Tips for Failure - Or - How to Guarantee a Life Of Being Broke - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see myself in a lot of these. I guess its better to learn at 24 than 34...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Mindi. Thanks for posting again. Seems the contract is settled at work and the rhetoric is calming down. We're waiting for back pay and our increased salary. DH and I switched the way we handled finances in January, and it's resulted in more funds to put aside for car and house repair/replacement, which is making me breathe a lot easier these days. So...

Don't roll with the punches. Is my newest addition. Be willing to take advantage of the opportunities life throws at you. And when you see a negative situation, look for the positive in it. Usually if you can't create income from it, you can either learn from it and/or create a network/contact that might eventually lead to an income/barter situation you can use to your benefit. This is not to say you should be looking at your contacts with an eye to using them. But that you should look at them and try to see how you can fill their needs at a reasonable cost to you (either time, money, or knowledge). They, in turn, will want to repay your kindness. Those that are just wanting you for what you can give them, drop fast. I have found it true that "what goes around, comes around".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be sure to develop a caffeine and/or sugar addiction so you can't do without coffee, sodas, etc. even though you don't have money to buy healthy food.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    Be sure to develop a caffeine and/or sugar addiction so you can't do without coffee, sodas, etc. even though you don't have money to buy healthy food.
    My sugar addition is the worst of my habits ~ ugh!!!! (I think, ask others and they might say I have even worse ones ~ LOL)...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't network with your neighbors in fact don't get to know them AT ALL...Although they may have skills that you do not have such as car repair, fence/roof building/repair, painting, concrete repair etc. and they may be willing to show or assist you with these services.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wanting what you want when you want it
    Buying, dressing, spending to impress others
    Putting your head in the sand over finances and letting them take care of themselves

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    and if you are getting a little warm while lying in that chaise lounge sunning yourself....leave the garden hose beside your chair...and leave it running (so you don't have to get up of course) so that you can 'hose' yourself down....you wouldn't want to get too hot....
    people do this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

"... but i can't stay in teaching, I'm not making enough money to live...!" whine!

said my student teachee couple of years ago while she had, easily, 5 Starbucks in her hand per day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WHINE ABOUT EVERYTHING!!! Oh you have to be good at whining if you seriously want to fail in this lifetime. Anytime anyone mentions a hardship they're going through, be ready with your own sob story. "You think you've got it rough? The bank sent me a credit card and I figured, 'Well, they think I can make the payments so I should be able to do it!' Then they raised the interest rate on me -- they make those contracts so hard to read! And my tires need to be changed and I just bought that second vehicle, so now I'm totally strapped for cash. And my parents won't lend me money anymore because they say they have to pay their own bills -- my dad's retired, he's totally loaded. And my boss is such a jerk, just because I came in 10 minutes late for work last week. Doesn't he know how difficult it is to get through rush hour traffic at 8:30am? My life is so miserable, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't bother reading the instruction manuals. Who do those foreigners think they are, telling you have to install that program on your computer, or how to build this cabinet? Pfft, what a waste of time! Just throw it together -- you can always buy a new one if it doesn't work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Only ask advice of people with little more knowledge than you do. My uncle's businesses have gone bust 3 times -- he's the perfect person to ask about entreprenurship! My sister can't keep from spending too much on her credit cards -- I should ask her about paying off debts. That frat boy I live next door to just spent $600 on a license plate that says "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!" for his 2014 Porche Turbo S -- maybe he has some suggestions on getting a loan for a new car.

This little gem comes from watching Sex and the City -- my four single girlfriends who are constantly in and out of relationships are the perfect people to go ask advice for about men!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't fall for what George Carlin calls, "The American Okey-Doke".

"Tell the truth don't be bulshitting people, there is enough bullshit as it is. In fact there is just enough, there is just enough bullshit to bind things together in this nation. Bullshit is the glue, that binds us as a nation. Where would we be without our safe familiar American bullshit. Land of the free, home of the brave, the american dream, all men are equal, justicei s blind, the press is free, your vote counts, business is honest, the good guys win, the police is on your side, god is watching you, your standard of living will never decline. And everything is gonna be just fine. The official nationalbullshit story. I call it the American okey doke."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't buy/maintain homeowners insurance on your house because the premiums are much too high and after all it is such a llloonnnggg shot that you will have a fire and it burn to the ground instead use the money on entertainment...after all you only live once.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Buy the maximum of house you can afford according to the bank, especially looking for size and not how much costs there will still be involved in the renovation of the house. This is what a friend of mine did, who works weekends to pay the mortgage and spends a lot of free time renovating a house. Don't get me wrong, I really hope it will work out for her but financially it wasn't a good move.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure you equate progress with "doing something" and/or "buying something." Many of us (myself included) were raised in an atmosphere of solving problems by throwing money at them, and I see no reason to change this system. Need to diet? Be sure to spend some money on the "right" pre-made foods and diet aids, before you begin. Likewise, if you are trying to budget or embrace frugality, be sure you remember that you have to buy that neat custom coupon holder, purchase the cool online budgeting and shopping applications, and other such expenditures.... you can't be frugal if you don't spend money on the right stuff for it!

(This problem persists for me today, though I am getting better, but the big secret is that a lot of frugality is NOT "doing something"... not spending, not going out, not making big, expensive plans. It is difficult to ratchet that down and understand that is progress, too, but if you want to succeed, it's a good place to start.)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast