Not sure if this is the right area..Dave Ramsey Question

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Not sure if this is the right area..Dave Ramsey Question

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this should be in the Dave Ramsey subfolder or not but I will ask anyways

Also upfront: This question is not meant to offend anyone and if it does I apologize in advance.

I have been reading a lot about Dave Ramsey and how his financial advise is pretty good but I also heard that he interjects a lot of Christianity in his books too.

I am not a part of the Christian faith anymore and while I respect those that do immensely I am curious about those that also aren't that read his books to see if they come off overbearing (again not to offend anyone)

We don't have any debt per se but I can alway use good financial advise especially when it comes to retirement planning.

I just would like an sum-up before I place a hold on his book at the library

Thank you in advance,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know most people recommend using his books to use his methodology, but I only skimmed over TMMO and didn't really need it. I found most of the ideas online and was able to implement them that way.

I don't remember the books being overbearing, but then again I only skimmed them as I mentioned earlier.

You really don't have anything to lose if you're just borrowing them from the library. If it's not your cup of tea, just return them and follow the steps w/o the book.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not Christian and I didn't find him being Christian overbearing. It's obvious that he is, but I don't usually find other people discussing their religion offensive to me. I found that his good advice out weighed the religious aspect that I didn't follow. (did that last sentence even make sense?) He does recommend tithing 10% of your income, but I just ignore that rule. I donate a portion of my income and consider that my "tithing". I don't find it offensive that people do tithe. Anyway...if you find the subject of tithing overbearing then I wouldn't read it, I was able to overlook it.
    Hope that helps!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not a Christian either and I found his book wonderful and his methods are proven to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't read his books but i've watched his tv broadcast on Fox for the past few months. He really doesn't seem to envangelize his faith but you can see where his ethics of "Manning up" and taking care of your responsibilities, find a way to give, are based on a strong christian foundation.

I have seen him offer services to those in great need (due to the loss of a love one) free of charge/on his dime.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone- I will go ahead and place a hold on his book and hopefully I can get some new financial information

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same here - I did not find his views on Christianity overbearing at all. He even recognizes that not everyone is the same concerning their beliefs. He had has a great Rabbi on that has a show on the West Coast - I am soooo stumped for his name, and Dave says that's the man he goes to for his financial advice! Rabbi Labine I think...
    With any faith based life advice book - I just ignore the Christian spin and go with the meat of the book regarding the advice. It def a good and easy read!
    Dianne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've only listened to his radio broadcast once, and there's a bit more spirituality in it, but not overbearingly so, by a long shot. I'd have listened more, but the reception here is terrible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He is a spirtual man and that comes thru like the others mentioned, but not in an overbearing way.

However, his specaility is overcoming debt and getting a solid foundation. If you are looking for specific retirement planning you won't find it in his books. He'll tell you that you need to save at least 15% for retirement and will suggest some basic/ generic investment plans, that's about it.

Just FYI

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was raised in a catholic houshold, but I am not a procticing Catholic.

There is a fair bit of "Christian" references littlered through out his book.

It didn't bother me as it was not the ram it down your throat variety.

As with most books I read, I took and used what was useful and left the rest. He has very solid reasonings behind his ideas and I didn't find the Christian thing too over powering.

Hope this helps