Work remote option to get out of high rent area?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Work remote option to get out of high rent area?

Hi there, just signed up here, and recently started watching Dave Ramsey videos. Should have years ago, it would have saved us major duhmazzery as we are now 30K in debt, some of it being dragged behind us for years. I'll spare you details as it would be a TL;DR situation. but in a nutshell, we certainly didn't have a realistic idea of our spending habits for a long time for sure.

Current situation is that we live and work in a very expensive area of Southern California, and we've been renting for the past 10 years. Our rent is relatively low for the area, 1700 for a one bedroom older apartment (with a rash of problems in the complex that keep getting worse.)

Hubs is in IT with a salary of 95K, and I used to work as a waitress until too many times to the Physical Therapist from head to toe under workers comp, and while I'd like to go back to restaurant work but my body won't let me. Recently took up Ubering, and my hubby signed up as well.

For now, we recently paid off the second car and per Dave's suggestion, starting to build an emergency fund, (so we don't put the "unexpecteds" on a card) and Hubs put a stop to paying into his 401K. We're living much more frugally than we used to. (ha ha... actually can't believe the unnecessary spending going on when I worked. I've become a very good cook now!)

So now we're looking at the option of moving to a lower cost of living area. Most of the staff in my husband's office are working remote now and one even moved to Georgia, and we're thinking of doing something similar, just very nervous about the idea.

So I ask the wisdom of the group... would you jump on the opportunity of moving to a lower cost of living if you could retain your current job and work remotely? Btw, my husband loves his job, has been there for a long while and is very much appreciated. They hate when he goes on vacation, lol! Also, hubs and I get along great so no problems getting along.

I'm just wondering if my "comfort zone" is what's holding my back. Born and raised in So. Cal, grew up poor... maybe I'm just used to it. Hubby's game, he could live anywhere and be fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally for me, yes I would. My financial security is worth more than where I live. Just my two cents!
    (although I don't live in beautiful California)
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You make $95K and you spend $20,400 on shelter. That's about 21%,that's very good for So CA, many people are paying 30% or more. I doubt that you'll find significantly cheaper rent elsewhere - you might go into a small town in the middle of farm country and find a place for $800/m - so you would save about $11,000/yr - but I would guess that your problems lie with spending the other $75,000 of your income. Eg, you mentioned the second car - why do you have 2 cars? Cars cost about $15,000 per yr, gas, depreciation, insurance, tires, maintenance. If you get rid of a car, that saves $15,000 (more than you would save by moving).
    As for quitting the 401k - I would restart that right away, if you invest $5000 per year, you will have a million dollar account in 30 years. People seems to forget that (or never learned it).
    You say that you can no longer waitress due to the physical strain - yes, waitressing can be a brutal job, on your feet for many hours. How about getting an office job instead, sitting at a desk is easy on the body. Or driving - sitting in a vehicle is easy on the body (unless you are an over-the-road truck driver). But the in-town delivery jobs are easier - USP driver, FEDEX, driver, mail delivery, etc. Staying home and cooking for two is not saving money much money. (We often go to breakfast at McD, $4.40 for 2 senior coffees, two sausage biscuits. We could barely make eggs, coffee, and toast at home for that.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Personally, I would jump on that deal like a hyperactive puppy.

But how you feel is big part of it too.

Financial you would probably be better off. You might not save much on rent, but you could probably find a place a lot nicer for the same money somewhere else.

Is the cost of living really high over all, or is it mostly because the cost of rent/mortgage is high? I live in a high cost of living area myself. Things are more expensive overall, but the big thing is the ridiculously high price of rent/mortgage.

How do you feel about the area where you are living? Do you like the area? Or is it just familiarity that keeps you there? Or do you have close ties with friends and family you would be giving up? Family you might rather live farther away from? Are you involved with any community organization or group you would miss?

If you have not lived in other places it is good to at least take short trips to places you are thinking about moving to. There are cities I have been surprised by, in a good way. It is hard to explain in words, but the city just feels right to me. On the other hand some cities were nice to visit but did not inspire the same feelings.

I think I understand a little about the whole growing up poor thing. You get used to it. And there is a undercurrent of being content with your lot in life. A little voice that whispers that maybe you don't deserve more. Yes, I have been in therapy. Maybe it is just me, but the transition from poor to not poor brings a bit of emotional baggage to work through.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It doesn't sound like you like the place you live right now. Have you and your DH had a talk about what you dream about, what your goals are? How would you live if jobs and money didn't matter?
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since hubby is a IT guy, he can work from home and that home can be anywhere. Since you drive for Uber, you could work anywhere as well. That being said, it's up to you. What are the pros/cons of moving? Lots of people do it to save $. What's the worst that can happen? Once you know the answers to the WHY questions, the answer should reveal itself.