Dave Ramsey Book Question 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Dave Ramsey Book Question 2

Hi

Iin Chapter 1 of the book Dave talks about how he felt being so far in debt. He states he felt inadequate, crushed, scared and going through hell. He was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Have you ever felt that way? Did you ever think that money and spending could be such a depressing issue?

I can honestly say that I felt that way early on in my marriage. We had to live with my parents for for the first year because of money. Not so romantic. I didn't think of money being depressing until that time. but struggling to make it has made me have a better appreciation for it.

Kellie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't think I ever felt crushed particularlly. But scared, yes I felt that a lot. Thankfully it never got so bad that I couldn't make all my bills or anything but there for a while I was juggling billings trying to get everything paid on time. I did have a few times that things were paid late though.

I wasn't sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was sick and tired of being stressed out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess what I feel is panic...I don't like to owe money. It doesn't seem to bother my DH, he will just say...We'll pay it somehow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have felt it. Panic,desperation,anger,resentment. DH let me do all the financials, and I would tell him where things stood. I have always said if he got a dime he would spend a dollar. He would open credit cards while I was at work, go to the ATM at least 2xs a week and not tell me. We would have NSFs and I was left to clean up the mess. Finally it broke through to him that impulsiveness was ruining our lives, financial and married. A friend was familiar with DR and I poured myself into the program. DH was the typical free spirit, feeling like I was trying to control HIM instead of the money. After I basically dragged him to a Live Event and he heard DR himself, he saw the light.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I have felt anxiety and depression over money but usual these days its just your regular generic brand of WORRY. Hubby has a good job and money is coming in but I put a LOT of pressure on myself to be the best money manager that I CAN. That is where most of my worry is based. I don't remember being very worried early in our marriage but we were also living very unconsiously(sp) and we were very young. I cringe over the years of money wasted. Like Oprah says, when you know better you do better. At some point The Tightwad Gazette came in this house and I couldn't lie to myself any longer. I knew the level of dissrespect around here had to be addressed. Dissrespecting hubby and his income, my kids future, my abilities as the at-home parent. Time to face the music I guess. Once in a while we do something stupid with money but not near as often as we used to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't felt scared because we've never been to a point where we couldn't make payments but I am absolutely sick and tired of owing money. We make a good income, so there's no reason why we should be living in debt.

Since we started keeping a budget a few months ago I love the feeling that I actually have control over my money. I've never felt in power of my finances before.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yeah, I've been there. Newly divorced, low income, no help. It got so bad there were some nights, I'm ashamed to admit, that daughter and I went to bed without dinner more than a few nights, no food no money. I was too proud to ask for help. Avoiding the phone, creditors calling at work, depression, you name it. Really rough time. That was my sick and tired point. That was 7 years ago and I NEVER want to visit that place again. Although dh and I are doing good now, I'm more careful than before because I know how life changes on you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can relate to all of the other posts. I am tired of being sick and tired. I want more control of our money, because it makes Dh and I our lives are less tension filled. I hate worrying about $.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been in the same boat as everyone else. Worried, sad, mad, avoiding...

I think a good term for my financial situation is:

apathetic

If dh and I don't do something....we will never have ANYTHING in the future.

We are property managers, so we don't have a mortgage or utility payments, however....someday we will need a home and will have to pay utility payments. We have no retirement and no life insurance. So we are trying to look to our future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was a lot like June when I was married. I was constantly putting out fires. My ex would also withdraw money from the ATM and not tell me. Once he went on an outing with a friend and withdrew money from our mortgage money and didn't tell me. I didn't know until the check for the mortgage bounced. Another time, he went to a baseball training camp and didn't even tell me he was going. I woke up to find a note he had written and money withdrawn from our account. After that I opened my own checking account in my name only. I was worried I could lose our home if he continued with that.

Now that I'm divorced, I have a lot less stress where money is concerned. Even though I don't have the extra paycheck, I have learned to adjust. Since I found the Dave Ramsey plan, I now have a direction in which I want to go. I'm happier now than I have been in a very long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can relate too. It does make me sick and tired of feeling stressed about debt. I'm glad I found this website this summer. I'm not sure if I would have heard of Dave Ramsey otherwise. I really like the gazelle intense idea and DH is finally on board. We were having ATM issues too until I made him start tracking money.. then he realized how difficult it was when someone didn't tell him about a withdrawl. I think that is why I like the envelope system. Can that be a discussion questions down the line? I would like to hear more from people about how they use it.
    thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not panic and crushed - but it has been a worry over the years. I used to worry how we would ever afford college for DS more than anything - and it's working out just fine. Most things usually do if you try and focus.

That said, sometimes I feel resentful at my age that I still have to watch my money so closely - at least while DS is in college two more years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh I have felt it all. We have had many ups and downs. I don't miss the many years of sleepless nights. It takes so much out of you.
    I hope our goals will help us continue to sleep well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been the person 99% in charge of paying bills etc all our 15 yrs. I felt sick and like a failure when I realized we were over 16K in cc debt a few years ago on top of the mortgage and car loans. Dh said I shouldnt as we'd both done it together but I felt that way. I felt absolutely amazing when I paid off the cc's and car loans. Dh wasn't as happy because he had never dealt with the finances. I personally was walking on cloud 9!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have had many different "financial" cycles throughout the 21 years we have been married! In the beginning we had debt up to our eyeballs and didn't learn a thing about paying things off......we would get ourselves right back into that same dark hole over and over again! I did get tired of being in debt and worrying about how we were going to make it all work. Although we are in a much better place financially, we do still have a small amount of cc debt plus a vet bill and a car loan to pay and I feel a greater urgency to pay these off now then I ever did when we were in much deeper debt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast