may be having to deal with fraudulent charges

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default may be having to deal with fraudulent charges

Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this, but here goes.

I'm kind of a paranoid person so I've worried about this for years, someone getting hold of our cc numbers. I thought I took safeguards, and luckily I do pay for credit monitoring and id theft protection through my bank, so if things get really messy, that's there.

I have a washington mutual card I paid off in December. I didn't close it incase of a bigger emergency than we can handle, and frankly I like logging in to my account to look at the zero balance, heh. I usually go through all our cc accounts at least once a week to make sure nothing hinky is going on (I look at our checking and savings almost everyday.)

Well tonight I logged in and there it was, a $1 outstanding authorization. At first I thought it was some kind of charge for not using the card for six months, but the girl on the phone said it was some internet sales company (I kind of had a hard time understanding, it was past ten and I was routed out of country I think.) A teaser authorization, I'm sure, like when you get gas, lord knows what's gonna end up being put through. I had them place a stolen card/number change thing on my account. She says I can't dispute the charge until it goes through -- well if I'm saying it's stolen *now*, why would they let it go through anyhow? bah! I'm still hoping it's some kind of accident and nothing will come through. I'm going to call back tomorrow and see if I can speak to someone with less of an accent (I have a terrible time hearing on the phone in the first place, throw in an accent and I'm doomed.)

I'm definitely closing the account after I'm sure everything is cleared up, and I told DH to call and close the one of his that's empty, too. The other couple accounts look fine.

Somebody tell me you had this happen and it wasn't a big deal, please? Pretty please?!?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by janelane View Post
    She says I can't dispute the charge until it goes through -- well if I'm saying it's stolen *now*, why would they let it go through anyhow?
    It's a system issue - the charge is showing up as a pending transaction, but it has to be fully processed before they can take action on it. Annoying, I know, but sadly true of many mainframe based applications.

Somebody tell me you had this happen and it wasn't a big deal, please? Pretty please?!?
    Yep, twice, no big deal. No - sorry, three times. Just check on the transaction a couple times a day until its actually "posted", then call them up and dispute the charge. VISA has a 0 liability guarantee, so they'll cancel the charge and try to talk you into a replacement card.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it's funny that she wouldn't hold the charge when you've reported it stolen. VERY odd. It HAS to be the accent thing.

So, dh has had that problem too. Some internet company. Putting small charges through - nothing over $10- so as to not raise eyebrows. Do that 100,000 times successfully. (I'm in the wrong business!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It turns out okay. Had one card canceled twice because of those. They send you a new card with a new account number.

Canceled it for good this last time 'cause the institution kept calling with offers exclusive for cardholders. I'd told them on last rounds of this that I wasn't interested and to remove me from their list. They seem to forget. I told them again this time, but when I got one more call, I snail mailed them a letter to cancel the account. (For good.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had it happen to me with my debit card when I was pg with DS2. They bought an airline ticket on Continental out of Houston. Funny thing to buy since DH is an airline pilot - we don't buy tickets - so that really jumped out at me on my statement!

We called Continental and explained what happened, the person that bought the ticket didn't even show up for the flight. I called WAMU and they immediately refunded me $99 as "good faith" money (it was a $400 charge). After I filled out the paperwork and they investigated, they refunded the full $400, then deducted the original $99.

It was all said and done in about 4-6 weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I check our bank and credit cards about two or three times a week. I bug DH about the ones that are "ify". Usually, they are his work stuff that he forgot to tell me about.