Question 4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question 4

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have read alot about consumerism. I have read before that something like 80% of marketing is directed at kids. WHY? Because they are the future spenders of America, and because they know MOST (not all, I being 1) cannot tell their kids NO! Imho, I think this is because alot of parents are out their trying to have it all, and they feel guilty for denying there kids the love and attention that matters and they compensate with material. Its the easiest way I guess!
    WE say no to consumerism by saying no to the boob tube! We don't watch ANY t.v programs, we own a t.v but we only watch carefully selected movies.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Most of you know that I am a property manager. I can't tell you the number of times that tenants call me and say, " I can't pay my rent because my car payment is due" or some other excuse.

When I managed low income housing, I had tenants with supposed Zero income. However, if they had zero income....how do they afford to get their nails done, and that cell phone they brought with them is way more expensive than mine..... Of course I will say, this and it a strong belief of mine. IT IS NOT A CRIME TO BE POOR! (It is a crime to lie on an application for low income housing).

Consumerism is wild. I think I owe it to my kids not to expose them as much as I can. We work on this constantly and I will say that my little ones are not as "driven" as their friends. I think we need to remind our kids....just because you see it on tv, doesn't make it so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Guilty. I can't sit here and say that I am not guilty. I have been caught up in materialism....otherwise I wouldn't have CC debt. However, I have come to realized that no matter what you buy, there is always going to be someone else out there with a bigger, better, more expensive something than the one you have. AND, they are going to have a bigger, more expensive CC debt, too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First thing when the mail comes in is I chuck most of it right away. Flyers catalogs, credit card applications, they all go. My kids see me open bills and checks. They wait every month for their bank statment in the mail. A lot of the gimmies start with what is in our mail box. The tv is another one. We watch a lot of kids videos instead of regular tv. The worst comes from our kids friends. I am friends with a great group of women that actually warn eachother if one of our kids gets something new (gift) and we have a chance to sit down with our kids and explain how this new great thing came about and under no circumstances are we getting one! We will call eachother or get together to discuss school supplies, no one got the 13 dollar compass set we all went 3.99 ! It is a constant battle to prove to my kids that they will not die if they don't have whatever it is they are craving. A 300 dollar hockey stick and a 30 dollar hockey stick can score the same goal provided you practice hard and know how to shoot. A duffel bag and a fancy rolly suitcase still get all your figure skating stuff to the rink! It is a battle but we love a challenge!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with all the other posters. What also makes me mad is that they are preying on people's emotions to give us that feeling that if I see others having that (fill in the blank) and I don't have it, then somehow I'm not good enough until I have it too. I can see how people who have low self esteem would readily buy into that way of thinking and it really makes me angry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with what everyone else had said. I think that we are an "entitlement" society, and that we have this fear that if we don't have all of the latest material goods that the Jones's have, that somehow we are "poor" and that we "aren't making it like we should be"

I will say that I place more blame on the individual than on advertising, but I don't think that advertising helps. We have NO television in our home, and we plan to keep it that way for some time, particularly with a baby on the way. I don't want them to grow up being bombarded with advertising.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My Dh says that women dress for other women, and buy expensive purses, etc. to impress other women
    I agree with this - I struggle at work because people make little comments to me abuot not being in style. I also see how nice others look and I think "i could look like that" but two things - one: I will choose comfort over style anyday, and two: I simply don't have the money. I will wear the same shoes every day for 3 years and think nothing of it. They still look very nice (no scuffs ect) I dont need a third pair of black boots because they have the new "wedge" heel. (actual conversation last week).
    I still have clothes from high school, nice sweaters, any my ten year reunion is next year. I take care of my clothes and they look nice.
    true, I have fallen prey a few times, but those clothes the ones I bought to "keep up" I don't wear anymore, hell dont' even own anymore, so now, it's just me and my old warddrobe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are absolutely in an entitlement minded society...Dave Ramsey was talking about this the other day and said something like "Oh, I deserve XYZ because I breathe air!" and how important it is that kids learn about earning and saving money.

I grew up in a home where we always had enough money to eat, keep the lights and heat on, and keep the gas tank full, but sometimes that was it. We wore second hand clothes (I always loved going to the thrift store because it was the one place where mom never said no! LOL), everything in the fridge was for a certain meal, and dinner at McD's happened maybe 5 times a year. I think this is the main reason I'm not trying to keep up with the Joneses...I had a very happy childhood with little so I don't feel like I need a lot now.

There is so much pressure nowadays...buy it now, pay later! When our $5 garage sale couch wore out DH and I went to a popular furniture store. They had a couch on sale (big ads, flyers, the works) for $400 and we could pay for that in cash, so that's what we told the sales guy we wanted. "Oh, I'm sorry, this couch is on backorder for at least 6 weeks, but we have something similar right here you could take home today...". For almost double the price!! We held our ground, resigned to the fact that we'd be using an air mattress as our couch for 6 weeks. Low and behold, 2 weeks later our new couch arrived. (*insert eye roll here*)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12