them and ended up borrowing from savings. After paying for all our Christmas using the cc (and paying it off) we now have no savings. We also need to pay for a spring Disney trip. After those things I want to fully fund my sinking funds and start doing several car repairs as well as some family doctor trips.

GOALS:
    Disney: $2400
    Other Disney expenses: $1000
    Savings: $1000
    Car Repairs: $500
    Doctor visits: $500
    Sinking Funds $3000
    increase savings

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Savings goals:

I would like our medical deductible funded-$1500
    I would like new tires on the Nissan $400, and car repair funded $1000
    Start a PTO envelope for hubby so when he has a short week it's not a biggie.

I would also like to start putting money more reliably into our subcategories (kid fun, April, Easter, st Nic, Halloween, date night, hunting, etc) because I'm sick of trying to budget it in that moment. I already have an automatic transfer set up for medical, Xmas and land up north. I need to make some for the others.
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Registered User Back2Basicsforme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a boat load of debt right now. I intend to attack it full force this upcoming year! I need to budget my money more carefully, and account for every penny. I did this a few years back and it really helped. Had a notebook on hand and wrote down what every penny went to! I will get back to it! I have credit cards to pay off, a car, mortgage, those are the biggies, the rest are reoccurring monthly bills.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

B2B-did it since 2009. and have overcome all my debt,paid cash for his car and have a Ef of about 5-6 mo. You can do it. Living month to month isnt living. BTDT changed the way.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast